Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Opinions on "forced win" rule.
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Opinions on "forced win" rule.
Old
  (#1)
Mr. Bond
Orbis Non Sufficit
Mr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Opinions on "forced win" rule. - 01-15-2018, 02:23 PM

Player vs player in a match..and their score is tied, hill hill.

Player A breaks a rule that, by the book, automatically gives him a loss.

Player B, by the book, gets the win and the match

BUT player B doesnt want to win by a technicality and insists on playing the final game anyway.

Question: should a player have the option of insisting that a final game be played, or should a player be "forced" to take the win.

Old
  (#2)
thepavlos
AzB Gold Member
thepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2425

01-15-2018, 02:48 PM

If player B insists and Player A doen't mind I don't see why not since A is getting a second chance.

"Make up your mind and do what I tell you" - My Father

Brain: Are you naturally that stupid Pinky?
Pinky: Oh no Brain, I practice, all day ... all night

RESULTS NOT TYPICAL... INDIVIDUAL RESULTS MAY VARY

Old
  (#3)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-15-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bond View Post

BUT player B doesnt want to win by a technicality and insists on playing the final game anyway.

Question: should a player have the option of insisting that a final game be played, or should a player be "forced" to take the win.
If this is a tournament and there is a ref or a tournament director, he is bound by duty to enforce the rules. Presumably the players have agreed to abide by the rules. That means they are supposed to follow them, too.

If it is a private game or there is no official, the players decide themselves what to do. If there is a calcutta, Heaven help the "polite" guy.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#4)
Jerry R
AzB Silver Member
Jerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond reputeJerry R has a reputation beyond repute

I greatly admire the guy who insisted they play it out, and have done similar things myself when a opponent is late to a match, but at this level of play the rules should be strictly enforced by the tournament director.

While in a sense it would have backfired in this scenario, the purpose of that rule is to make sure the spectators get to see the last ball drop.

I know I was annoyed at how many games Earl conceded to Darren in that 4 pocket match and wish they would have forced them to play out each game.

Last edited by Jerry R; 01-15-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Old
  (#5)
BRussell
AzB Silver Member
BRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a refereed match, like Turning Stone was, Billy, I mean the player who committed the foul, should lose.

Old
  (#6)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-15-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Hm.. sounds familiar LOL Turning Stone maybe... maybe...

Maybe not exactly the same thing, but I have seen a video of snooker sportsmanship where the player would overrule the ref ruling and refuse to take the foul or the other player would not accept a foul that was called on the opponent.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#7)
jimmyco
NRA4Life
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2018, 03:40 PM

As player B might find the victory bittersweet, would player A be pleased by winning on a second chance?

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#8)
Cracktherack
AzB Silver Member
Cracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond reputeCracktherack has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2018, 04:32 PM

Spectators should not have any say in the matter. The same as yelling out "Shoot the 2, not the 3." If a player is about to shoot the wrong ball. "Foul, I saw it from way up here." "Hey, you forgot to mark up your point."
If you're watching the game as an observer, keep your mouth shut and your opinion of a broken rule doesn't matter anyway.

If you claim you're just trying to clean up the image of pool, forget about it. That has been going on for 60 years with no progress.

My Mom was cell mate with Martha Stewart and taught her how to make a shank from a toothbrush.

"Perfect position for Shaw is when the object ball and cue ball are on the same table." Mark Wilson

Old
  (#9)
book collector
AzB Silver Member
book collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracktherack View Post
Spectators should not have any say in the matter. The same as yelling out "Shoot the 2, not the 3." If a player is about to shoot the wrong ball. "Foul, I saw it from way up here." "Hey, you forgot to mark up your point."
If you're watching the game as an observer, keep your mouth shut and your opinion of a broken rule doesn't matter anyway.

If you claim you're just trying to clean up the image of pool, forget about it. That has been going on for 60 years with no progress.
I was playing in a tournament and the young guy I was playing was doing all he could to shark me.
Walking around in front of me while I am shooting yakking to friends about the shot I am getting ready to hit etc. etc.
I finally get to the hill and he has about 3 games and knows it's over .
While I am shooting he leaves the table to play the juke box , when he gets back I have run out.
Then one of his friends says , he fouled on the 4 ball.
Which I had not. wasn't even close.
Now the young guy starts argueing with me that it's his game lol.
There is a never ending supply of idiots and creeps swimming in the billiards pool.

Old
  (#10)
book collector
AzB Silver Member
book collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
Hm.. sounds familiar LOL Turning Stone maybe... maybe...

Maybe not exactly the same thing, but I have seen a video of snooker sportsmanship where the player would overrule the ref ruling and refuse to take the foul or the other player would not accept a foul that was called on the opponent.
If I was the ref in that situation, I would give them both a loss.

Old
  (#11)
Mr. Bond
Orbis Non Sufficit
Mr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracktherack View Post

Spectators are a non issue.

Question is whether or not a player should be forced to take a win if he doesn't want it, or should the rules trump all regardless .

Just an opinion question. I have no agenda.

Old
  (#12)
RiverCity
~Chuck Fields~
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
If this is a tournament and there is a ref or a tournament director, he is bound by duty to enforce the rules. Presumably the players have agreed to abide by the rules. That means they are supposed to follow them, too.

If it is a private game or there is no official, the players decide themselves what to do. If there is a calcutta, Heaven help the "polite" guy.
Tap tap tap

I don't like making plans for the day, because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.

Player: Lucasi w/ Cynergy
Breaker: Poison
Case: JB Cases

Old
  (#13)
gregcantrall
Center Ball
gregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Spectators are a non issue.

Question is whether or not a player should be forced to take a win if he doesn't want it, or should the rules trump all regardless .

Just an opinion question. I have no agenda.
I could be mistaken but it seems to me that I remember BCAPL having a rule about players agreeing not to follow the rules.

Personally I have done the declining and played it out when the rule was broken to the letter but not to the spirit. There used to be a rule against laying the cue on the table (to help with aiming) so technically a player laying his cue on the table to preserve the layout while going to the restroom could be called for a foul. There are others as well.

Old
  (#14)
td873
BCA PCA ABA
td873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

01-15-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
If it's a refereed match, like Turning Stone was, Billy, I mean the player who committed the foul, should lose.
Arguably, Billy committed a deliberate foul (moving a stationary object ball), which probably results in a different penalty than loss of game + 1 game.

I can see how some might say he was conceding the game - but what I saw was billy showing a little frustration and whacking the 9-ball across table with his stick. That's only a ball in hand foul.

Plus, who wants to be the guy who wins because you called a special kind of foul?

And, spectators want to see players play. Not officials calling games.

As mentioned earlier, if both players agree - where's the harm?

-td

Black + Gilbert J/B
Justis
9' GC I/II [Diamond Specs] [Littman light]
Simonis HR [Tournament blue]
Aramith Pro Cup TV / Cyclop

Old
  (#15)
StraightPoolIU
Brent
StraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

01-15-2018, 08:26 PM

In a tournament situation it shouldn't matter what the opponent does or doesn't want to happen. The match should run according to the agreed upon rules of the event.

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: