Suggestions for Team USA Mosconi Cup Coach

Who would be a good Mosconi Cup Team USA Coach?

• Ozzy Reynolds

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Jeremy Jones

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Shannon Daulton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Allen Hopkins

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Jim Rempe

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Nick Varner

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Johnny Archer

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Earl Strickland

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Scott Frost

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Billy Incardona

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • Pat Fleming

• Jay Helfert

Votes: 26 28.3%
  • Tony Robles

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Lee Brent

• Rodney Morris

• Dennis Hatch

• Stan Shuffett

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • C.J. Wiley

• John Schmidt

• Other

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a blind poll, so lurkers can feel free to vote.

I tell you, I was hard-pressed to come up with 20 names.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a name is not up there, please share a name in this thread and vote for Other.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Wilson was a teacher and could offer strategies and tips on different aspects of the game. I'm not so sure that a different coach is going to make any difference.

Most who have been a member on this forum for any length of time know how I feel about professional pool and its players. With that said, even though I respect them tremendously, I feel it is something in the players themselves that is disconnected, which needs to be fixed. Vincent Lombardi wouldn't be able to fix Team USA at this juncture.

With that said, what traits would be good ones for a Team USA coach to have?

Definitely teaching, recognizing faults, but what else?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I pose this question as food for thought. I have seen international coaches come to America to train our Olympians, whether it is skiing or ice skating, et cetera.

Does the coach for Team USA have to be American? What are your thoughts on that?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
JAM...check out my post on 'Putting Mosconi Cup pressure into perspective...' thread.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a name is not up there, please share a name in this thread and vote for Other.

Blackjack David Sapolis. It is obvious Team USA has the physical skills to win but we are seriously lacking when it comes to the mental game.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack David Sapolis. It is obvious Team USA has the physical skills to win but we are seriously lacking when it comes to the mental game.

Excellent choice. Why didn't I think of that? He's got teaching skills and can play. Great, great suggestion. Vote in the Other category for Blackjack. :cool:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM...check out my post on 'Putting Mosconi Cup pressure into perspective...' thread.

Definitely good reply. I don't know if a new coach is the magic bullet to effect a change for the better. I blame the players, and you know I'm a pro pool player kind of gal. I really don't like saying it o:embarrassed2:r thinking it.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony Robles

I believe he has morals and ethics similar to Wilson, but can be much more intense, which is what the players need to get them pumped.

Wilson's attitude on the surface always seemed to be a bit laissez-faire

Edit... Robles not Crosby

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I think Tony Robles, Scott Frost or Rodney Morris would be a great choice or a combination of the two of them. Scott can bring some fire to them as I saw with him being captain during Bonus Ball. Rodney has a very good personality and I think could bring the team together. Tony is a class act and respected. It is tough to pick between these three.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member

Thanks for mentioning me - however - I believe that many of the people already mentioned in this poll (to include combinations of those mentioned) would be a much better choice than me.

Over the past few years, I started coaching athletes in other sports with the mental game. Little by little the time I spent teaching pool dwindled and dwindled. This past September, I removed the last pool course from my weekly schedule. People in other sports appreciated and supported my work immensely - people in pool ... not so much. I've moved on and I haven't looked back. I enjoy working with athletes. This was a logical progression for me and one that was long overdue. Today, that is where my heart is - and - I have absolutely no desire to do anything with pool other than to play a few times a week in obscurity (where I belong).

I wish the best of luck to next Team USA Captain no matter who it is. They have a lot of work ahead of them.