Finding the good lepro

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've looked in the forum threads about this subject, there are few posts on how to pick one, but none of them worked for me, I've tried the put them in glass of water and the one that sink are good, the floaters are bad, but for me all of the tips in the box sank in the water. I also saw the post that says bounce the tip in the desk, but for me I couldn't relate because I don't know which bounce is good bounce and which is bad?

I know that a good lepro is a very good tip, for me I love the sound and the feel of it. if its bad the feel will be horrible its like the tip doesn't grab, which what happened to me in the latest lepro tip installation. I am looking for help because i will be going to the cue repair man tonight, I would love if somebody help me of a way to determine a very good lepro tip on the spot, because I don't install them myself, I have to go to a distant place and on the spot I need to pick a tip from the box. so I don't have time or tools, if there's any manual way to find out, thank you cuemakers in advance.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've never found any reliable way to tell the good ones from the bad ones, i've tried everything people have said out there. the best thing i've found is to buy the 15mm size, they are much more consistent and you get much more good ones in a box. why this is the case, i don't know exactly, but one explanation i've heard that makes sense is that the 15mm's are from a different part of the hide (thicker) and somehow this area produces better tips. the 15mm triangles are also much better than the smaller sizes.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can tell you how to find a bad one. But that does not mean all the others will be good. Look on the bottom side of the tip. If it has a deep groove or two going across it those are the most likely to crack or chip or have that clicky hard spot inside the tip. Stay away from those. Also use super sharp tooling on LePros. Dull tooling will turn a good LePro into a bad LePro pretty fast. Many years ago on the old LePros, if the bottom of the tip had even texture instead of being smooth they were the better tips. This may not hold true on newer LePro's as they have not been my number one tip to install in years so I am not using them everyday like I used to.

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's how I use to pic them based on the dull/shiney spots on the back of the tips. The more shine, the better the tip; if I remember correctly. It's been years since I installed a LePro, in fact probably over 10 years.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

So let me get this right, you go through the box and throw away tips you don't like because the way they look???

I press the tip, lap the bottom and then install and turn it. If the tip seems funky at that time, I cut it off and try again. I only buy the 15 mm.

The triangles seem to be more problematic than the Le pros IMO.

Rick

PS: I really like Tom's Ultra Skin Tip as it is a real value to my customer as the performance is outstanding!!!!!!!

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's correct guys, very few people are wanting LePro's nowadays. Most professional & experienced cue makers can tell a good tip by looking at it it due to the vast experience of installing and handling many, many of them. Eventually the newbies will get it too where they don't have to go through the trouble of installing the tip to find out it's no good. However, as previously stated fewer and fewer people are requesting Le Pro today. Triangles are a better choice but what does it all mean. This tip, that tip it's all a matter of choice.

Remember, the best tip for you or your customerr is the tip you or your customer plays best with.

MikesCues048

Cues 4 Christ
Silver Member
I was told that if the tips have fuzziness after shaping then they are a bad tip. Just my .02 learned from my travels.
Hope this helps

Michael

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can put a tip on without trimming the sides, it should be good.

Or...if you have to trim the sides, don't use a lathe. Do it the old fashion way with your shaft up side down and trim by cutting down from ferrule to tip. Use sharp razor blade and keep taking small cuts all the way around. You'll need to to around probably three at least three times to get it close to finished. I do this on a block of wood.

Then you can finish with a lathe with sandpaper to get it perfect.
If you do it right, it will look like a factory finished tip.

Your tip should never fluff up this way.

It takes longer but people shouldn't be so lazy.

A famous cue maker once told me that you need to drop the tip on a kitchen table table and listen to the sound it makes...for it to be a good one.

Last edited:

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
If you can put a tip on without trimming the sides, it should be good.

Or...if you have to trim the sides, don't use a lathe. Do it the old fashion way with your shaft up side down and trim by cutting down from ferrule to tip. Use sharp razor blade and keep taking small cuts all the way around. You'll need to to around probably three at least three times to get it close to finished. I do this on a block of wood.

Then you can finish with a lathe with sandpaper to get it perfect.
If you do it right, it will look like a factory finished tip.

Your tip should never fluff up this way.

It takes longer but people shouldn't be so lazy.

A famous cue maker once told me that you need to drop the tip on a kitchen table table and listen to the sound it makes...for it to be a good one.

Dumbest posting I've seen in a while. And only good tips make a noise? I am pretty sure all tips make noise hitting a table. And just HOW do they do it at the factory?

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dumbest posting I've seen in a while. And only good tips make a noise? I am pretty sure all tips make noise hitting a table. And just HOW do they do it at the factory?

Since you are an expert on the subject, tell us all how to tell a bad Le Pro from a good one.:rolleyes:

When you've been around as long as me, you'd know....:thumbup:

So...you are calling a guy with the name of Lambros dumb?

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I have a very good repoire with my Le Pros. I speak French to them.

Etes vous un bon bout?

Oui.

Alors vous pouvez rester et vivre dans cette boîte

Are you a good tip?
Yes.
Then you can stay and live in this box.

Very simple.

EllisCueRepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HAHAHA I wish i could speak french!;)

Etes vous un bon bout?

Oui.

Are you a good tip?
Yes.

Very simple.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Even being from Canada, I hated French classes with a passion.

Babylon is a wonderful tool.

Hahaha. I'm bad, I know.

Probably a lot of grammatical errors with an on line translator.

afftonbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LePro sales

By far, LePro is our most installed tip. Most customers will not consider anything else. For house cues I spin to trim. However, for individual jobs the tip is trimmed by blade and finished by turning with sandpaper. The finish looks like factory that way. I don't know why the dressing looks so much better that way but it's very pronounced; not true on other tips. I bite a tip between my teeth to judge density/quality. You can judge if the spongees have sent in. (BTW, they are delicious with ketchup). :D

Big Al

afftonbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LePro sales

By far, LePro is our most installed tip. Most customers will not consider anything else. For house cues I spin to trim. However, for individual jobs the tip is trimmed by blade and finished by turning with sandpaper. The finish looks like factory that way. I don't know why the dressing looks so much better that way but it's very pronounced; not true on other tips. I bite a tip between my teeth to judge density/quality. You can judge if the spongees have sent in. (BTW, they are delicious with ketchup). :D

Big Al

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Etes vous un bon bout?

Oui.

Are you a good tip?
Yes.

Very simple.

Very witty indeed. This site never ceases to amaze me. :thumbup:

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
I look for the tips with the smooth glue side. Then I press them. After these two steps, I start sanding the glue side. 90% of the time, the sanding process will tell me whether the tip is good or not and how hard it is. Just a "feel" thing.

The last box of 14mm Le Pro's I received had a higher proportion of "keepers" than the last few boxes. Maybe better QC or just dumb luck.

IMO, a good LePro is an excellent tip. They're just tough to find. :cool: