If not for the antics by Earl.... Would Shane have won?

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
However, once he put those earmuffs on for days 2 & 3, I think there were hardly any antics.
Wow, I wish I had watched your feed where Earl was a perfect gentleman on days 2 & 3. I got the sucky feed where Earl was an a-hole all three days.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On day 1, Earl was definitely acting up and it was hard to watch. However, once he put those earmuffs on for days 2 & 3, I think there were hardly any antics. Shane didn't manage to overcome Earl's 11 game day one lead in the next 65 games over two days. I think we saw who was the better player on that equipment, on that weekend. End of story.

Except for when he smashed his cue on the floor and broke his earmuffs on day 3...:D

That said, I don't think Shane would have won anyway. Earl was just too strong on that table.

Roadking

sweet william
Silver Member
Maybe maybe not the world will never know. I think both players were wore out and ready for the end. Earl dug deap in the end and pulled it off,like him or not.

Shane does have a hell of alot of class and is very respectful while he's shooting.
Earl has no respect and see's dead people while he's shooting.
But I do respect both of their pool shooting skills.

RobertR

WWSLD
Silver Member
why do people start threads like this?? earl just handed shane his ass, and shane took it like a mad. END OF STORY!!!!:angry:

To answer your question, people start threads like this because it was intuitively obvious to the casual observer that Earl's game plan included blatant shark moves.

It cannot be argued the Earl won, and Earl shot better.

What can be argued is what was needed to beat the best American pool player. Not sure of the percentages, but here are the ingredients:

1. Gaffe Table
2. Every single f'ing rule goes your way (no jump cues, etc)
3. Act like a complete moron and shark and threaten to quit to create an atmosphere of chaos.
4. Shoot straight as hell
5. Have no conscience

jrt30004

just jokin' around
Silver Member
you know i've been on this forum for a few years now. and i've seen threads and been told that things are what they are. the hustling and sharking are part of the game. that i shouldn't want handicapped tournaments that i need to gamble or i'm not a real player.
now you have this match. earl was sharking, hustling, playing on a gaff table with his rules, and the guy wins. and everyone calls him a piece of s_it. are you kidding me? most of you guys are being hypocrites.
first off, everyone knows the garbage earl has pulled in the last few years. shane got to see the table and knew the rules before he played. no one held a gun to his head and said you have to play. him and john agreed to the terms. as far as i'm concerned that was the end of it. they got what everyone expected. justin said that was one of the biggest ppv's they've had. know why? it wasn't because of shane or the table or anything other than everyone wanting to see earl go off. earl performed as expected, except he won.
secondly, enough with the deaf comment. stop being so politcally correct. he didn't make fun of shane's disability, he didn't make fun of shane at all. when i am playing i wish i couldn't hear half the garbage i have to listen to. and let's face it, it's an advantage for shane and that's a fact. that's why he turns the hearing aids down when he plays. he's said that's why he does it. so he doesn't get distracted. that's all earl was saying, that he wished he had a way to tune the noise out, hence the headphones.
in closing, you can't have it both ways. you can't talk about all the garbage being part of the game, and piss and moan when it happens. you can't beat on a guy for doing exactly what you knew he was going to do. when you gamble on something unfamillar you may loose. there are threads all over az covering these topics and it's ridiculous. one thing i know i have learned on az over the last few years is this, what i'm hearing sounds a lot like what most of you would call nitish behavior......if someone else was saying it.

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
David, that is because unlike Earl, Shane has CLASS! He will not complain publicly, even though he feels totally disrespected by Earl, someone he thought was a friendly rival. Yes, Earl's behavior got to Shane. He is human after all, not a robot. All of you, ask yourself, would you play pool with someone who acted this way?
Where can I go to take these mind reading classes?

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To answer your question, people start threads like this because it was intuitively obvious to the casual observer that Earl's game plan included blatant shark moves.

What can be argued is what was needed to beat the best American pool player. Not sure of the percentages, but here are the ingredients:

1. Gaffe Table
3. Act like a complete moron and shark and threaten to quit to create an atmosphere of chaos.
5. Have no conscience

#4 there seems to be the most important one and one that Earl probably stuck to more than the others....Get over it. The game is over. If you don't like the way Earl plays or acts than don't watch. And if you lost money on the match maybe you can get just Earl to spot you a few games for something cheap so you can try and get it back. SVB seemed to take the loss better than you have. I know, I know, if I don't agree with your base question than don't answer. Well, your question has no real answer. You can put in all the what if's you like but no one can answer your question so sit back and wait for SVB to play someone else and rip them a new a**hole and cheer away.

Bob Danielson
www.bdcuesandcomix.com

Last edited:

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
i think towards the end of the match it all snowballed on shane his inability to get the table down, earl getting to him all of it...because when earl was at about 93 i think shane went to rack and was just slamming balls and you could see him look over to his corner and straight out say LETS GO HOME! and the next game he missed a fairly easy shot and almost pulled an earl and smacked the cueball with the side of his cue and just threw the balls a couple even started bouncing he threw them so hard

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Split hairs? Not hardly. (as seen in my pic, I have no hairs to split)

Could you please answer my question, what would happen?
I've lived in the 221 and 222 before so I'd like to understand how it works from someone who has been around there also (ya know a different viewpoint)

Also, this is 2 pro players playing each other. Most of the people talking about violence against Earl are not near the level of Earl, but are talking about what they would do to him if he did (insert whatever you want here) to them. It's very rare to find one top caliber pool player physically fighting another pool player, its very common to find 2 hacks fighting each other, or a lesser player wanting to fight a better player.

Split hairs all you want. Do I really need to point out all the other BS moves that were beatdown worthy in other poolrooms ?

I'll say this, both Justin & Schmidt commented openly that Earl sharks *every* time his opponent is shooting in his direction. Schmidt said something like "if other players did to earl what he does to them, he'd decapitate them".

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's talk about hypocrite's. Earl say's break like a man,jump cues are crap,insults opponut's in a team competion,etc. and then he put's his circus act on stage and a lot of people step up for him. he's a spoiled little punk tryin to pass hisself off as an ambassador of the sport .

RobertR

WWSLD
Silver Member
Split hairs? Not hardly. (as seen in my pic, I have no hairs to split)

Could you please answer my question, what would happen?
I've lived in the 221 and 222 before so I'd like to understand how it works from someone who has been around there also (ya know a different viewpoint)

Also, this is 2 pro players playing each other. Most of the people talking about violence against Earl are not near the level of Earl, but are talking about what they would do to him if he did (insert whatever you want here) to them. It's very rare to find one top caliber pool player physically fighting another pool player, its very common to find 2 hacks fighting each other, or a lesser player wanting to fight a better player.

Ah, you've answered your own question. Hacks or Pros, the game deserves more respect than Earl gives it. You already know the answer to your question, yet continue to troll. Someday, somewhere, someone is going to have enough or Earl's crap. I'm not saying it's me, or John Mars, or anyone. I'm merely pointing out the inevitable.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
You don't know Earl's conscience, the people close to him (his real friends know what Earl has to go through with issues, but no one but Earl, and God know his conscience) do you want someone to comment on what they think your conscience is?

Gaffe table? Both players played on it for days, both players knew every in and out of the table, and more importantly, both players agreed to the specifications ahead of time as to the table.
BTW which version of gaffe are you going by?
Definition of GAFFE
: a social or diplomatic blunder
: a noticeable mistake

Every single rule goes your way? Again the rules were made upfront knowing those rules, if you choose to not try to counter offer any rules, but play then you are agreeing to those rules.

Act like a complete moron and shark and threaten to quit to create an atmosphere of chaos. BTW which version of Chaos are you saying happened?

Chaos

1. A condition or place of great disorder or confusion.
2. A disorderly mass; a jumble: The desk was a chaos of papers and unopened letters.
3. often Chaos The disordered state of unformed matter and infinite space supposed in some cosmogonic views to have existed before the ordered universe.
4. Mathematics A dynamical system that has a sensitive dependence on its initial conditions.
5. Obsolete An abyss; a chasm.

Thanks.

1. Gaffe Table
5. Have no conscience

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
And, that stool they made Shane sit in was a joke in my opinion, he never looked comfortable. Sheesh, they play 7-8 hours a day and make him sit in the kiddy chair - classless.
12squared - I don't believe that anyone MADE Shane sit in that bar stool... so the "classless" comment has no merit or basis. Not even sure who you are referring to... Earl?... Mike Gullyassy?... the room owner?

I recall hearing or seeing a post that Earl brought in his own chair for the match. Something that Shane could have done.

Shane's chair was likely one of the standard chairs/stools at the pool room in which they played.

RobertR

WWSLD
Silver Member
You don't know Earl's conscience, the people close to him (his real friends know what Earl has to go through with issues, but no one but Earl, and God know his conscience) do you want someone to comment on what they think your conscience is?

Gaffe table? Both players played on it for days, both players knew every in and out of the table, and more importantly, both players agreed to the specifications ahead of time as to the table.
BTW which version of gaffe are you going by?
Definition of GAFFE
: a social or diplomatic blunder
: a noticeable mistake

Every single rule goes your way? Again the rules were made upfront knowing those rules, if you choose to not try to counter offer any rules, but play then you are agreeing to those rules.

Act like a complete moron and shark and threaten to quit to create an atmosphere of chaos. BTW which version of Chaos are you saying happened?

Chaos

1. A condition or place of great disorder or confusion.
2. A disorderly mass; a jumble: The desk was a chaos of papers and unopened letters.
3. often Chaos The disordered state of unformed matter and infinite space supposed in some cosmogonic views to have existed before the ordered universe.
4. Mathematics A dynamical system that has a sensitive dependence on its initial conditions.
5. Obsolete An abyss; a chasm.

Thanks.

LOL, nice move.

Mike B.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, I wish I had watched your feed where Earl was a perfect gentleman on days 2 & 3. I got the sucky feed where Earl was an a-hole all three days.

Completely agree. I was wondering the same thing. He was at his worst on Day one, and still completely out of line on days 2 and 3. There were also times we couldn't see it, but Justin and company stated that he was moving and talking while Shane was in his stance, usually when he was shooting towards Earl.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Simple question.

No doubt Earl played good and beat Shane. The question is though....
If Earl hadn't played up the antics the way he did.... would Shane have beaten him?

Earl still had the advantage on that table... no doubt.

But without the antics could SVB have beaten Earl?

I think you have an interesting thought on this subject, but I also think the answer is no way. These top players deal with similar non-sense and far worst all the time if Shane could not deal with Earls antics as you called them, he should find something else to do.

I think the table size, the pocket dimensions and size, and the fact that he was down from day one of the match effected his concentration. If you watched the match Shane looked less confident each day, it almost appeared that he just gave up mentally!!!!

JIMO

Last edited:

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recall hearing or seeing a post that Earl brought in his own chair for the match. Something that Shane could have done.

Overall, Earl was better prepared for the match. Not only did Earl get the 10' table that he wanted, he came prepared with his own chair and a custom extended cue. It appears that Shane lost his cue extender that might have helped him avoid using the bridge. In addition, it appears that Earl spent considerably more time practicing on the 10' foot table before the match. Shane was too overconfident about his chances against Earl and he definitely underestimated the difficulty of playing on a unfamiliar 10' table.

Interestingly, in the post-match interview Earl thought that his better physical conditioning made the difference between the two players. There might be a lot of truth to this too.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
With all due respect to those who feel Earl's "antics" (sharking/bad behavior) could have, in any meaningful way, changed the outcome of this match I say, no way.

Did Earl act like an a$$hole? You betcha. To be expected.

I have seen with my own eyes, and been right there when Shane has been sharked relentlessly in gambling matches and he played steady, extreme high level, SVB quality pool.

Earl's bad behavior may have cost Shane a few games but not 17.

Other factors were working against him, not the least of which, was the table.

Best,
Brian kc

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ability did it

Overall, Earl was better prepared for the match. Not only did Earl get the 10' table that he wanted, he came prepared with his own chair and a custom extended cue. It appears that Shane lost his cue extender that might have helped him avoid using the bridge. In addition, it appears that Earl spent considerably more time practicing on the 10' foot table before the match. Shane was too overconfident about his chances against Earl and he definitely underestimated the difficulty of playing on a unfamiliar 10' table.

Interestingly, in the post-match interview Earl thought that his better physical conditioning made the difference between the two players. There might be a lot of truth to this too.

Just like everyone else, I didn't like Earl's behavior; Sharking moves aside, I think Earl just plays better on the 10' table than Shane......I agree with you about his preparation being better too....along with the fact that Earl has been familiar with the 10' a LOT longer than Shane.....Think of all the years Earl has had experience with the 10' table over Shane....(What was Shane doing when Earl first played on a 10' table?) If you have ever played on a 10', you'd see that it's almost a completely different feel, like a snooker table....the first time I tried it, it was like a football field to me....