Chalk Wars Photography - Photos of Battle Damage. Post Up!

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
I bought a few sets of Aramith Tournament balls from Shawn Putnam in 2007 that were used in a tourney in California held in Jan or Feb 2007. He placed one of his cards in the box that were used in the finals (Busti v. Archer), this chalk was in the box that I saved.

Dave

Was this Dechaine's chalk?

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Here are a few of my warriors.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 514

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a GREAT photo and addition to the Chalk war photography collection.
That piece of chalk is old and salty.
The human equivalent to that piece of chalk would be Quint from "Jaws" :thumbup:

LOL, or maybe Quint's Italian brother. Since you liked that photo, I've included the "full Monty." The chalk came with a set of antique scrimshawed balls I found at an antique shop. A few pics:

Attachments

• Ital Chalk 2.JPG
    Ital Chalk 2.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 486
  • Ital Chalk 3.JPG
    Ital Chalk 3.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 505
  • Old Balls 001.jpg
    Old Balls 001.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 478
  • Old Balls 006.jpg
    Old Balls 006.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 474
  • Old Balls 013.jpg
    Old Balls 013.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 519

ExilePreacher

Equal Opportunity Gadfly
Silver Member
image.jpg

Here's my current two sitting on the rail of my home Gold Crown. Magic Chalk used only gambling for 3 months. Pool Dawg label Master's used only at home practicing over the same period. Seeing this I realize I need to practice more and gamble less.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
View attachment 424645

Here's my current two sitting on the rail of my home Gold Crown. Magic Chalk used only gambling for 3 months. Pool Dawg label Master's used only at home practicing over the same period. Seeing this I realize I need to practice more and gamble less.

Well, that explains why your last order of chalk was so long ago. C'mom man, help a brother out... toss out that old cube, get you a nice fresh piece ;)

beerpressure

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't you hate it when you have a piece of chalk that is evenly worn and your friend starts to drill it?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ExilePreacher

Equal Opportunity Gadfly
Silver Member
Well, that explains why your last order of chalk was so long ago. C'mom man, help a brother out... toss out that old cube, get you a nice fresh piece ;)

Hey bro it's your own darn fault! You sell me 6 boxes of the best chalk in the world, that only needs to be used about every 15 shots or so, and actually holds together better than any I've seen as well. It lasts forever. You're going to put yourself out of business due to your customers not returning in the same decade.

No in all seriousness RJ, it's a great product and I'm about to order some more so be looking for the email. I just retired that piece to the practice table so it'll be gone soon. However, I still have 2 boxes you sold me last time. Crazy good stuff.

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this thread a lot. Here's a cube update, she's almost had it. I've noticed a lot of people have the chalk's wrapper tall almost above the edges, I always take it down a little with sand paper once it starts interfering with the application, seems to prolong the chalk's life. Might not matter to some, but when you're spending 3-5 a cube you might as well, right? Not that I'm that hard up lol I just would rather not be wasteful I spose...
ZnZ435.jpg

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some great additions have been posted so far but still waiting for many more....

C'mon Dr. Dave, Bob J, Darren Appleton, Cardiac Kid....lots of current players have chalk photos and/or stories to go along with them. Let's go!

^^^^^^^^My current work in progress^^^^^^^^

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO the is something absolutely cool about a heavily used piece of Chalk - there is a history involved in just the image and one can think of all the times it was slammed on the rail of a pool table over a missed shot or horrific final roll of the cue ball to miss position. If that Chalk could talk - the stories it could tell would be fun.

Over the last few years I have grown attached to my chalk. A single piece becomes my wing-man, my fellow soldier-at-arms whom I take into battle with. Does anyone else also work a single piece right down to the base?

I always thought one of the greatest parts of "the Color of Money" was the fact that it opens with a smoke filled shot of a worn-out cube of chalk.

A used piece of chalk is a badge of honor - like a dyed blue shaft - you only get one by putting in the time, work, and efforts.

So why not have a thread dedicated to all those pieces of Chalk that have been through war? Does anyone else have any battle damaged, labels peeled, chipped, on-it's-last-legs cubes of chalk lying around?

Post up some photos of appreciation - for they are a symbol of how hard you have worked at the table.

Happy Memorial Day to all. Remember the Fallen.

USS Indianapolis
CA-35
30 July 1945

This is an interesting way to chalk--- Making it 4 sides that you can use to chalk with I'm guessing?

This way as it looks like gives you more duration and life span of a chalk to use which is nice, for me I always end up with a hollow one circle, and maybe half way inside I feel that it's not chalking right for me.

But the way you chalk it looks that you can't chalk the whole tip, you need to turn it around to cover everything, am I right? if you dont do that maybe you would miscue occesionally i'm thinking, correct me if i'm wrong.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an interesting way to chalk--- Making it 4 sides that you can use to chalk with I'm guessing?

This way as it looks like gives you more duration and life span of a chalk to use which is nice, for me I always end up with a hollow one circle, and maybe half way inside I feel that it's not chalking right for me.

But the way you chalk it looks that you can't chalk the whole tip, you need to turn it around to cover everything, am I right? if you dont do that maybe you would miscue occesionally i'm thinking, correct me if i'm wrong.

You are spot on, it's kind of a swipe with the chalking hand, while a half rotation of the cue in the cue hand. Two swipes and two rotations, the entire tip is covered.

I didn't intentionally try to do the four corners thing, the sang lee brand of chalk just takes to it like that. With magic chalk or Kamui, the same chalking style, it turns our more of the traditional concave that many of the other chalks here appear to have.

I noticed many players have a thinking chalking style, like bustamante, he will sit there contemplating a shot and gently swipe away at the cue. Others have an aggressive chalking then stop chalking then stop style like Corey Duel. I have always liked (and tried to emulate) the snooker approach with a couple of small application swipes (Ronnie O) or a few twists of the cue into the chalk (Darren A) and right into the pocket-ready to go.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some great additions have been posted so far but still waiting for many more....

C'mon Dr. Dave, Bob J, Darren Appleton, Cardiac Kid....lots of current players have chalk photos and/or stories to go along with them. Let's go!

You must have missed my article on chalking in the November, 2002 Billiards Digest. I explained there about the Borer People and gave an example of their "cleverness":

BADCHALK.jpg

And here is how to fix it:

FIXER.jpg

And here is what my chalk looks like:

GOODUSED2.jpg

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must have missed my article on chalking in the November, 2002 Billiards Digest. I explained there about the Borer People and gave an example of their "cleverness":

]

Thanks for the response, Bob.
I did miss that article, and I just found it here....

http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/BD_articles.html

Great article and an interesting read.
You never did mention how to help the squeakers alleviate the squeaking. I always thought it was from a hard tip that has been glazed over.

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My chalk. I've sanded it down so i could use it (I don't like if the "walls" are too high, it messes up my ferule.). It may not seem like it judging from the photo, but that crack in the center is in the bottom of the chalk, only the sticker is left under there.
20160615_022622.jpg

20160615_022615.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
.... You never did mention how to help the squeakers alleviate the squeaking. I always thought it was from a hard tip that has been glazed over.
No, it's from applying the chalk wrong. They are not "painting" the chalk onto the edges of their tip. The best squeaking is achieved with a Borer technique -- the tip is all the way down into the chalk. Masters of the technique can play music -- have you heard the recording of the Star Spangled Banner orchestrated for Kamui on Kamui? It's a classic.:wink:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, it's from applying the chalk wrong. They are not "painting" the chalk onto the edges of their tip. The best squeaking is achieved with a Borer technique -- the tip is all the way down into the chalk. Masters of the technique can play music -- have you heard the recording of the Star Spangled Banner orchestrated for Kamui on Kamui? It's a classic.:wink:

:rotflmao: