Have you ever been defeated by a banger?

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Have you ever lost a match against a banger or a casual player since you took up pool seriously, read pool books, watched videos, practiced a lot, maybe took instructions and became more or less an advanced player with some formal skills, knowledge and fundamentals? In case it happened, can you retell the event?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever lost a match against a banger or a casual player since you took up pool seriously, read pool books, watched videos, practiced a lot, maybe took instructions and became more or less an advanced player with some formal skills, knowledge and fundamentals? In case it happened, can you retell the event?

Yes! I lost a funsies 1pocket race to two against John once.

Other than him splashing the rack a couple of times and lucking out I don't recall the story. But I know he thinks about it *all* the time so I'm sure he'll be happy to provide the details :)

Lou Figueroa

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
yeah, i can tell you.
I still remember I was using CTE with a touch of inside, playing with a balabushka, and i just happened to miss the 9 ball.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Individual games yes. When there is some amount of luck as there is in pool it's possible to lose games to bangers (ie non pool players and people who play who have no real concept on how to play the game well) here and there. I can't ever remember losing more than 1 game in a set to them.

fasted71465

Fast Ed
Silver Member
A few 8ball bar tourney single game. I run to last ball or 8 ball and be hooked the rest of the game while they miss 4or 5 times leaving me hooked.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a banger and used to beat a lot of good players.

Now I rarely leave the house but when I do, I still win a lot.

I rarely play safe and go for almost everything.

In nine ball I use a lot of H and H.

I hit them hard and hope.:thumbup:

wineslob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only a couple of times. "Banger" to me means the guy in the bar where EVERY shot is BANG! Rearranges the table every-damn-time.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No, it can't really happen, if I am the better player I'm going to win, it is just a matter of time. My worry is the guy quitting. One time though I was in a bar and a drunk guy wants to play for $50.00. I agree and we get a couple of cues and go to the bar table, a real piece of junk. This is the best part, he has a cue with no tip on it. We play the game and through a number of amazing rolls he wins the game.

My wife is hysterical laughing. I go to rack the balls and he puts his cue away and quits. He played his game for $50.00 and that was that. My wife asked if he wanted to play her some for $50.00 a game but he was done for the night I guess. This is one of my wife's favorite to tell on me about losing $50.00 to a drunk with a cue with no tip.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Yes I'm sure at some point or another I have on several occasions. I don't think it has ever happened to me in a tournament, 1 time I can recall in league (I was a 6 he was a 2 and I knocked the 8 in on accident and scratched the next 8 for the loss) and probably several times just messing around.

If someone hasn't lost to a banger on occasion I would say it's either because A: they don't play other people very often or B: They are lying.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Sure, it's happened in short race 8 or 9 ball tournaments, I mean races to one or two. I'm sure it's happened to just about anyone who's thrown a quarter on the rail of a bar table. It's never happened to me in a long race. It's also never happened to me playing straight pool.

I suppose the answer depends on one's definition of "banger". To me it is someone that may have some ability to pocket balls, but pays little attention to or has minimal skills in, cue ball control.

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I'm sure at some point or another I have on several occasions. I don't think it has ever happened to me in a tournament, 1 time I can recall in league (I was a 6 he was a 2 and I knocked the 8 in on accident and scratched the next 8 for the loss) and probably several times just messing around.

If someone hasn't lost to a banger on occasion I would say it's either because A: they don't play other people very often or B: They are lying.

You can lose a short session to most anybody who can make a few balls at a given time, but actually getting beat by a weaker player, won't happen. Anyone who used to run around playing knows what I am saying. Unless the guy is some champion who is actually hiding his speed, you can tell almost from the go not just if you can beat the guy but what you can probably give him.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I get a kick out of this question every time I hear or see it asked. Since there is little doubt you are talking about 8 ball or 9 ball, which are no more than elaborate coin tosses in any given short set, you will often find lesser players beating better players.

You don't like when that happens? Simple, play straight pool. It ain't happening in straight pool. Skill far outweighs luck in that game, just the opposite of those other games.

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
yeah, i can tell you.
I still remember I was using CTE with a touch of inside, playing with a balabushka, and i just happened to miss the 9 ball.

Had to be the balabushka that gave you the problem. You had other good points working for you.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get a kick out of this question every time I hear or see it asked. Since there is little doubt you are talking about 8 ball or 9 ball, which are no more than elaborate coin tosses in any given short set, you will often find lesser players beating better players.

You don't like when that happens? Simple, play straight pool. It ain't happening in straight pool. Skill far outweighs luck in that game, just the opposite of those other games.

Any given game although, not a coin toss, you can lose to anyone. I remember when I was a kid like 14 playing a good player 9 ball with 2 to 1 on the money per game. He beat me but it took him hours. If we played race to 11 he could have given me 20 to 1 it would not have mattered.

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
The old days

Mac,

Many years ago when I was younger
and a lot poorer I would purposely pick a
cue without a tip and act drunk. It was usually
my first time in the bar and only if no one knew me.

Thankfully I managed to survive my stupid youth.

I'm quite sure it wasn't me you played. I would
never quit winner, not even back then. I would have
quit at even or at loser but never at winner.
Not winner, especially at half a yard action!
LOL The good old days.

Joe

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In most pool halls............I AM THE BANGER!:D

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Any given game although, not a coin toss, you can lose to anyone. I remember when I was a kid like 14 playing a good player 9 ball with 2 to 1 on the money per game. He beat me but it took him hours. If we played race to 11 he could have given me 20 to 1 it would not have mattered.

Of course anyone could loose to anyone. But, if I'm betting like 10 to 1 with my money to "C" player, it would never be 9 or 10 ball. I'd never risk the loss with those wild odds. That's too much gamble for my blood.

I'll play 125 points of straight pool with them, and them winning that game would be like the odds of getting struck by lightening. :smile:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

B all day, ha