How to play the sharks when you're a guppy...

JohnnyShakes

Hill/Hill w/ 1 ball ghost
Silver Member
I've been trying to find a way to approach this without sounding defeatist, or like I'm asking for a miracle, so I guess I'll just throw it out there.

First off, I love pool. I've been playing seriously for about 2 years, and I feel like I am making a pretty fair amount of progress. That being said, I'm well aware of my limitations and my standing in the hierarchy of ability. Mid-B level player, at best.

What I'm faced with is this. I finish my MBA program in December, and I've decided that I'm going to reward myself for all of the hard work that I have put into it by entering the Jay Swanson Memorial at Hard Times in February. Like Corey Harper I have been spotting the top players in the world 40(+) hours a week, two semesters (sometimes 3 when I was feeling especially masochistic and decided to take interterm courses) and a drinking problem that has ranged from mild to moderate (I don't have a wife. Maybe this could be why?). The difference is, I don't have any thoughts on making the cash. I just don't want to stick out as someone who doesn't belong on the same table as the great players that will be there.

My question to the forum dwellers is this: What would you recommend as being what I should work on in order to accomplish this? Safety play and ball pocketing are the strongest parts of my game, although I've never played on 4" pockets like the tournament room at Hard Times, so that could change. I kick ok, my patterns are ok, and cue ball control is probably my biggest weakness. I've been working on my break a little more, but it's still pretty inconsistent. I'll break and run maybe 1 out of 20 9 ball racks. That number goes up if we're only talking about breaks where I make a ball.

My constraints are that I am starting my last semester next week, and odds are pretty good that I will only be able to really practice one or two days a week until the end of the year. Starting in January, I will have significantly more time to practice (unless, god willing, I get a new job that I actually enjoy, then I might not have quite as much time), and will be able to go up to Hard Times a few times a week, but since the event is in February, that is not a whole lot of dedicated practice time.

All rambling aside, I'm really looking forward to this, and no matter what I intend to have a good time. If people run out a set on me, I'll have a story to tell, a heartfelt handshake for them and a smile on my face. I've won plenty of times, and lost plenty of times, so I'm not setting goals related to games won or how far I advance. This will be my baseline run in a truly open, unhandicapped event. At the next Swanee, or similar tourney, then I can worry about doing better than this time. This time is just for fun, to be able to say I did it, meet some new people, and play against the best that living in Southern California allows me to play against. I just don't want the people in the bleachers looking down and saying "What the heck is THAT guy doing down there? He should have saved the $80 and paid for lessons instead".

Any advice that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Johnny

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been trying to find a way to approach this without sounding defeatist, or like I'm asking for a miracle, so I guess I'll just throw it out there.

First off, I love pool. I've been playing seriously for about 2 years, and I feel like I am making a pretty fair amount of progress. That being said, I'm well aware of my limitations and my standing in the hierarchy of ability. Mid-B level player, at best.

What I'm faced with is this. I finish my MBA program in December, and I've decided that I'm going to reward myself for all of the hard work that I have put into it by entering the Jay Swanson Memorial at Hard Times in February. Like Corey Harper I have been spotting the top players in the world 40(+) hours a week, two semesters (sometimes 3 when I was feeling especially masochistic and decided to take interterm courses) and a drinking problem that has ranged from mild to moderate (I don't have a wife. Maybe this could be why?). The difference is, I don't have any thoughts on making the cash. I just don't want to stick out as someone who doesn't belong on the same table as the great players that will be there.

My question to the forum dwellers is this: What would you recommend as being what I should work on in order to accomplish this? Safety play and ball pocketing are the strongest parts of my game, although I've never played on 4" pockets like the tournament room at Hard Times, so that could change. I kick ok, my patterns are ok, and cue ball control is probably my biggest weakness. I've been working on my break a little more, but it's still pretty inconsistent. I'll break and run maybe 1 out of 20 9 ball racks. That number goes up if we're only talking about breaks where I make a ball.

My constraints are that I am starting my last semester next week, and odds are pretty good that I will only be able to really practice one or two days a week until the end of the year. Starting in January, I will have significantly more time to practice (unless, god willing, I get a new job that I actually enjoy, then I might not have quite as much time), and will be able to go up to Hard Times a few times a week, but since the event is in February, that is not a whole lot of dedicated practice time.

All rambling aside, I'm really looking forward to this, and no matter what I intend to have a good time. If people run out a set on me, I'll have a story to tell, a heartfelt handshake for them and a smile on my face. I've won plenty of times, and lost plenty of times, so I'm not setting goals related to games won or how far I advance. This will be my baseline run in a truly open, unhandicapped event. At the next Swanee, or similar tourney, then I can worry about doing better than this time. This time is just for fun, to be able to say I did it, meet some new people, and play against the best that living in Southern California allows me to play against. I just don't want the people in the bleachers looking down and saying "What the heck is THAT guy doing down there? He should have saved the $80 and paid for lessons instead".

Johnny

Congrats on finishing your MBA! My advice is to have fun and enjoy the ride. Give yourself a chance by practicing systematically with the time that you have. Work on drills that focus on your weak points such as cue ball control. Realize that you can't put as much time in as the pro's and have fun and do your best.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
your greatest weakness should be your greatest strength

All other things flow from cue ball control. I read of somebody teaching a person to play pool. For the first few months he only let them play with a cue ball. Then he added the other balls one at a time spaced out over similar times.

Watch video. Pause them after the break and read a pattern. See if you were right. If not stop the video every time the player does something different than you planned and work out a new pattern. Play really good cue ball control and read patterns as well as anyone and you can beat anyone in the world on a given day.

Ain't really much to this game of pool is there?

Hu

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Honestly if you know you can not beat a Shark, why provide them with food? If you can play a "better player", and you don't have to give the contents of you wallet for the experience do it.

I play One Pocket with a gentleman a couple of afternoons a week, who plays better then me, he beats me a lot, and I do not care, and am not embarrassed.

Each time we play I learn from what he does, and how he does it. I have been know to drive across town to watch better players one on one. If you sit there you can learn, I say can, as you must want to learn, have an open mind before you can learn.

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
Have a t-shirt made that says "Recent MBA graduate, Not a Physics Major, Do Not Laugh at My Pool Game, Looking For Work". You could add "Probably Same as You". And then have a good time.

Matt Stockman

give me the 7 & a whiskey
Silver Member
Have a t-shirt made that says "Recent MBA graduate, Not a Physics Major, Do Not Laugh at My Pool Game, Looking For Work". You could add "Probably Same as You". And then have a good time.

hehe...that was funny.

I really have to agree with Hu's mention of cue ball control and proper pattern play, but I also think those are skills that take time and practice to master. Becoming a solid run out player takes a lot of practice and dedication, and I'm pretty convinced there are no shortcuts.

It doesn't take as much time in the game, or table time in a week to master great safety play and a sharp sense for the right shot in the many different situatons that spring up when playing opponents.

You'd mentioned you felt it was important to know how to handle yourself against strong players. In my opinion, the answer is to play smart and know how to manage your game. If you concentrate on making your safty and escape play as strong as possible, and at the same time make it your mission to know how to handle any situation you encounter with regards to your own game, you can hang in there with better players in a tactical sense. Learn 2 way shots, and don't be afraid to lock em up if you dont feel comfortable with the out.

When I practice 9 and 10 ball racks at home. I never take ball in hand after the break. I try to run out if I can, but if I can't, I will play safe or play a two way shot, and then try to get into tactical safety battle with myself. the longer they go on, the better my tactical game gets.

Good players may take us B players for granted, but you can stand a much better chance (particularly in a shorter tournament race) if you make them work for it.

anyway, my two cents. Dont forget about the other stuff because progress is a package deal, but get smart and sharp with your tactical game and you will have a running start on a strong game.

rodrivar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Johnny

Dont worry about how you look bro, I have played in the swanee past two years and there are worse players in it then B players. Hope for a decent draw and Play well!!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Johnny

The Swanson has all range of players in there, so nobody is saying that, believe me. I hate to see people feel bad when they lose, but we all do and if you're going to play in tournaments, don't give losing a second thought. Really. There are a lot of B players - I would say more than half the field are B players. And when you get knocked out of the tournament, stick around and watch the matches.

Let me just tell you the most difficult thing about playing in tournaments is being self-concious, or rather, trying not to be self-concious. I've watched really great players play bad and seen people who have tons of courage shake like a leaf.

I guarantee you if I am playing self-concious you will get my absolutely worst game. So, forget about it and go out there and just do your best.

As far as advice goes - here is my advice. Toss four or five or six balls out on the table and take ball in hand and try to get out every single time. After you do this five hundred to a thousand times, you will be really good at getting out on those four or five or six ball tables - and that's the bulk of winning in tournaments right there. Then when you see an open table you'll know what to do - it will become habit.

Chris

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
There are 192 players in the Swanee so don't sweat it, chances are you won't be the worst player there. The best advice I can give you is to play in some tournaments before. It is different than a money match and nervousness can set in.

The Swanee isn't just a big tournament. It is also something of a happening. It is the closest thing I can thing of to a festival of West Coast pool, sort of a Woodstock kind of thing going on. It is really a big gathering of pool talent, quite a get together. Trust me, it is a lot of fun seeing old faces and making new friends. But yes, it is also a serious tournament.

Where in Orange County are you?

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How to play the sharks when you are a guppy

# 1, 2, 3, If all the things you stated are true you are not supposed to do well at all ! That said, try to have fun, don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself and try not to miss balls you are supposed to make. I see players like you describe yourself lots of times be in a position of having a chance by some strange freaky set of circumstances and then lose because they tried to do something that wasn't necessary.

JohnnyShakes

Silver Member

That actually made me laugh out loud. Or maybe "Don't laugh at my Pool Game. Just finished my MBA, now looking for a Physics tutor. Willing to learn Tagalog if necessary" or maybe "Impersonating a Pool Player. Aspiring Investment Banker. After you beat me, ask me how you should invest your money". On second thought, I think I like yours better.

I really do appreciate everyone who has responded to this. I'm not sure there is going to be a lot of time for me to work on anything specific in actual game context, so it looks like it's going to be drills, drills, drills, and if time permits, maybe some more drills. In between work, studying, homework and classes. Does anyone have any recommendations on books, videos or drills for working on cue ball control and/or safety play? I watch a lot of pro pool matches whenever I can, and I've picked up a lot of what I know about safety play from that, especially the one pocket matches, but it would be nice to see something more structured to practice. I have seen Byrne's Advanced video, and the Mika videos from Runout Media, but if anyone can recommend anything else that they consider worthwhile, I would be grateful.

Johnny

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
That actually made me laugh out loud. Or maybe "Don't laugh at my Pool Game. Just finished my MBA, now looking for a Physics tutor. Willing to learn Tagalog if necessary" or maybe "Impersonating a Pool Player. Aspiring Investment Banker. After you beat me, ask me how you should invest your money". On second thought, I think I like yours better.

I really do appreciate everyone who has responded to this. I'm not sure there is going to be a lot of time for me to work on anything specific in actual game context, so it looks like it's going to be drills, drills, drills, and if time permits, maybe some more drills. In between work, studying, homework and classes. Does anyone have any recommendations on books, videos or drills for working on cue ball control and/or safety play? I watch a lot of pro pool matches whenever I can, and I've picked up a lot of what I know about safety play from that, especially the one pocket matches, but it would be nice to see something more structured to practice. I have seen Byrne's Advanced video, and the Mika videos from Runout Media, but if anyone can recommend anything else that they consider worthwhile, I would be grateful.

Johnny

If you can just bring your game, whatever it is, to the tournament you will be doing well. My suggestion is to start off by playing in the Hard Times 1st Sunday tournament every chance you get. That will get you used to the tournament system and a lot of the Swanee field plays there too.

The second thing is to get a lot of practice play in with better players. There are many here who will spar with you for fun and you will learn a lot playing with them.

The way we all get better is to play a lot and get more accurate. Once you are an accurate shot maker, you will get better position. Once you get better position, you can control your patterns better. Once you control the patterns better, you will see more and more options available as you gain experience. There are no real short cuts - just a lot of practice and playing experience and we get better over time depending on our own ability.

That's why I was saying just toss out 4 or 5 balls, take ball in hand and run them in rotation and try hard to get out every time. When you don't get out, figure out what you could have done better and practice it. It will be just the practice you need to do better in a tournament.

I also found watching tapes was very helpful for knowledge, but practice is what enables you to execute that knowledge. Knowing something and being able to pull it off on the table are two different things.

Chris

Last edited:

JohnnyShakes

Silver Member
Let me just tell you the most difficult thing about playing in tournaments is being self-concious, or rather, trying not to be self-concious. I've watched really great players play bad and seen people who have tons of courage shake like a leaf.

As far as advice goes - here is my advice. Toss four or five or six balls out on the table and take ball in hand and try to get out every single time. After you do this five hundred to a thousand times, you will be really good at getting out on those four or five or six ball tables - and that's the bulk of winning in tournaments right there. Then when you see an open table you'll know what to do - it will become habit.

Chris

Chris,

I shake all of the time, but it's not from nervousness. Don't really know what it is, but that's why I'm JohnnyShakes. I actually enjoy tournaments more than anything. I've been trying to play in Danny K's tournaments as often as possible, because the level of competition is pretty good, there, and I've been fortunate to draw some really strong players when I've gone there. I've won some and lost some, but that's with a handicap. With the game I have right now, I'm not going to beat Ramin in a race to 9 unless there is a 30 second shot clock and I hit him in the head with a brick and knock him out for a couple hours during the match. I'm ok with that. Playing with players like that helps my game.

As far as the run-out drills, that's what I practice late at night when I'm at home. It's definitely helped, and I plan to continue to do so. If I only had a 9 foot table, it would be a lot more effective for this specific purpose. But I'm stuck with an 8 foot table, so I'll have to learn to adjust to the bigger table.

Johnny

The Swanee isn't just a big tournament. It is also something of a happening. It is the closest thing I can thing of to a festival of West Coast pool, sort of a Woodstock kind of thing going on. It is really a big gathering of pool talent, quite a get together. Trust me, it is a lot of fun seeing old faces and making new friends. But yes, it is also a serious tournament.

Dogs,

I'm not really worried about being the worst player in the tournament. I've played in the HB Shooter's tournament on Saturday's a few times where I felt like I was the worst player in the room, but that didn't mean I wasn't going to win my games. In a tournament like that, where it's a one game race, there wasn't anyone in the room that I couldn't beat. Same thing with Danny K's, and anywhere else strong players play.

As far as the atmosphere at the Swanee, that's what I was hoping it would be like. I was hoping to make it as a spectator last year, but I missed out. There are a ton of people that I would love to meet, and I'm sure I'll meet a lot more people out there that I didn't know who they were. I was at the Seminole event they had at Hollywood Billiards on Day 1 for a little while to support a friend who was there, and it was quite the scene. I'd love to go to something like that at Hard Times. I'm getting excited already.

Johnny

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
First of all cut the crap about working 40 hours a week and all that nonsense. You aren't the only pool player with other priorities, or the only one with a job. And many of them have families too. So leave all the excuses at the door. Good!

Now, you are getting some great advice here. If you are truly a mid level B player, you will fit right in at the Swanee. There will be some guys who are better than you and some who are worse. I wouldn't concern myself too much with the results this first time. Hey, it's only an $80 entry fee and you don't have travel expenses other than gas. Go out there and enjoy yourself! I mean it, just enjoy playing the game and don't worry if you miss a ball or two. You will, and so will everyone else.

As far as preparations go, you have plenty of time, and once or twice a week isn't too bad right now. Try to play some tournaments ahead of time, at Danny K's or Hard Times. That's always good. And when you have more time in January, get down to Hard Times and hit balls every chance you get, just to get comfortable with the tables. And quit with the negative crap too, "I know I can't get in the money. I feel like I will look bad." Blah, blah, blah. No one cares if you play good or bad, they are more concerned with themselves. You are allowed to win matches you know, and you can even get in the money, even if it is your first time. There is no rule against it!

All right, you're free to go now. I'll see you in February. :smile:

P.S. You sound like you're aware you have a drinking problem as well. Pool is all about self discipline. Get some!

Last edited:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Swanee is an awesome tournament. The TD leaves a little to be desired though!! J/K :) Jay does an awesome job and by the way, shouldn't he be on the way to Manila right about now instead of being on AZ???

Just go, play, have fun, make friends...!!!!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Swanee is an awesome tournament. The TD leaves a little to be desired though!! J/K :) Jay does an awesome job and by the way, shouldn't he be on the way to Manila right about now instead of being on AZ???

Just go, play, have fun, make friends...!!!!

I'm leaving tomorrow (Monday) night and arrive at 5:30 AM Wednesday. You lose a day flying that way and gain a day coming back home. I just hope I don't pass myself somewhere! That would be confusing. :eek:

JohnnyShakes

Silver Member
First of all cut the crap about working 40 hours a week and all that nonsense. You aren't the only pool player with other priorities, or the only one with a job. And many of them have families too. So leave all the excuses at the door. Good!

Now, you are getting some great advice here. If you are truly a mid level B player, you will fit right in at the Swanee. There will be some guys who are better than you and some who are worse. I wouldn't concern myself too much with the results this first time. Hey, it's only an $80 entry fee and you don't have travel expenses other than gas. Go out there and enjoy yourself! I mean it, just enjoy playing the game and don't worry if you miss a ball or two. You will, and so will everyone else.

As far as preparations go, you have plenty of time, and once or twice a week isn't too bad right now. Try to play some tournaments ahead of time, at Danny K's or Hard Times. That's always good. And when you have more time in January, get down to Hard Times and hit balls every chance you get, just to get comfortable with the tables. And quit with the negative crap too, "I know I can't get in the money. I feel like I will look bad." Blah, blah, blah. No one cares if you play good or bad, they are more concerned with themselves. You are allowed to win matches you know, and you can even get in the money, even if it is your first time. There is no rule against it!

All right, you're free to go now. I'll see you in February. :smile:

P.S. You sound like you're aware you have a drinking problem as well. Pool is all about self discipline. Get some!

I just got scolded by Jay Helfert! I feel like a real member of the AZB community, right now. :smile:

In all seriousness, Jay, all of that stuff about 40 hours a week, school, blah blah blah was just tongue in cheek. Of the dozens of pool players that I play with on a regular basis, not a single one of them doesn't have an outside job, school or any number of other priorities above pool. I'm no different from any of them. And a lot of them enjoy a drink or two, or more, while they're playing. As far as my drinking, I'm working on the self discipline thing, and when I have something to play for, it's actually pretty easy for me to stay away. I don't think I've ever ordered alcohol at Danny K's when I'm there for a tournament, but I do order food and iced tea so that I'm not just taking up space during the tournament. It's important to support the host location.

Regardless of anything else, I'm really excited for this. If I don't do well, I'll still have a good time. If I do well, then that will be even better. I'm just seeking advice from those who have been there before, because I believe it is important to be as prepared as possible for every situation I put myself into, and since I can't actually play in a Swanee before this February, asking those who have for advice on how to prepare seems like the best option available. When I'm playing a match the last ball I missed will usually bother me right up to the point when I come back to the table to shoot again. Sometimes not even that long. I'm still working on getting to that Zen state where it's forgotten by the time I get to my chair.

The point is, there is no way I'm going to be disappointed after this, even if I don't make a ball the whole time. I've spent a lot more than $80 on things that I won't remember as fondly as my first chance to rub elbows with some of the top players in the world. Damn ex-girlfriends. And you're right, there is still plenty of time for me to get better before February. I believe it's important to set goals in life, and having a good showing at the Swanee is now one of mine. This will make the practice and drills easier to go through, because I will have a specific event that I am practicing for.

Thanks for the tough love, Jay. I have always enjoyed reading your posts, and even when you are b!tch slapping me in the back of the head, it's still enjoyable. Looking forward to seeing you in February.

Johnny

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just got scolded by Jay Helfert! I feel like a real member of the AZB community, right now. :smile:

In all seriousness, Jay, all of that stuff about 40 hours a week, school, blah blah blah was just tongue in cheek. Of the dozens of pool players that I play with on a regular basis, not a single one of them doesn't have an outside job, school or any number of other priorities above pool. I'm no different from any of them. And a lot of them enjoy a drink or two, or more, while they're playing. As far as my drinking, I'm working on the self discipline thing, and when I have something to play for, it's actually pretty easy for me to stay away. I don't think I've ever ordered alcohol at Danny K's when I'm there for a tournament, but I do order food and iced tea so that I'm not just taking up space during the tournament. It's important to support the host location.

Regardless of anything else, I'm really excited for this. If I don't do well, I'll still have a good time. If I do well, then that will be even better. I'm just seeking advice from those who have been there before, because I believe it is important to be as prepared as possible for every situation I put myself into, and since I can't actually play in a Swanee before this February, asking those who have for advice on how to prepare seems like the best option available. When I'm playing a match the last ball I missed will usually bother me right up to the point when I come back to the table to shoot again. Sometimes not even that long. I'm still working on getting to that Zen state where it's forgotten by the time I get to my chair.

The point is, there is no way I'm going to be disappointed after this, even if I don't make a ball the whole time. I've spent a lot more than $80 on things that I won't remember as fondly as my first chance to rub elbows with some of the top players in the world. Damn ex-girlfriends. And you're right, there is still plenty of time for me to get better before February. I believe it's important to set goals in life, and having a good showing at the Swanee is now one of mine. This will make the practice and drills easier to go through, because I will have a specific event that I am practicing for.

Thanks for the tough love, Jay. I have always enjoyed reading your posts, and even when you are b!tch slapping me in the back of the head, it's still enjoyable. Looking forward to seeing you in February.

Johnny

You're a good man Charley Brown! :wink:

rattleryan9

Registered

Johnny

Your playing in it . end of discussion lol. If I can make a fool of myself so can you. So lets just have fun and gain the expierence.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
9 ball, 9 ball, 9 ball, 9 ball ......... The reduction of a once wonderful game of pocket billiards is also known as 9 ball.

When a baseball player gets to the on deck circle he swings a weighted bat so that the actual bat will feel so much more effortless to swing.

Try playing straight pool, day after day. Run yourself some consistent 20s and 30s, who knows you may even fall into dead punch and get a few 50s and 60s.

Now your brain, your touch, your concentration and focus is being practiced and experienced the right way, and for a longer period of time. Now when you smash open that mickey mouse rack of nine ball, its gonna look a lot easier.