Dilemma...opinions welcome.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put it in the house and put the wife in the workshop. Just kidding John. Students will be fine in the workshop as long as it's not to hot or to cold. Lessons is why they're there.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Writers have workshops.....artists have workshops.....etc.

Just call it Brumback's Billiards Workshop...
....and don't hide anything.
The game is always on the table, no matter the surroundings.

Heated floor tiles could work.

John Brumback

Silver Member
Well, having actually been to your shop, I absolutely think you should set up the table there, so I do agree with Shannon D about that. I would also consider applying a floor coating like rustoleum's epoxy shield. That cuts down on dust and you can also soften the feel of the space by choosing a warm color (yes, that is my wife's thinking on the color part). I used that on my basement floor if you recall.

Or put it in the house if your wife would not mind ( but mine would).

Cheers,
JL

Thanks a lot JL Maybe you can take a day off of one of your 3 jobs and come and help me do some of that stuff:D Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's going in the shop:wink: JB

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
sounds like early stages

John,

If the shop isn't insulated yet have a little of the foam sprayed. An inch or two of foam seals things then fiberglass batting is cheaper and just fine from there. If considering the foam sheets the IR barrier really does work to keep heat out.

Your best advice is coming from people that have seen the shop and they seem to think it is fine. I would definitely prefer a private lesson to be private rather than in a pool hall where many are held. Good chance that there would be distractions in the house sometimes too.

Hu

John Brumback

Silver Member
Would take a quality lesson in Macy's window. Seriously...Yes. Shop would be fine.

My Pa house has a table in the basement. The Florida house has one big main room that would accommodate a table but my wife would toss me and the table out from the noise. I understand your situation. On a side note if my wife took my table and left I'd miss that GoldCrown.

Thanks, Looks like I'm going to put her in the shop.......No No I mean my table:thumbup: JB

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
If I were John Brumack I'd just snap off a smooth $20-30,000 at the DCC and go off on a new pool building..... But that's just me being you.

John Brumback

Silver Member
John,

If the shop isn't insulated yet have a little of the foam sprayed. An inch or two of foam seals things then fiberglass batting is cheaper and just fine from there. If considering the foam sheets the IR barrier really does work to keep heat out.

Your best advice is coming from people that have seen the shop and they seem to think it is fine. I would definitely prefer a private lesson to be private rather than in a pool hall where many are held. Good chance that there would be distractions in the house sometimes too.

Hu

Thanks! The walls are already insulated. Just need to tighten it up here and there, put a ceiling in and do something to the floor.Maybe a new garage door inside from the sliding door that is there now. It's not a barn,it's a nice metal building.24x36 about 7 years old. Thanks again. JB

John Brumback

Silver Member
If I were John Brumack I'd just snap off a smooth $20-30,000 at the DCC and go off on a new pool building..... But that's just me being you.

That's what my best bud just told me 30 min ago, same thing. That's my goal this year...playin for a new pool table building!!

When I won the Lex. All star open in 2000,my goal was to win enough for a new roof for my house! I won it and came home and bought a new roof for 6k. I kid you not.No wonder I feel so much pressure when i play:eek::D JB PS: Cya,got to go practice somemore:frown:

John Brumback

Silver Member
Writers have workshops.....artists have workshops.....etc.

Just call it Brumback's Billiards Workshop...
....and don't hide anything.
The game is always on the table, no matter the surroundings.

Heated floor tiles could work.

Ohhhh,I like that..Thank you. JB

fat Albert

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SHOP. I know many will be surprised but some pool players actually cuss and say bad words that could be offensive and embarrassing to your wife and other house guest. So in the shop with a refrig in case you want to have a cold one to hammer home a point and your student lets go with some bad words

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, you think someone giving lessons needs to go find a store front and pay $1500 to $3000 a month for rent so it's professional enough ?

Never said anything about a storefront. I said I would expect a professional setting.

Stan Shuffett has a very nice setup... At his house... But I'm not in his living room. That was what I was getting at. John asked; the shop or the house? I said not the house. So, that leaves the shop. I said it would need to be well insulated and ventilated and in a business like establishment. It could be John's shop, but it would be nice if it there was a "poolroom" in the shop.

So many people on AzB read, but don't actually understand what they are reading. Nvm, that's too much jibjab. I'm starting to sound like CJ Wiley :eek:

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put it in the shop. $50 an hour is very, very reasonable for lessons from someone of your caliber. :thumbup:

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks! The walls are already insulated. Just need to tighten it up here and there, put a ceiling in and do something to the floor.Maybe a new garage door inside from the sliding door that is there now. It's not a barn,it's a nice metal building.24x36 about 7 years old. Thanks again. JB

If I lived closer, I'd barter lessons for remodeling labor. :thumbup: I'd have you fixed up in a jif, and you'd fix things for me.

Best,
Mike