Mosconi Cup 2019 Day 1 (25 Nov) and Lineup

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Shaw, sitting on the hill, breaks rack 6 and makes a ball. The runout is touchy, as Jayson must accept short side shape on a long two ball, and he misses it. Justin comes to the table with a great opportunity and converts the runout to pull within 4-2. Justin to break rack 7. It ain’t over quite yet!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Bergman breaks wet in rack 7 and makes a nice thin cut on the one ball. The rest was pretty routine and Bergman pulls to within 4-3. This is getting interesting. Shaw to break in rack 8, and it will be the last time he breaks in this match.

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn hell of a try to comeback from Bergman just not enough time.

Did Shaws ball roll off of the middle of the table on that last break it kind of looked like it.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Shaw breaks wet in rack 8 and has a good look at the one ball. The runout looks like 80% to me, but Mosconi pressure is a little different. Shaw finishes the deal for a 5-3 victory and Session 1 of the 2019 Mosconi is in the books.

Team Europe 3 Team USA 2.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Team Europe will be coming back for Day 2 with 'Mo' on their side but Team USA did well in spots and I am happy that Justin mounted a comeback, although he came up short, that he will hopefully stay confident going forward.

Go USA...

Last edited:

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crowd has been electric! if shaw has been the black hat in the past, filler just swiped it from him. He loves the animosity from the home crowd. too bad he backs it up.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is my fourth Mosconi Cup and man, the American fans are being terrible while the Europeans are shooting. It’s bad. Hopefully they chill out.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its a matter of effort. One big problem with "neutral" rackers.

I'd say its a matter of competence. The job is to produce a tight rack. Every time. Not discounting lack of effort as an explanation for the lack of competence. Very annoying though. So far this Mosconi Cup seems full of issues.

KMRUNOUT

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is my fourth Mosconi Cup and man, the American fans are being terrible while the Europeans are shooting. It’s bad. Hopefully they chill out.

Rewatch last years Europe literally woo'd 3-4 times on the back stroke of every US player last year

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Tomorrow's another day and I didn't see any of the Team match, but what I saw was a little scary. In Match 2, Feijen giftwrapped the final rack. Europe beat the US to the shot at double hill, but didn't convert. It was a gift that Team USA should have done something with, but the last three matches were not at all well played by the Americans, and Bergman's late charge in Match 5 may help his confidence, but he doesn't look like he has his best stuff.

Given its mediocre play, 3-2 down isn't half bad, but Team USA will have to play much better than this to defend the cup. To me, Kaci and Kazakis look a year wiser and more comfortable, Filler looks like a killer, Shaw looks like he did at the International 9-Ball, and only Feijen, despite some exceptional safety play, looks a little off.

Decision making was very respectable in Session 1 for Team USA, but shot execution was well off the mark, and there is much to fix for tomorrow.

I'm keeping the faith, but can't say I like what I see to this point from Team USA.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Tomorrow's another day and I didn't see any of the Team match, but what I saw was a little scary. In Match 2, Feijen giftwrapped the final rack. Europe beat the US to the shot at double hill, but didn't convert. It was a gift that Team USA should have done something with, but the last three matches were not at all well played by the Americans, and Bergman's late charge in Match 5 may help his confidence, but he doesn't look like he has his best stuff.

Given its mediocre play, 3-2 down isn't half bad, but Team USA will have to play much better than this to defend the cup. To me, Kaci and Kazakis look a year wiser and more comfortable, Filler looks like a killer, Shaw looks like he did at the International 9-Ball, and only Feijen, despite some exceptional safety play, looks a little off.

Decision making was very respectable in Session 1 for Team USA, but shot execution was well off the mark, and there is much to fix for tomorrow.

I'm keeping the faith, but can't say I like what I see to this point from Team USA.

I hate to say it but without you and myself there cheering for team USA they are with a disadvantage.:grin: