Are diamonds on a pool table a bit of a crutch??

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our community room is 1/2 Gold Crowns, 1/2 Diamonds. We were all Gold Crown, but some cry babies had to have Diamonds. @8 4.5 X 9.0's.

We got the Diamonds, sold off the Gold Crowns for $250.00/Table. STUPID. Blew a few bucks on the Diamonds.

I personally like the old tables better, there was nothing wrong with them. Too me personally a Diamond is all hype.

JMHO

You are awesome:)

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our community room is 1/2 Gold Crowns, 1/2 Diamonds. We were all Gold Crown, but some cry babies had to have Diamonds. @8 4.5 X 9.0's.

We got the Diamonds, sold off the Gold Crowns for $250.00/Table. STUPID. Blew a few bucks on the Diamonds.

I personally like the old tables better, there was nothing wrong with them. Too me personally a Diamond is all hype.

JMHO

Yes, its true, awesome. I don’t like diamonds either, much prefer Gold Crowns.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

JMHO

They are pretty expensive as wedding rings too and believe me, there's no refund. Just try getting a wife without one. Maybe at the bowling alley. Wait, are you talking about those white things on a pool table? Nevermind.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
We all know that diamonds on a table help to make visualizing, aligning and aiming MUCH easier as reference points, especially on banks and kicks...but does a huge 11-12 foot Snooker table have them? I've never seen before, but not sure.

Makes me think...are pool players too reliant on them? It's almost seems to be a "smoke em if ya got em" type of vibe to me. Personally, I don't aim my banks this way, but will sometimes reference the line to see if the natural angle is short or long, then adjust my stroke or English accordingly.

Curious as to what others think.

So you don’t use the diamonds....I do in a very limited way.
You must think the diamonds work if you consider them a crutch.

Rosco

Registered
My Gramps had a Brunswick bumper pool table in the 60's.

No diamonds, but the cloth was factory printed with what amounted to a yardstick down each side, with a zero in the middle.

There were 5 spot shots to start the game, hit the number, make the ball!
Myself and an Uncle were the only ones to make a perfect game, a tie!

I haven't seen a quality bumper pool table in a long time!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As the three cushion gurus on this forum probably know, one of the all-time greats campaigned to have the diamonds removed from newly manufactured billiards tables, saying that using the diamonds made the game too easy. His name was Welker Cochrane and he's a BCA Hall of Famer.
I guess his campaign then was about as successful as those complaining now seeing that he died 60yrs ago. Seriously, whenever i see these threads it makes me wonder if someone didn't just get beat by a good kick/bank and they're just pissed 'cause they can't do the same. I've been playing 40yrs and have NEVER heard someone in a poolroom say they should be removed, EVER. Would removing them really make the game better or just appease the butt-hurt??

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JMHO
Holy shit.

Is there any point you can't miss?

You really are in your own little mindspace, arent you?

Homer-Simpsons-brain-seen-with-MRI-X-ray-Image-reproduced-on-many-Internet-sites.ppm

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I guess his campaign then was about as successful as those complaining now seeing that he died 60yrs ago. Seriously, whenever i see these threads it makes me wonder if someone didn't just get beat by a good kick/bank and they're just pissed 'cause they can't do the same. I've been playing 40yrs and have NEVER heard someone in a poolroom say they should be removed, EVER. Would removing them really make the game better or just appease the butt-hurt??

i must agree, it gives off bangerish vibes when anything is brought up as a crutch
the ever manly straight 8 crowd,

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Agreed that it's a good thing Welker was unsuccessful in having the diamonds eliminated, although at three cushion, it would be hard to argue that someone scored a point BECAUSE they used the diamonds. Speaking as a three cushion player, the diamonds are a crutch I need.

Mind you, I don't see this as appreciably different from the insistence on call shot in ten ball. Call shot grew out of the almost incessant whining of those who caught one or two bad rolls at the wrong moment at nine ball. Sometimes, when you read abut nine ball on this forum, it is presented as all-luck and ten ball as all-skill. Thankfully, the general public didn't buy in to this fiction and for every important ten ball event, there remains at least ten important nine ball events.

Nine ball as a test of playing excellence is plenty stiff enough for this fan, and so is three cushion on tables having diamonds.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am VERY in tune with my own table.

I would be less accurate without the sights. maybe 5-20% less?

That is a notable difference.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
120mph

race cars with speedometers
hah what a joke

I used to be on a pit crew that raced one night a week on a 3/4 mile track. Nice young man driving a hobby car said he was going into the turn at 120mph. Idle curiosity, I asked how he knew thinking he had bothered calculating tachometer reading and gear ratios, tire size, all the things necessary to know. Nope, still had the speedometer in his car!

I'm still trying to get used to brake lights on open wheel cars.

Back to diamonds on a table, I generally find them handy when doing the very rough guesstimating I do for kicking and banking. Played on some tables where the sighters were way back from the cushions, seemed like the manufacturer had no idea what the diamonds were for.

Hu

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's Cochran:

CropperCapture[608].png

I'm not sure what his problem was since his main competition was Hoppe and Hoppe didn't use the diamonds or at least not the diamond system.

It's amusing to see a diamond system player who fails to do a borrow when subtracting and misses the shot by exactly a diamond.