2 Amazing Kick Shots at the Joss Tour from MD

freedog69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 Good Kick Shots at the Joss Tour from MD

There was some good shots made during this tournament that I was lucky to get on tape. Mike made during his match. I just happen to be recording it and I guess Snookers was not recording. So here it is for everyone to see...

For F##$$ Sake it was a pool shot and you guys argue like the world is going to end. It never ceases to amaze me how this forum can blow things out of proportion.

3 Rail kick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nCPB5SCC_I

1 Rail Kick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTWINtZ77QA

Enjoy!

Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I've actually shot the first one (3 rails) a couple of times and I've only been playing a couple of years. Once you learn "spot-on-the-wall" it's pretty consistent. Getting position of the 9 was a bonus though.

IMHO the 1-rail shot was more luck. Mike has a huge amount of skill, but that shot could have gone in many directions.

BTW, many thanks for using an overhead camera. I wish more streamers were able to.

Last edited:

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The three-rail kick is dead on from corner to corner, but I'm surprised that he hit the first rail at the third diamond in order to get it around the table. Most pool tables you need to aim with running english at about the second or second-and-a-half diamond in order to get it to go. It appears that particular table is on system like a billiards table.

I have no guess on the one rail kick. If he's able kick it and cut the one in that pocket again once in 10 more tries, then god bless.

ceodynamo

Have cue will travel
Silver Member
Pffft

To the two chicago gentleman, I expect you are world champions and play in consistant tournaments and gamble alot to consider those shots "Not Amazing"

That 3 rail with the cue ball in the corner jaws is a very tough shot and Mike made it look easy with little lining up. and the one rail kick was played perfect maybe he meant to make and maybe he didn't. But at the Pro level, which I am assuming both of you are, the pros plan to make that shot. I would say he planned it bc the cue ball got lined up right on the 2.

Give the guy some credit, They were both Amazing shots and hard to pull off.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The three rail kick was phenomenal. Mike was jacked up and frozen to the inside cushion, a very different shot than the one most of us fiddle around with from time to time. Hitting the eight would have been no big deal, but making it was a very big deal. Those of you who think it's dead must be either Filipino or delusional.

stutz

did you call that?
Silver Member
what about that reverse cut shot on the 3 rail video??? As my post read " sick back cut" :eek:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
To the two chicago gentleman, I expect you are world champions and play in consistant tournaments and gamble alot to consider those shots "Not Amazing"

That 3 rail with the cue ball in the corner jaws is a very tough shot and Mike made it look easy with little lining up.

Sorry, but I'm a complete amateur, C-player and I've made that 3-railer more often than I've missed it. There is no lining up; from where the balls are positioned there's only one place to aim: just below the 3rd diamond will send the CB straight to the corner pocket. It's the shot you make to determine the spot-on-the-wall trick.

Youtube.com has dozens of videos that explain the shot. Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkr9z0bwLUE

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I've done those shots before. OK, maybe once or twice.
The difference with me is, it was 85% luck and the rest maybe ability.

Just say great shots Mike and don't over analyze it too much.

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and the one rail kick was played perfect maybe he meant to make and maybe he didn't. But at the Pro level, which I am assuming both of you are, the pros plan to make that shot. I would say he planned it bc the cue ball got lined up right on the 2.
If you think for even a micro-second that one rail kick was intentional,
I've got a bridge I'd like you to look at.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe the fact that he had to kick 3 rails in the first place instead of just getting out is the reason he's not on the MC team :)

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Correct, bdorman and I are both world beaters.

That 3 rail with the cue ball in the corner jaws is a very tough shot and Mike made it look easy with little lining up.

There is nothing difficult about that shot at all. Period.
I'll tell you what is amazing... the fact he didn't scratch when he cut the seven in the side. Because that was as dead a three rail scratch as the three rail kick was dead on the eight. But you're probably amazed at how he avoided the scratch, too. Mad skills.

and the one rail kick was played perfect maybe he meant to make and maybe he didn't. But at the Pro level, which I am assuming both of you are, the pros plan to make that shot. I would say he planned it bc the cue ball got lined up right on the 2.

Obviously, I can't tell you what was in his head when he kicked at the one, but as Danimal already said, if he can make that ball more than 10% I'll admit it's amazing. Until then, if he is kicking with the intent to make it, it was fortunate at best. Calculated good fortune? Certainly. But more lucky than amazing.

Give the guy some credit, They were both Amazing shots and hard to pull off.

They were both good shots, not amazing. But then what isn't amazing to one may very well be to another.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, but I'm a complete amateur, C-player and I've made that 3-railer more often than I've missed it. There is no lining up; from where the balls are positioned there's only one place to aim: just below the 3rd diamond will send the CB straight to the corner pocket. It's the shot you make to determine the spot-on-the-wall trick.

Youtube.com has dozens of videos that explain the shot. Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkr9z0bwLUE

Made it more often than missed it!? Did you really? :rolleyes:

Overstatement, undoobitably.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There was alot of excitement over this 3 rail Efrenish kick Mike made during his match. I just happen to be recording it and I guess Snookers was not recording. So here it is for everyone to see...

3 Rail kick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nCPB5SCC_I

1 Rail Kick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTWINtZ77QA

Enjoy!

The Efrenish 3-railer would not have been necessary if he played the 7-ball
like Efren....with a bit of draw to shorten it off the first rail, to get the
five rail shape he was playing.

The second kick...the skill is in hitting it....a good player gets luckier
than a bad player 'cause he hits more hooks.

I love the vids....hope you go to more tournaments, sir.

Joe T

The 3 railer was an amazing shot. The overhead didn't do it enough justice. If you could have seen the cb up close still spinning with all that right as it hit the end rail side rail you would have just about fell of your chair as I almost did. That was no 8 ball hanging in the pocket and I'm just going to tap it in. He knew he had to hit it with speed to create distance after the hit. Fortunately that speed paid dividends after being so accurate.

Glad you caught that on film because we forgot to hit the record button for the that match and I was sick we didn't have it, TY.

Forget the 7 ball error, it was the 6 ball error that put him there. When you're in line fight hard to stay in line!

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
The three rail follow for position on the six was a better shot to me than the one rail kick where he lucked in the ball.

The three rail kick was awesome. Whats not to love about that one? moments like that are why pool is such a fun sport.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've actually shot the first one (3 rails) a couple of times and I've only been playing a couple of years. Once you learn "spot-on-the-wall" it's pretty consistent. Getting position of the 9 was a bonus though.

IMHO the 1-rail shot was more luck. Mike has a huge amount of skill, but that shot could have gone in many directions.

BTW, many thanks for using an overhead camera. I wish more streamers were able to.

Did you make it with the object ball to one side of the hole (it was not in the middle) and a foot away from the pocket?

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 3 railer was an amazing shot. The overhead didn't do it enough justice. If you could have seen the cb up close still spinning with all that right as it hit the end rail side rail you would have just about fell of your chair as I almost did. That was no 8 ball hanging in the pocket and I'm just going to tap it in. He knew he had to hit it with speed to create distance after the hit. Fortunately that speed paid dividends after being so accurate.

Glad you caught that on film because we forgot to hit the record button for the that match and I was sick we didn't have it, TY.

Forget the 7 ball error, it was the 6 ball error that put him there. When you're in line fight hard to stay in line!

Well.....if Joe Tucker thought it was amazing, and worthy of him saying he had to clap for that shot.....it was...amazing.

Joe been around. He knows stuff.

He appreciated the shot....that settles it in my mind.

Sure, most of us would make a good hit, but hit at that pace and spin, and get dead straight on the nine...amazing..and a bit lucky. It was not a hanger.

Nice shot Mike, with an amazing result.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 3-railer was no gimme. The 1-rail kick was surely lucky.

That said, I think Efren would have cut the 7 ball in the corner and beat the scratch instead of back cutting the 7 ball 86 degrees.