Ivory Bust at the city level

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good.
the ivory trade is a disgusting thing.
killing magnificent animals just to have something some consider pretty.
i would not have a cue with ivory in it,but if i did i would hide it or sell it.

tc in l a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good.
i would not have a cue with ivory in it,but if i did i would hide it or sell it.
Don't want to start another ivory debate. I agree that killing these animals just for the ivory is terrible but also think that it's the corrupt and ineffective governments that deserve most of the blame. If they could properly manage the ivory from the animals that die a natural death there might be a legitimate market, but they cannot so here we are.

I do have a few cues with ivory but they were acquired before I gave this much thought, would like to sell one of them but now that I have them it seems the only thing to do is keep them and hand them down to my nephews when I kick the bucket.

Tony C

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
good.

I agree. I have one cue with some ivory inlays and ferrule. Can I get in trouble to have it? I have had it since 1990?

PoppaSaun

Banned
good.

Great logic there, genius.

I don't like people selling ivory, so if I had any ivory, I'd sell it...or hide it.

If you believe in this movement, your only choice is to destroy the ivory.

By-the-by, this is the route that many rosewoods are going to go down. Many are already on CITES lists. Not too long until trading in old objects made of those will be illegal, also.

There is exactly one way to stop this. It doesn't involve 'saving the animals', it involves limiting human procreation. It was a neat experiment to see how many people we could stuff onto this planet, but we need to roll it back a few billion pretty quick.

PoppaSaun

Banned
I agree. I have one cue with some ivory inlays and ferrule. Can I get in trouble to have it? I have had it since 1990?

If you agree, you must destroy the ivory. The current theory is that having any ivory leads to elephants dying for their tusks. The jack boots will be by to see you comply.

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Great logic there, genius.

I don't like people selling ivory, so if I had any ivory, I'd sell it...or hide it.

If you believe in this movement, your only choice is to destroy the ivory.

By-the-by, this is the route that many rosewoods are going to go down. Many are already on CITES lists. Not too long until trading in old objects made of those will be illegal, also.

There is exactly one way to stop this. It doesn't involve 'saving the animals', it involves limiting human procreation. It was a neat experiment to see how many people we could stuff onto this planet, but we need to roll it back a few billion pretty quick.

You could volunteer

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I do have a few cues with ivory but they were acquired before I gave this much thought, would like to sell one of them but now that I have them it seems the only thing to do is keep them and hand them down to my nephews when I kick the bucket.

Tony C

Hi Uncle Tony. :groucho::wink:

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I'm cremated the white stuff is going in the oven with me. Then
all the elephants well come back to life right? Sheet, there's the police at the door.
Gotta go.

tc in l a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Originally Posted by tc in l a

Tony C

Hi Uncle Tony. :groucho::wink:
Dammit Tooler, you made me spit my iced tea all over my keyboard, you're out of the will (and you're a very funny guy).

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have cues with ivory, I have guns with ivory grips, I have knives with ivory handles, and a few scrimshaw items that I have collected over 50 years. I'll be damned if I'm going to have any government confiscate my belongings because someone is offended by the possession of something that was killed or died years and years ago. What about fossilized ivory? That too?
This new mindset of telling other people what to say, what to wear, what to display, what to possess because they don't agree with something has become as absurd as the safe places they need when they're offended. Long before the Nazis destroyed historical monuments, long before the Taliban destroyed ancient statues, there have been those who destroyed never-to-be-replaced artifacts that we never knew existed. This stupidity is being carried out today because people are now over reacting to being offended. What the hell has happened to everybody? People have to confiscate and destroy property of others, or demand that the government do so, due to their weak tolerances?

P.S. I just realized I also have an old Gibson guitar with ivory inlays AND Brazilian rosewood. OMG!

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The article is certainly not overflowing with facts.

You can say that again. David Bess, the chief of law enforcement for the Department of Fish and Wildlife goes off on a rant that is pure nonsense.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good.

If you believe in what you are saying then I would think you would not sell it or hide it you would destroy it.

How are you on elephant wraps and elephant skin cue cases?

Do you own any leather? Do you know what animals it came from?

I am curious and my questions are sincere.

I have some cues with ivory. Most are antiques with ivory ferrule and/or joint but one modern custom in particular is kept in an elephant skin case. I am not planing to sell it, hide it, nor destroy it. I plan to keep it. That's why I got it...and the case specifically for that cue. I do have three other modern customs with ivory inlays as well.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The end of the article attempts to tie all Ivory sales to terrorism.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just another political witch hunt. Burn the witches, burn the ivory that will solve the perceived problem for sure!

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cracking down on ivory. Major gang problem, thousands dying from drug overdoses, good to see they have their priorities straight.