The Color of Money (film 1986)

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Ooh, I'm glad TCOM is on blueray now. When The Hustler came out with a blueray edition, they interviewed a lot of pool peeps, including Mike Massey, about the shots in the movie. I loved it.

TCOM was a godsend to the American pool world. It was filmed in 1985, but it came out in 1986. I remember a bunch of us from our neighborhood pool room drove over to the Avalon movie theater, a real old-timey place, and sat in the back. We were giggling and lauging all the way through, as some of the scenes are a wee bit corny for real pool aficionados like us, but we loved every minute of it.

Pool enjoyed a surge of popularity after TCOM. Not so much the hustling aspect of it, but people wanted to learn how to play pool. Leagues became popular, and the social shooters grew in numbers. Pool was a social game where men and women, girls and boys could have fun together. It was a good way to meet people because you had to speak: "Do you have stripes or solids?" "Do you want to break?" "Let's play partners."

Tom Cruise couldn't play too well, but Paul Newman knew the game. Willie Mosconi, as most know, was the technical director to The Hustler, and Mike Sigel was the technical director for TCOM. Keith McCready did spend some time with Tom Cruise alone, helping him with his stroke a little bit. Keith still gets royalty checks from SAG (Screen Actors Guild), though they're pretty small these days. Maybe this new blueray edition will boost his checks a little.

Martin Scorsese hand-picked Keith to play Grady Seasons after seeing Keith in action. Keith was feeling no pain at the time, as usual, and was barking up a storm. Marty, et al., pullled Keith in the backroom and said they wanted him in the movie. Keith actually wanted the black cowboy part, but Martin Scorsese already knew what part Keith would play.

Months went by after that, and Keith went on being Keith, on the road like a rolling stone, never had a home. The film crew was trying to get in touch him to come to Chicago to sign up. They finally found Keith, and he arrived at the audition spot in Chicago. Rumor had it that they wanted real pool players in the background and were paying $50 a day for stand-ins. There were a line outside going around the building of pool players, hoping to get picked.

When Keith arrived in a limo, he stepped outside and looked at the line. He already had an appointment and was already chosen, so he did not have to stand in line. He looked at his fellow brethren of players and said, "How are you doing, boys?" and proceeded to walk right in ahead of everyone, gloating and chuckling the whole way.

To this day, everywhere Keith goes, people ask him to say his famous line: "It's like a nightmare, isn't it?"

Pool could use another good pool movie to put pool back on the map for mainstream America. I think the theme would be quite different, though. Gone are golden days of the road agents like Fast Eddie, Vincent, and Grady Seasons. Pool has taken on an international flavor.

Though today's young guns still travel the tournament trail around the world, it's like in their blood when it comes to competition in challenge matches; in other words, action. Witness Filler, Klenti, Bergman, and almost all of the Filipino new kids on the block at the Derby City Classic. You can take the pool player out of the action, but you'll never, ever take the action out of the pool player. Oh, the impossible dream!:wink:

"Rack 'em, Sausage" from The Hustler is my favorite line, and, of course, "It's like a nightmare, isn't it?" from TCOM. :D

Greatest post I've read in a long time! Thanks for sharing.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Yes, indeedy, Louie Roberts was. If memory serves me right, he is in the scenes in Atlantic City at the big tournament towards the end of the movie.

Other pool peeps in it were Jimmmy Mataya, Mike Sigel, Grady Mathews, Howard Vickery, and Mark Jarvis. Who am I forgetting?

The Miz
Jason

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paul Newman getting lessons from Willie Mosconi for the movie The Hustler.

Paul Newman getting tips from Willie Mosconi for THE HUSTLER movie.jpg

Reactions: LC3

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The opening scene in The Hustler where they hustle the greedy bartender is by far the best pool scene ever captured on film. I was hooked after that and had to learn how to make that shot. :D

Yes, indeedy, Louie Roberts was. If memory serves me right, he is in the scenes in Atlantic City at the big tournament towards the end of the movie.

Other pool peeps in it were Jimmmy Mataya, Mike Sigel, Grady Mathews, Howard Vickery, and Mark Jarvis. Who am I forgetting?

I went back and checked the scene where Eddie was in line, and sure enough, Louie was standing behind Newman as per Blackjack.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=11664

I have watched that movie well over 100 times. It used to be my night before a tournament ritual, and I missed Louie for over 30 years.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ooh, I'm glad TCOM is on blueray now. When The Hustler came out with a blueray edition, they interviewed a lot of pool peeps, including Mike Massey, about the shots in the movie. I loved it.

TCOM was a godsend to the American pool world. It was filmed in 1985, but it came out in 1986. I remember a bunch of us from our neighborhood pool room drove over to the Avalon movie theater, a real old-timey place, and sat in the back. We were giggling and lauging all the way through, as some of the scenes are a wee bit corny for real pool aficionados like us, but we loved every minute of it.

Pool enjoyed a surge of popularity after TCOM. Not so much the hustling aspect of it, but people wanted to learn how to play pool. Leagues became popular, and the social shooters grew in numbers. Pool was a social game where men and women, girls and boys could have fun together. It was a good way to meet people because you had to speak: "Do you have stripes or solids?" "Do you want to break?" "Let's play partners."

Tom Cruise couldn't play too well, but Paul Newman knew the game. Willie Mosconi, as most know, was the technical director to The Hustler, and Mike Sigel was the technical director for TCOM. Keith McCready did spend some time with Tom Cruise alone, helping him with his stroke a little bit. Keith still gets royalty checks from SAG (Screen Actors Guild), though they're pretty small these days. Maybe this new blueray edition will boost his checks a little.

Martin Scorsese hand-picked Keith to play Grady Seasons after seeing Keith in action. Keith was feeling no pain at the time, as usual, and was barking up a storm. Marty, et al., pullled Keith in the backroom and said they wanted him in the movie. Keith actually wanted the black cowboy part, but Martin Scorsese already knew what part Keith would play.

Months went by after that, and Keith went on being Keith, on the road like a rolling stone, never had a home. The film crew was trying to get in touch him to come to Chicago to sign up. They finally found Keith, and he arrived at the audition spot in Chicago. Rumor had it that they wanted real pool players in the background and were paying $50 a day for stand-ins. There were a line outside going around the building of pool players, hoping to get picked.

When Keith arrived in a limo, he stepped outside and looked at the line. He already had an appointment and was already chosen, so he did not have to stand in line. He looked at his fellow brethren of players and said, "How are you doing, boys?" and proceeded to walk right in ahead of everyone, gloating and chuckling the whole way.

To this day, everywhere Keith goes, people ask him to say his famous line: "It's like a nightmare, isn't it?"

Pool could use another good pool movie to put pool back on the map for mainstream America. I think the theme would be quite different, though. Gone are golden days of the road agents like Fast Eddie, Vincent, and Grady Seasons. Pool has taken on an international flavor.

Though today's young guns still travel the tournament trail around the world, it's like in their blood when it comes to competition in challenge matches; in other words, action. Witness Filler, Klenti, Bergman, and almost all of the Filipino new kids on the block at the Derby City Classic. You can take the pool player out of the action, but you'll never, ever take the action out of the pool player. Oh, the impossible dream!:wink:

"Rack 'em, Sausage" from The Hustler is my favorite line, and, of course, "It's like a nightmare, isn't it?" from TCOM. :D

Post of the day for sure. Thanks for sharing that:)

djg576

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Don Feeney?

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think taiwaneese movie Second chance did quite a good job on that one. Its just unlucky that it is almost unknown even among AZB folks..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqrtQdqKyq0

Mike Porter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the Color of Money, Life magazine (for the first time) came out with two covers for that month. If my memory serves me right, I read that was done to showcase both actors.PNCOM b.JPG

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
to me,

"the hustler" movie>book
"the color of money" book>movie

I'm glad all exist.

I agree. I liked the girlfriend killing herself in the movie. I mean it added a good amount of drama for Fast Eddie to carry into that final match and confrontation with Fats and Burt. That's about the only difference between the book and the movie -- the girl doesn't die in the book.

Color of Money movie is not based on the book. Instead of a story about a hotshot overly-obnoxious pool player wanting to go pro, the Color of Money book is about Eddie and Fats becoming friends years later (Fats is retired), and they start doing some exhibition matches for ESPN. It's a more real story. I liked the book better, better than the pool/billiard version of Top Gun, or a few years later...Days of Thunder.

I'm not saying I didn't like all these Tom Cruise movies...I thought they were great, even the Color of Money. I just liked the original sequel, as written by Tevis, much better. But Newman didn't like it because it wasn't flashy enough, so they kept the title but went with another writer, a different storyline.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I truly enjoyed/enjoy both movies. The only critic of them is they were unrealistic based on the "high" skill level of Fats, Eddie and Vincent.

No hundred+ ball runs, no packages run (plus the "Big Runout" by Vincent was so badly respoted that it's hard to watch without laughing out load).

Other than those aspects Great Movies...

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it wasn't for TCOM, pool in the U.S. may have died back then. Within a year of it coming out poolrooms opened EVERYWHERE, cuemakers couldn't keep up, there was ACTION damned near nationwide, lots of tournaments and best of all, LOADS of suckers. Every swingin' d^*k between 14-20 thought they were a playa'. That movie gave pool a major jump-start when it really needed it. Time for another good pool flic.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
For the Color of Money, Life magazine (for the first time) came out with two covers for that month. If my memory serves me right, I read that was done to showcase both actors.View attachment 513049

The East Coast edition had Paul Newman right side up and the West Coast edition did the same for Cruise. Newman got an Oscar for his part in this movie, partly as a payback from the Academy for overlooking his excellent portrayal of Fast Eddie years before in the original.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The East Coast edition had Paul Newman right side up and the West Coast edition did the same for Cruise. Newman got an Oscar for his part in this movie, partly as a payback from the Academy for overlooking his excellent portrayal of Fast Eddie years before in the original.
Jay, if someone decides to make a new pool flic you'd be good as the wise 'ol sage with the money. Kinda of a mellow version of George C. Scott. ;)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Good info here, but there's more to this story. I elaborated on it in Pool Wars. Jam is correct that Scorsese wanted Keith for the part! He put his wife and co-producer Barbara De Fina on the case to hunt him down. They contacted me since I had the only phone number as a contact for Keith. I tracked Keith down in Orange County and he wasn't interested in flying to Chicago to audition for a part. Scorsese's production company had to agree to pay all Keith's expenses to come back there and they did!

They mailed a copy of the script to my home to review with Keith. We went over it together and he told me he didn't like some of his lines. I called De Fina's office to tell her, and word came back from Scorsese to rewrite the lines the way Keith would say it, so we did that (in the margin of the script). The rewritten lines (plus some more that were added) were the ones used in the movie.

Scorsese and Cruise had been captivated by Keith at the U.S. Open in Norfolk when they saw him gambling with Danny Medina in the back room. Keith was doing his usual thing, throwing out original lines a mile a minute and they both stood along the wall for a couple of hours watching Keith play.

There's more but you get the gist of it here. Jam is right. They wanted Keith and Keith only for that part!

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
If it wasn't for TCOM, pool in the U.S. may have died back then. Within a year of it coming out poolrooms opened EVERYWHERE, cuemakers couldn't keep up, there was ACTION damned near nationwide, lots of tournaments and best of all, LOADS of suckers. Every swingin' d^*k between 14-20 thought they were a playa'. That movie gave pool a major jump-start when it really needed it. Time for another good pool flic.

So true....just like The Hustler did back in the 60's. I remember a few years back, we in the industry thought Poolhall Junkies would put some new life back into the pool scene. But it had a limited viewing audience (only released in a handful of cities), and so the anticipated pool mania never came.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, if someone decides to make a new pool flic you'd be good as the wise 'ol sage with the money. Kinda of a mellow version of George C. Scott. ;)

Ha Ha. Hollywood tried to make an actor out of me decades ago. They put me in a few commercials and auditioned me for a part in Raging Bull. I hated being told what to do and what to say. It just wasn't me! I always liked being my own boss.

Finally I ended up in a commercial where my part was playing the "second" for the heavyweight champ and I had to carry his belt across the ring holding it high above my head. Pretty simple huh. After about a dozen takes and having the director yell at me for not doing it right, I handed him the belt and told him he could do it. My Hollywood career was over! Thank God. :smile:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So true....just like The Hustler did back in the 60's. I remember a few years back, we in the industry thought Poolhall Junkies would put some new life back into the pool scene. But it had a limited viewing audience (only released in a handful of cities), and so the anticipated pool mania never came.
You had to be a REAL pool-nut to enjoy PJ's. It had its moments but overall it was seriously LAME. Walken's bathroom lion scene is a classic tho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzekDivpK3M