Orcollo might try to beat the 626 record

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How good do you have to be before you shouldn't try to break the record?

If I try to break it I bet nobody cares, but people care if other pros are now interested in straight pool?

What did John really think was going to happen? He drew some interest to the game and now you see more people playing.. and wanting to break records too. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree and the chances of it being broken so soon are slim to none.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How good do you have to be before you shouldn't try to break the record?

If I try to break it I bet nobody cares, but people care if other pros are now interested in straight pool?

What did John really think was going to happen? He drew some interest to the game and now you see more people playing.. and wanting to break records too. Nothing wrong with that.

Also, the more powerful and well-known names that try to break the record and fail will just validate John's 626 that much more.
There is a lot of upside to it all.
Best of Luck to Dennis, but if he tries for a few months and fails to break the Mosconi 526, and not John's 626....the stamp of validation will be placed on all of this. Now what if we had a string of high end players march to Monterey to get the same table, right next to the door, that John broke the record on, and they all fail. This cements a legacy.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the same people who said Schmidt would never crack 526 are saying Orcullo can break it.

I would bet nobody, other than Schmidt, breaks 626 in the next 12 months. Window is pretty wide open on this too.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis practicing 14-1 Live now https://www.facebook.com/RoysBasement/videos/683402925415281/

Maybe he's getting ready to go for the record soon :eek:

On ball 43, at 1:03:38.....
This is the type of break that will take the wind out of the sails of even the best of the best. Did he roll too far and it was too much of a cut? Did he hit the gap between two balls on the rack and not solid hit on a ball at the edge of the rack? So so so many variables to consider.

I'm not a veteran player by any means, but I learned early on that 14.1 was the most difficult of the pool games to master. I think many a pro will be watching this quest of Dennis and not even think about attempting a long-term run at the record. Too much dedication in time and concentration, and also, most pros need their rotation "paycheck" (if there is one) and from what I see, the 14.1 commitment will take an edge off the rotation skill-set.

John stated in his post-626 interview that he wanted to get his rotation game back to where it should be and compete. After so much 14.1, he is aware at his lag in this aspect of his game.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Schmidt dedicated a lot of time and effort to his attempts and that is what it takes. It's not that high runs like this are necessarily out of the Reach of the likes of Orcollo, it's just that it will take time, probably a lot more than he is willing to put in. Also there is the knowledge needed, which of course can be gained, but takes time..There is also the Luck factor, which will probably stop many, otherwise good attempts. A lot of Things has to go right for this to be pulled off.

I've heard cocky snooker players, especially, talk about how they could run 200 balls in straight pool without any difficulty at all. Then they run 60 and miss and think that proves their point...Why are People so God damned stupid? Most top elite players today are probably well capable of 200+ ball runs. But 400 or 600? Maybe not, at least not easily, and not just any pro. It takes a special kind of personality to stick With it, and to play the game correctly, without slacking off. Dennis has the raw ability, but does he have the stamina and drive to do it? I doubt it. Once he gets his first skid on a 200+ run, we'll se what he's made of. I've been wrong before, but I'm not holding my breath on this one. There certainly is easier Money to be made for Dennis.

maybe you are right. i still think there are a couple of pros capable of it, with josh filler being the most obvious candidate

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I agree and the chances of it being broken so soon are slim to none.

And I don't think Dennis is the one to do it.

Maybe Hohman or Appleton. Long shots but at least they've played the game a lot more.

Forget pocketing ability , reading the stack and patterns are more important imo.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I don't think Dennis is the one to do it.

Maybe Hohman or Appleton. Long shots but at least they've played the game a lot more.

Forget pocketing ability , reading the stack and patterns are more important imo.

As simple as it is ^^^^^^^^^ tap tap tap...

14.1 is a TOTAL different animal. An animal that even DO cant hunt without a lot scouting.

Much respect for DO and when he tries, regardless how close he does or doesn't get, I know it would be balls to the wall.

Dennis dont know the meaning of "I cant", "I quit"....etc..etc..

I know Dennis from a few tournaments and what time I've spent talking to him tells me he is an old soul with 5he same type ethics.

Having said all that, I dont see him getting there unless he stops his career for time.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Dennis really goes for this and puts in what John put in, what dose it do to his overall game?

Scary to think about.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Frankly, I don't think Dennis can afford to put that much time to it.
Or even half of that time.

I agree. Let's look back at a recent DCC, where Dennis Orcullo was utterly fascinated with getting the DCC all-time high run -- that, at that time, was held by Jayson Shaw with a 227 before Joshua Filler broke it with a 285 -- and he kept buying back in after each failed attempt, over and over and over, and didn't succeed.

Don't get me wrong, Dennis has come a LONG way in his 14.1 game, but two things: 1.) he doesn't yet have the experience that a 14.1-long-timer like Schmidt or Hohmann have, and 2.) $10K for such a monumental task to take down the 626 is a pittance, when you consider Dennis can get that same $10K or more in a single rotation or one pocket match-up against an opponent with far less effort. It took Schmidt -- who drips 100, 200, and 300 ball runs by the buckets -- over a month to do this feat, locking himself up in a room and essentially making himself unavailable for tournaments and other stuff. I gander it'd take Dennis far longer, and for what? Why?

-Sean

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really think the only player today that can beat 626 is Filler. I think he’s the only one with the cockiness, and never quit attitude.

I’ve seen DO give up and quit before.

Filler would have his wife there rubbing his back between attempts and bringing him food. He also is on such a high from his recent wins, BUT he is WAY hungry for more.

I really think DO would quit in a couple days even for a 10k prize. For a 100k prize, he’d quit in a week. Most other pros same exact thing.

I believe filler is different and he would be least likely of the current pros to quit chasing 626.

Imo:)

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I really think the only player today that can beat 626 is Filler. I think he’s the only one with the cockiness, and never quit attitude.

I’ve seen DO give up and quit before.

Filler would have his wife there rubbing his back between attempts and bringing him food. He also is on such a high from his recent wins, BUT he is WAY hungry for more.

I really think DO would quit in a couple days even for a 10k prize. For a 100k prize, he’d quit in a week. Most other pros same exact thing.

I believe filler is different and he would be least likely of the current pros to quit chasing 626.

Imo:)

I agree IMTHBWO3YOPPEO and I’ve gone on record, somewhere on here, that he will someday top 626. As soon as I thought about others going for it I imagined his face, then him walking around the table firing in balls on his way lol, with that half smile type thing going on.

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Dennis could’ve beaten 526 we would be reading about him for the last week not John. It’s really that simple. I believe for anyone to beat 626.... they will have to fall in love with the game of straight pool. In today’s fast paced world rotation games is where the money is and that’s what’s driving the worlds best players. Not a history book. Just my .02

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
For so many years, the record was 526 and only a handful of pros had high runs in the 300 range, and hardly any over 400.

Now the record is 626 and suddenly there is speculation about who could beat it.

It's like the cliche, "I could be as good as you if I practiced more" except this is "I could break your record if I dedicated myself to the game of 14.1 and did nothing but play it everyday for 5 months, too!"

Well, err, yeah maybe that's true. Give it a try :grin-square:

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Tune in next week: Danny Harriman releases video of a 627 ball run, unfinished, just to spite John :p

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree IMTHBWO3YOPPEO and I’ve gone on record, somewhere on here, that he will someday top 626. As soon as I thought about others going for it I imagined his face, then him walking around the table firing in balls on his way lol, with that half smile type thing going on.

I dont think Filler could do it now- As talented as he is, he still has a bit of a 'kids game'-In 2-3 years when he slows down just a bit, id bet on him with a month of tries.