Please Post pic's of Your Real Balabushka's

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Think You are missing the idea behind the thread , it is the spirit of it and giving a chance for owners display there cues with stories and Memories. YOU GUY'S WIN , I THROW UP THE WHITE FLAG.

I'm glad you made this post. I understand what you were doing and some of us like to show our cues from time to time. Maybe I'll try to make some better pics if I stop working like so many others have.

My grandfather went to George's home to pick up two cues, actually. One is the one you see in my avatar and the other was more plain with some wood inlay and no mop. My father gave that cue to a business associate in the 80's who turned out to be a real crook. The cue was last seen on someone's pool table in Connecticut back then. Somebody like Jimbo prolly owns it now, lol.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I agree with you, I have circled the part of the pic that led me to think it was BEM.

I'm no expert either (by a long shot), this wood grain looks very different from all the other cues he made (Disclaimer: that i have seen)

edit,,, the upload failed but i the eyes are visible to me near the ends of the points (in between the points,,, there are 2 or 3 of them)

didn't see those couple birds-eyes between the points. I was focusing up the forearm.

Good catch!

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I'm glad you made this post. I understand what you were doing and some of us like to show our cues from time to time. Maybe I'll try to make some better pics if I stop working like so many others have.

My grandfather went to George's home to pick up two cues, actually. One is the one you see in my avatar and the other was more plain with some wood inlay and no mop. My father gave that cue to a business associate in the 80's who turned out to be a real crook. The cue was last seen on someone's pool table in Connecticut back then. Somebody like Jimbo prolly owns it now, lol.

Dan;

I always liked the classic design of your grandfathers bushka but never found one like it to buy so I decided to do a bushka on a budget. :grin-square:

Had Schmelke Cues make me a Schmelabushka! :thumbup::grin::wink:

Attachments

• Schmelke-bushka-full.jpg
    Schmelke-bushka-full.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 279
  • Schmelke-bushka-buttsleeve.jpg
    Schmelke-bushka-buttsleeve.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 284
  • Schmelke-bushka-veneers.jpg
    Schmelke-bushka-veneers.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 275

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan;

I always liked the classic design of your grandfathers bushka but never found one like it to buy so I decided to do a bushka on a budget. :grin-square:

Had Schmelke Cues make me a Schmelabushka! :thumbup::grin::wink:

LOL, very nice! You know the saying: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

I have a pm from you about that cue back in 2016 so I guess you really did like it. If I had someone make a tribute cue it would look very close to yours.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
there sure has been a lot of speculation over the years about these glitter bands. Pete doesn't know - I think at one point the leading hypothesis was they were poss some sort of packing used in plumbing perhaps that were avail at a local Brooklyn hardware/plumbing store. Alternate guess from Pete was maybe something used in musical instruments like an accordian. He says the glitter part that we see is foil on a clear substrate with a canvas backing. Pete says George's two sons also have no idea what it is.

The Russian master has us guessing all these years later. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

I always though they might have been ribbon for presents or some type of fancy "string" on a balloon, something to do with celebrations.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Balabushka -

I really like this old Balabushka….

I have (2) new Tascarella shafts, (1) unknown shaft, and (1) Balabushka shaft

Attachments

• IMG_0926.jpg
    IMG_0926.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0925 (1).JPG
    IMG_0925 (1).JPG
    29 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0927.jpg
    IMG_0927.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 250

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used the search extensively on the forum. And almost every single time pictures are either missing or blurred.
I really can’t understand why people don’t want new threads n the same or similar topics.
If I don’t want to read a thread I generally don’t click on it, just keep on scrolling.
I have heard it said many times about the quality of AZ going downhill over the years.
I think rude people are the number one cause. I’m sure I’ve been rude whether intentionally or unintentionally over the years. But I don’t make a habit of it. Some people do.
I’ve read many threads of how pool in general in declining. Maybe instead of being rude you might try to be helpful? Or even ignore a thread you just don’t like?

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 7 Bushka’s and don’t know how to post a pic :(

I think you posted years ago that the Balabushka you owned that played the best, was the one that looked the worst. Hardly any finish left.

If only those cues could talk, I bet that they would tell a lot of interesting stories.

Ken

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
I really do need to drag mine out and get some better pictures, but here's a couple I've posted earlier. This one has just about everything George was famous for: Bushka rings, glitter bands, railroad tracks, seven veneer index rings etc.. It is in great shape and has never been refinished. It is almost identical to the cue Irving Crane used with the exceptions that his had colored points while mine are black and natural, and he had a leather wrap on his. All four shafts and the butt roll flat as a pancake. I have a 1x4 gator case for it that was made several years ago by Sam Engles. It's a little reminiscent of Harvey Martin's cases.

Attachments

• Bushka 2 001.JPG
    Bushka 2 001.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 214
  • Bushka 2 002.jpg
    Bushka 2 002.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 210
  • Bushka 2 003.jpg
    Bushka 2 003.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 216
  • Bushka 2 004.jpg
    Bushka 2 004.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 218
  • Engles gator2.jpg
    Engles gator2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 207

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone point me to "how to post pics"

When you make a new post there is a menu above the area where you type. Look for the little paper clip next to the smiley face on the top line. Click on that and then select "browse." Find the picture on your computer and then click on it and hit OK. Then click the upload button. Do that for each photo. Then go back and type your text. When you want to insert a photo click on the paper clip again and you will see a list of all the photos you uploaded. Just select each one to insert them into your text.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I really do need to drag mine out and get some better pictures, but here's a couple I've posted earlier. This one has just about everything George was famous for: Bushka rings, glitter bands, railroad tracks, seven veneer index rings etc.. It is in great shape and has never been refinished. It is almost identical to the cue Irving Crane used with the exceptions that his had colored points while mine are black and natural, and he had a leather wrap on his. All four shafts and the butt roll flat as a pancake. I have a 1x4 gator case for it that was made several years ago by Sam Engles. It's a little reminiscent of Harvey Martin's cases.

WOW!

George went all out in that cue.....
He was such an artist :bow-down::bow-down::bow-down: