Floor covering for basement

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I did mine in 2 phases and 2 ends of the cost spectrum.

To just get a table in the basement I looked at whatever carpet Home Depot had in an 18 ft wide roll and bought 30 feet of it and the same amount of their cheapest pad.

Once I was ready to spend real money I used engineered wood but got a thick and wide variety that had a bit of a built in moisture protection layer on the bottom. I glued it right to the bare concrete but used a very specific mastic adhesive that is adhesive/moisture barrier/leveling compound in one. I put it down with a notched trowel like you would lay tile. Keep in mind I had 10 years of mot having any moisture plus did several tests where you tape plastic down in one square foot areas to check moisture.

I did wood only after knowing it was dry. Kitchen, bar, bathroom and walk out areas are ceranic tile but about 1200 square ft is the wood.

I just don't care for carpet in general but if I did I'd use a fairly dark commercial carpet.

The table light never really moved.
13e61a00643f8b602bd999423947efb4.jpg
56eda69de2f215cae0f8c5a94fe04a8b.jpg
5f066c81a18a9bc4fb457b1280c1e3a0.jpg
073b5ba88a9ffbf2404b9206355fc5de.jpg

Sent from the future.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i have one with carpet and one with laminate flooring. both are nice but the carpet room is quieter and nicer to walk on and many times i play in just socks or slippers and the carpet is much better for that.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Used carpet tiles in my room. Cost about $1.19/sq ft. Easy to put in, durable and ordered some extras so I can replace some of they get stained or damaged.

Carpet tiles too. I stained the concrete and put down some area rugs in other places.

We shouldn’t get water in the basement, have a French drain and a backup sump pump, but I like the knowing that I can pull everything up if Needed.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of these are pretty wild: https://www.astrocarpetmills.com/ They have more "upscale" patterns but I've seriously considered some of the space themed ones, but it wouldn't match the table at all.

EDIT: I forgot to add, most carpet stores carry commercial lines. My parents used them in their house, looked new for like 2 decades then they moved. You could literally clean it with bleach and it was color fast. The fibers themselves were some kind of poly with the color built in. It sounds hideous, but it just looked like a nice blue low pile carpet and it was surprisingly comfortable.

Its Olefin not polyester.
Cheap commercial carpet is made from Olefin.
Olefin is solution dyed meaning the color is part of the fiber instead of just coated(Nylon has dye slots to accept the color that then have to be coated to resist stains) like nylon.
It's damn near indestructible from chemicals and highly resists staining but Nylon will wear better.
The higher end commercial carpet is made from Nylon.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New home 13 years ago. Main section has concrete, carpet underlayment and commercial grade nylon carpet. A GC sit there. Branching off to the side was a linoleum floored section first used as a photography studio. I moved all my equipment into storage during the covid lockdown and put in a little Valley bar box. It's OK but I'm looking for a rug made out of nylon or the like, that will look old time to fit under the table with three or four foot beyond each side. It's much nicer walking around the GC on carpet.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put down cheap tongue and groove flooring and then put anti-fatigue rubber mats around the table so my feet wouldn't hurt after a few hours of playing.

That was 12 years ago and it is still holding up fine.

RacerX750

Registered
I covered the concrete floors in my basement with good quality commercial grade low pile carpet. When a ball hits the floor (and it eventually will) you don't have to worry about chipping the ball.
When I moved and put the table in that finished basement it already had carpet. No leveling issues at either house.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did mine in 2 phases and 2 ends of the cost spectrum.

To just get a table in the basement I looked at whatever carpet Home Depot had in an 18 ft wide roll and bought 30 feet of it and the same amount of their cheapest pad.

Once I was ready to spend real money I used engineered wood but got a thick and wide variety that had a bit of a built in moisture protection layer on the bottom. I glued it right to the bare concrete but used a very specific mastic adhesive that is adhesive/moisture barrier/leveling compound in one. I put it down with a notched trowel like you would lay tile. Keep in mind I had 10 years of mot having any moisture plus did several tests where you tape plastic down in one square foot areas to check moisture.

I did wood only after knowing it was dry. Kitchen, bar, bathroom and walk out areas are ceranic tile but about 1200 square ft is the wood.

I just don't care for carpet in general but if I did I'd use a fairly dark commercial carpet.

The table light never really moved.
f3eeeb4319885466c07cc2de9841fc67.jpg
e2cabf46236613b41a71b30e1d0086ae.jpg
8c9f48fec6b808a8fdccdd29ac9a99c7.jpg
611bc2f028d5317bf2d272ada2cdf8f5.jpg

Sent from the future.
How high are your lights from the playing surface?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another commercial grade choice at my house.

Buddy worked at the carpet store. Couldn't discount the carpet, but had guys do double padding :rolleyes:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
How high are your lights from the playing surface?

Ill measure tonight, but how I set it up was to be as high as possible yet below eye level when sitting in my spectator chairs. Too high and you are looking into a harsh light. Too low and you are banging cues on them. A different style light can of course work well at a much higher position.

Mobiker

I had mine stained and sealed. I don't have a water problem, but you never know with basements.

Attachments

• IMG_2159.JPG
    IMG_2159.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 165

bmeek

Registered
Carpet will be much quieter and easier on the knees. Any balls or cues that hit it wouldn't be damaged as well. Table may have to be re-leveled after settling in, but it would be worth it.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Commercial grade tight loop carpet GLUED down to the concrete floor (NO PADDING). I did my entire basement that way from the advice of my buddy who was part owner of a flooring store. It's been 20 years and the carpet shows little to no wear.

Tight loop carpet is actually very durable and wears great as long as you dont put padding underneath. It's the padding that makes the backing flex which leads to premature wear, so I was told.

Last edited:

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
I'm about finished with my new basement. I went with 2X2' carpet tiles for the playing area and luxury vinyl plank for the rest of the flooring. Pictured is just before the table went in......the black area is same tiles but in 18X36" strips. The tiles have padding under them and actually feel like regular carpet. I can give the brand names if you want them.

DTL

edit: added 3rd pic, just after install. Still had the plastic protection on carpet tiles. Bar area still not finished yet :sad:.

carpet1.jpeg carpet2.jpeg

carpet3.jpg

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I purchased (5) black 1/2'' 4'X16' rubber flooring rolls.
Unrolled em over my concrete floor.
Taped the seams to keep dirt out.

Last edited:

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased (5) black 1/2'' 16x20 rubber flooring rolls. Unrolled em over my concrete floor. Taped the seams to keep dirt out.

This is the route I wanted to go in my garage, but the concrete finish was too rough. It'd need a TON of grinding to fix, so I didn't bother.

Should be a very comfortable surface for playing on.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A lot of nice looking poolrooms on here, and many good suggestions as well. I used an epoxy sealer on a concrete floor and then we put indoor/outdoor carpet over it, with no padding. I used a medium gray color so not to show the stains that eventually will happen. It was a thin but durable carpet, maybe three/eighths inch thick, but much better than walking around on concrete for hours. I had that in my house for about seven or eight years before I moved and it was still in good shape when I left. It was inexpensive and easy to install by me and a buddy. Probably a few hundred dollars as I recall.

In my current home (for the last sixteen years) I've always had a pool table in the living room. The floor is also concrete with laminated wood flooring covering it (it has a thin underlayer/sealer). It's the same flooring they use in restaurants with high traffic. I often play in my socks or barefoot, as do others who practice here. It wasn't what I would call cheap though, costing a over a thousand for the flooring and installation. I did over half of my house with this new flooring, replacing the old well worn carpet. Total cost was several thousand to cover about 1200 square feet so I can only estimate how much it would cost to do the one large room (16'x20').

Last edited:

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
These are 24" carpet tiles, glued semi permanent to slab. I bought about 30 extra tiles for replacements if the ones around the table get worn out.

2nd attempt to post a good picture. Hope that helps. These are the tiles mentioned from Wayfair for $1.19/square foot. Cost a little over $500 the glue, installed in about 2-3 hours.

The light measures 50-51" from playing surface to the bottom as well.

Attachments

• Table Full.jpg
    Table Full.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
This is the route I wanted to go in my garage, but the concrete finish was too rough. It'd need a TON of grinding to fix, so I didn't bother.

Should be a very comfortable surface for playing on.

Extremely comfortable for long play, except they were 4'x16' X 5 :p.

They are also a very quiet surface, no echos with music etc.