Matlock vs Keith

clint3612

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I woulda staked David in 1985, 1995, 2005, and even in 2015 against Keith. Playin bar table pool, big table, one pocket, banks. David was and is the better player between the two. Bar table and all-around.

Thunderball

Auto rep for belly laughs
Silver Member
I woulda staked David in 1985, 1995, 2005, and even in 2015 against Keith. Playin bar table pool, big table, one pocket, banks. David was and is the better player between the two. Bar table and all-around.

The rare one and a half year premature woof?

It's not everyday folks, take a picture.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member

You might have staked him in 85 and 95, but I believe you wouldn't have had the nuts...we'll never know though :smile:. Johnnyt

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member

You're entitled to your opinion. They're both great players and nice guys who could shoot you into a coma and have you laughing your ass off at the same time.

Sherm

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I have an old video of them playing for the hot seat of a tournament in the 80's. It was the Magnolia Classic in Hattiesburg, MS. Bar table...Dave won hill-hill. Fantastic match.

That would be fun to watch...would love to see it on youtube.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I don't believe that Keith Richards is a very good pool player.

Maybe he won't even be alive in 2015. He looks like hes living on borrowed time.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
David was one of the best barbox players. In the late 80's David told Archer he had the 7 ball if he would come to Oklahoma . Johnny was already winning tournaments everywhere and beating most gambling. This happened at a tournament in Aniston,AL where CJ beat David with Billy Johnson breaking for him. I also know Keith was a top barbox player with a very big heart. There would be no stealing going on when/if they played each other in their prime. I know David had a open invitation for anyone that wanted to play a 10,000 set at one time. I had heard that Keith was one of the few to play David even on a barbox. I once watched Paul Turner play perfect pool on a barbox all night before. I had a good seat on the receiving end of him putting 5's and 6's together. Eugene Browning once ran 9 on me in Birmingham... Allen Hopkins was the first person I had ever seen beat the ghost with no ball in hand on a barbox. I have watched Brian Ashley play perfect barbox pool all night. The point is, there were many top barbox players that were unbeatable at times.

pfduser

GRABBER GT
Silver Member
David was one of the best barbox players. In the late 80's David told Archer he had the 7 ball if he would come to Oklahoma . Johnny was already winning tournaments everywhere and beating most gambling. This happened at a tournament in Aniston,AL where CJ beat David with Billy Johnson breaking for him. I also know Keith was a top barbox player with a very big heart. There would be no stealing going on when/if they played each other in their prime. I know David had a open invitation for anyone that wanted to play a 10,000 set at one time. I had heard that Keith was one of the few to play David even on a barbox. I once watched Paul Turner play perfect pool on a barbox all night before. I had a good seat on the receiving end of him putting 5's and 6's together. Eugene Browning once ran 9 on me in Birmingham... Allen Hopkins was the first person I had ever seen beat the ghost with no ball in hand on a barbox. I have watched Brian Ashley play perfect barbox pool all night. The point is, there were many top barbox players that were unbeatable at times.

Speaking of Paul Turner, I once heard that Paul ran 20 plus racks of 9 ball on Don Ballard one night . He was defiantly a beast on a bar table!

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best players I watched play during the 70's and 80's on a barbox was,
Billy Johnson
Brian Ashley
Johnny Archer
Keith McCready
Buddy Hall
CJ Wiley
Paul Turner
Eugene Browning
Allen Hopkins
Scotty Townsend
Reid Pierce
David Matlock
Not in any special order, and I didn't play much up north or west of N.M.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I woulda had the Hungarian nuts and still do JohnnieT

IN this mtchup I doubt you would have the nts either way you would bet. It's one I would like to have seen though and may others.
I asked Joe Salazar about this ( apretty good bar rtable player in his day too) and he gave the edge to Keith and particulatly back with the big ball. Tow grat player but totlly differnet Beasts. Dvid understood the science of tha game as well as anyone ever has but Keith ould shoot their nuts off. I twould have been fun to see. Too bad it never happened!

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have mentioned many times that I would LOVE to see Keith McCready and Dave Matlock on TAR.

While I didn't get a direct answer, but comments that they didn't think it would be a big enough draw that would make financial sense.

IMO, Keith McCready is the biggest potential draw for any match.

This Keith vs Dave barbox controversy has been brought up many times.

I don't know if Keith or Dave would be interested as they are both well past their primes, and it has been said by JAM that they are friends.

I know if it would happen I would purchase it.

Ken