What would you do???

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
I decided to participate in one of our major regional tournaments today (Planet Pool). This was the first time I had participated in several years because I had moved away from Maryland for a couple of years and then moved back but never felt like I was playing well enough to participate in this type of tournament.

However, I felt like I have been playing pretty well lately, so I thought it was the right time to give it a try. I wasn't really expecting a lot because the tournament has a lot of very strong players playing in it, but thought I would give it a try.

I ended up doing better than I expected and was one match out of the money, which was around 6:30pm on Saturday. However, my wife had planned a going away party with our friends that started at 7:00pm because we are moving to Texas in June.

So here I am, one match away from the money with a party starting very shortly with everyone expecting me to be there and I was at least an hour away.

What would you have done in this situation?

I decided to forfeit my last match and spend the time with my friends. I don't regret it; however, I would have really liked to play that last match.... Forfeiting sucks...even if it is for a good reason...

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
HitHrdNDraw said:
could have been worse. you stayed then lost.

exactly! this is one of those situations where it's best to think negatively!

tell youself you only would have lost if you stayed! :)

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no right or wrong decission. i love pool and my family, i'm happy if i'm with either.

on the other hand going away is big to me, it's important to say goodbye so you made the right choice

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I coulda been a contenda, I coulda been sumbody!"

sounds like you did the right thing, BUT you most likely would have won the event...........just don't think about that!:D

Gerry

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I forfeited too

I was playing what was granted a small money tournament when family matters called. I had gotten myself into the losers bracket of a true double elimination tournament and had to beat the guy on the winners side two matches to win. I had blown him out the first match and he knew he was toast, it was in his manner all through the second match. I was running out my last rack with only four or five balls left and a very doable run on the table when I got a message that the family needed me. I shot one more shot and set up exactly where I meant to, and then said forfeit and unscrewed my stick. Everyone has to set their own priorities but family and friends trump any single pool match for me. Your day will come again.

Hu

JDB said:
I decided to participate in one of our major regional tournaments today (Planet Pool). This was the first time I had participated in several years because I had moved away from Maryland for a couple of years and then moved back but never felt like I was playing well enough to participate in this type of tournament.

However, I felt like I have been playing pretty well lately, so I thought it was the right time to give it a try. I wasn't really expecting a lot because the tournament has a lot of very strong players playing in it, but thought I would give it a try.

I ended up doing better than I expected and was one match out of the money, which was around 6:30pm on Saturday. However, my wife had planned a going away party with our friends that started at 7:00pm because we are moving to Texas in June.

So here I am, one match away from the money with a party starting very shortly with everyone expecting me to be there and I was at least an hour away.

I decided to forfeit my last match and spend the time with my friends. I don't regret it; however, I would have really liked to play that last match.... Forfeiting sucks...even if it is for a good reason...

Mike_Mason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make plans to win...

Well you felt good enough to give it a try...but had low expectations...which included a family affair scheduled to guarantee an early exit...sometimes we get what we ask for...

I suggest that next time you "feel it's the right time to give it a try" then give yourself the time to devote to a complete tournament...including photo ops in the winner's circle...

Better luck next time...

Mike

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will leave a tournament at the drop of a hat for family or friends. You made a good decision in my opinion.

BlackDragon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...arrive at the party a winner and late. The party would been happening and the reasons good...:cool:

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt you needed to ask that question but your decision was correct.

Imagine this one. It was at my room playing a 5 handed ring game. I had run 4 racks and midway through the fifth. Trust me this 5th was a peice of cake. The bartender come up and said the name of who called and the house was on fire.

I shot the 5 or 6 into the rail, paid for that rack and left. When I got to the house it wasn't on fire nor had it been. What happened, I lived one place and owned a home not far away. I didn't get the name right since both sound similar.
The GF had called, where I lived, it was the house on fire and most was destroyed.

I did the right thing as well. No personal new records running 5 racks. The money although not bad doesn't mean much. The experience, priceless.

Rod

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JDB said:

If you were a match away from winning $10,000 what would you have done?

I rack balls

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have stayed, the party lasted for hours I am sure. If you won that match then the decision would have to of been made then. Where you movin' to in Texas????

Eric.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
i traded a good girl for pool once, big mistake.

Me too. I have a hunch a lot of us on here made that trade at sometime or another. I was lucky and found another good one. Been with her 40 years. Johnnyt

Catahula

I said "SIT!"
Silver Member
You decide whats important...

Family 1st....everything else can be tied for 2nd.
That tournament could have lasted another 60 minutes or 6 hours. How long do you want your marriage to last. Like everything else, it is only as good as you chose to make it. Sounds like you made a very enlightened decision. Congratulations.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
simple decision

a going away party to see your friends is a one time thing.....
many more tournaments to come........

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take it from a guy thats been around the block a couple of times. Family and friends come first. It took me years to find this out. I suffered the concequences of putting pool first. There is always another tournament. Put the priorities in the proper order.

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
You did the right thing. Tough to do but the right thing sometimes is.

Jim, give us a holler when you get down here. Look forward to seeing you again.

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
Thanks, everyone for your comments, I appreciate them. I agree with most everyone that responded, that I made the right decision. Tournaments come and go but friends are forever. And the friends that came to the going away party have been my friends for a very long time.

Eric - I am moving to the Dallas area. If you live in that area I would be happy to meet up and play.

Chilli - Thanks for the reply. I think we are almost there, we have an offer on the house. We should be moving down in late June if everything goes smoothly and I will definitely look you up to shoot some.

Thanks, again everyone, for your responses.