Richie Ambrose... RIP???

cambrose

Registered
Thanks Scott. My father passed last Thursday peacefully and sadly. He lived a great life, but always loved speaking of his brother Richie. I'm posting one last time in case he's alive and someone does a search looking for his relatives. If he's passed, I'm sure he was waiting for him at the Gates of Heaven along with their mother/my grandmother. OK, thanks for checking all!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was he known as NY Richie? Saw him play Harry Petros(Phila) at Stanley McDowels room in NJ. Best 9 ball I ever watched, Started out at $100 ...went to $1000 shortly after.

Yes, that's him. Harry Petros had the most powerful stroke of anybody back then, but unfortunately met his demise at the hands of gangsters for reasons unknown. He was found dead in the trunk of his car.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Hi Chris, sorry for your loss.

Been curious since first reading this thread. I grew up on the Lower East Side of Manhattan during the the sixties. There was a brother and sister who lived together on my block (E. 2nd), terrific unforgettable people, his name was Frankie Ambrose, hers Millie. Believe that somewhere I have a picture of her holding me as a baby. Just wondering if there is a connection here.

Thanks.
Jim

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Richie is no longer with us, he passed about 2 years ago.

Last time I saw him was in 2011. He was fine.

I’ll make a call and find out what’s up

I'll find out the details if possible, the information is from a reliable source. Someone wrote an article about him on Facebook, I'll have to locate it asap.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So CJ...It's been a week. Were you able to find out any details about Richie's passing? Inquiring minds (like his nephew) want to know!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

I'll find out the details if possible, the information is from a reliable source. Someone wrote an article about him on Facebook, I'll have to locate it asap.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very sorry for your loss, sir! Hopefully CJ Wiley can come up with some more details about your uncle Richie! My condolences to you and your family!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Thanks Scott. My father passed last Thursday peacefully and sadly. He lived a great life, but always loved speaking of his brother Richie. I'm posting one last time in case he's alive and someone does a search looking for his relatives. If he's passed, I'm sure he was waiting for him at the Gates of Heaven along with their mother/my grandmother. OK, thanks for checking all!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
You sure?? Think that's Roger G. before he starting putting on the pounds.

I also think it could very well be a younger, thinner Roger Griffis.
Same Look Roger had when he was focusing.

Of small interest, he is holding a Joss West cue, one of three made with white implex forearm and unusual veneer work with the boxes.

Great article, great picture of Richie. He also could look right through you.

Will Prout

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also think it could very well be a younger, thinner Roger Griffis.
Same Look Roger had when he was focusing.

Of small interest, he is holding a Joss West cue, one of three made with white implex forearm and unusual veneer work with the boxes.

Great article, great picture of Richie. He also could look right through you.

Will Prout
Will i'm pretty sure that is Roger Griffis. He was pretty thin back in the day when those pics were taken. I was wondering what cue that was. Thought it was a one-off Meucci at first. Do you own that Joss?

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Will i'm pretty sure that is Roger Griffis. He was pretty thin back in the day when those pics were taken. I was wondering what cue that was. Thought it was a one-off Meucci at first. Do you own that Joss?

I have one of the three that were made, but not the one Roger is holding.

Will

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I have one of the three that were made, but not the one Roger is holding.

Will

Here is a picture of my white Joss West.

Will

Attachments

• 3A6E77CA-0502-4C11-96BC-057F36592967.jpeg
    3A6E77CA-0502-4C11-96BC-057F36592967.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 416

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Roger Griffis would have been 21 when the article was published.

On a separate note, I want to express my deepest condolences to all the family and loved ones of Richie Ambrose.
He definitely made a mark in our genre, and he will not be forgotten.

Will Prout

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Wow. Awesome. The fore-end is implex with inlays? Was Bill just experimenting with materials?

This cue was the first ever cored cue. He brought it to Las Vegas, delivered it to Richie Florence.
Quite a cue in person.
Thanks.

Will

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my favorite guys in the pool world.

On the Turning Stone stream Danny DiLiberto just said that Richie passed away last week. Anyone else hear this? I saw him play in early 80's and he could play.

Loved this guy. He was the best. Always a pleasure to be around and talk. He will be missed by many. See you on the other side my friend. ..