How Do You Jerk the Rock Back???

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerk the rock, when drawing the cue ball back the cue ball noticably accelerates a second or third time after it initially starts coming back.

Tips or Techniques appreciated.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Jerk the rock, when drawing the cue ball back the cue ball noticably accelerates a second or third time after it initially starts coming back.

It only accelerates once. The cue ball does not accelerate a second or third time.

Look at this slow motion video:
http://billiards.colostate.edu/high_speed_videos/HSV4-1.htm

The cue ball actually stays frozen for several revolutions until the friction becomes great enough to accelerate the ball in the opposite direction.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I noticed your signature block with your 14.1 goals. Do you think 18,000 years is long enough to increase your high run by 6 balls? :D

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member

It only accelerates once. The cue ball does not accelerate a second or third time.

Sure it does ....you just need to have the manual transmission cue ball. This effect won't work with your run of the mill automatic tranny cue ball.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed your signature block with your 14.1 goals. Do you think 18,000 years is long enough to increase your high run by 6 balls? :D

I'll play you some straight pool buddy and I do not know you or how you play.

I'll be at the Derby this year what would you like to play for say 2 out of 3 to a hundred.

Might be some EZ action for you, Mr Easy E

Let me know

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Look at this slow motion video:
http://billiards.colostate.edu/high_speed_videos/HSV4-1.htm

The cue ball actually stays frozen for several revolutions until the friction becomes great enough to accelerate the ball in the opposite direction.

Look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqCPqYJ30zo at about 35 seconds or so it comes back a bit and then it speeds up

or

Here on snooker table about 12 seconds or so it is a slow draw and then it speeds up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFYZ1e_i8oM&NR=1

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
I'll play you some straight pool buddy and I do not know you or how you play.

I'll be at the Derby this year what would you like to play for say 2 out of 3 to a hundred.

Might be some EZ action for you, Mr Easy E

Let me know

i think he was just joking and referring to the mistake in your signature - i think it's meant to say 2010 and not 20010.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
It is accelerating only once.

The ball is still slipping on the cloth just like it did in the slow motion video where the ball stayed in place. What you are calling a second speed up is actually just where it is reaching its maximum draw velocity. The ball is overcoming the friction during the acceleration. After that, the ball is now rolling and decelerating.

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
True, but with you its just easier to assume you're being a smartass.

How do I jerk the rock....I usually I start out with lots of lotion and my special 1970's edition of Hustler's Beaver Hunt, and then I...ooops you said Rock:eek::eek::eek:Practice, Practice, Practice

-don

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK EZ-E thanks for indirectly pointing out my sig err -- I fixed it

I will still play you some 14.1 at DCC let me know

Now back to jerk the rock or massive draw the double accel thing I put a couple of links up to you tube and it is pretty clear to me that the ball is coming back and speeds up a second time.

What I want is a strong draw stroke, I can draw a table length or more at times but I do not have the extra snap of the upper tier players.

In the meantime I will continue hitting balls, keeping my bridge solid and on the table bed, head down/still, finish the stroke with knuckles up and cue hand getting to home.

Those items are what I currently am doing and with some success. I am working on hitting the cue ball where I intend but that is not yet an exact science for me.

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
When I break a tip or two too low, the cue seems to snap back into one of the corner pockets like a rocket.....just emulate that action and you'll be on the rocket draw in no time :grin:

Level cue, draw position on cue ball, smooth stroke with pace, follow-through like you are almost trying to hit the ob with the cue (visualization).....good felt should get you humming backwards in no time.....start about 2 feet away from the ob, and then work yourself backwards.....buddy of mine can go almost full table, hit the ob, and then snap it back.....it's unreal....

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member

There is no such thing as a double acceleration or triple acceleration. There is an acceleration, then a constant velocity, and then a deceleration. When you hit a smooth draw shot, the cueball will accelerate off the cue tip. the cue ball is spinning backwards. There is a magical point along its path where that acceleration is 0, and the cue ball has a constant velocity. When the cueball hits the object ball, there is a massive deceleration. That's when the rotational force of the draw kicks in. If you've ever seen the cueball "spinning its wheels", you've seen whitey stall for a quick second, then yank back? There is no acceleration going on. In fact, in any draw shot, you are actually fighting constant deceleration, as the friction from the cloth is always fighting the reverse action.

So, to answer your question, you can't hit a draw shot that accelerates. It will constantly be decelerating the second it leaves the cue. Now, what you are probably noticing is table slide. Imagine spinning the tires in a 1000hp Bugati. The tires can accelerate faster than the tires can grab the pavement. Your car will move faster when the tires are spinning slower, because you don't have any wasted rotational force. On new Simonis cloth, you can play some disgusting draw shots - big sweeping hooks, massive C curve draws. It's because the cueball is spinning so fast, but it's not grabbing the cloth. Where you see the "acceleration" you're referring to is when the cueball has started to grab the cloth. As it slows down, it has better friction between the ball and cloth. The cueball is constantly slowing down, but the rotational force is now more effective, as the cueball is rolling on the cloth instead of spinning and skidding.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
chalk up, aim low, stay down, and follow through completely.

If your rock doesnt snap back on a firm stroke, then you need to revisit one of the following above.

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jerking

I may not jerk the rock well but I know what to jerk to get my rocks off.:grin: