Brunswick Gold Crown II Vs. Diamond

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
Not nearly as deep as a Diamond. I didn't measure, which I should have, but I would say at most it is 3/4th's as deep and maybe a little less than that.

My Diamond corner pockets are noticeably deeper to everyone that plays on it.

A couple of other things I forgot to include in my last reply:

1. I purchased the Olhausen in 1998 so that may make a difference; perhaps they have changed how deep their shelfs are.

2. The table I had was not a "commercial" table, it was a table made for home use. However, it was a 9 foot table.

The specs for my table may have been different than the commercial specs and they may have changed their specs over the years.

Just wanted to add some additional context.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Not nearly as deep as a Diamond. I didn't measure, which I should have, but I would say at most it is 3/4th's as deep and maybe a little less than that.

I'd be surprised, I think they are very close. Put a ball against the facing as far in the pocket as it will sit without falling. Now look down that rail (the one the ball is touching) from near the side pocket and see how much of the ball is extending past the point into the playing surface. If it's half or less (meaning 1/2 or more of the ball is in the pocket) then it is close to a Diamond.

I believe Diamond's standard is 40% of the ball to extend past the point into the playing surface (60% within the pocket).

Edit: Saw your 2nd post after I made this response. Perhaps the home tables are not as deep. Give the test a try though.

Last edited:

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GC vs Diamond?? For me I would have to go with the GC. i love that classic look. Ive played on the pro ams pleanty of times, and there is no denying that its a good table. But id still go for the GC. If you really wanted the best of both worlds, you could just "diamondize" your pockets.

How do you fix the slate, when you Diamonize the pockets. LOL

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Olhausens can real play tough, the Olhausen rattle is not a fairy tale.

Love my Anniversary.

I'm a newbie. I learned to play in a room of 5 Olhausens.

That was 2-3 years ag.. I've played on other stuff, and I've talked with other people. The Olhausens at the club I belong to play very tough, and the shelf is quite deep. A much-more-knowledgeable player than I told me that the Olhausens at our club are typical, and that it is the cut, not the width, that makes the difference. (Ours seem to be tighter than any other room around, two balls can be wedged in the corners easily.)

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wonder if a Diamond will look like this after 50 years of play. Maybe.
All I know is nothing has played better than the GCI and Anniversary that Ernesto and Oscar set up for me.
wholegcnice.jpg

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Yes, who knows. One thing that I do know is you have a great table there.

There is nothing like the classic lines of a GC..... IMHO

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
How do you fix the slate, when you Diamonize the pockets. LOL

I saw your earlier comment in the thread about this and did not respond.

Now, I have to ask you. Are you saying that the old Gold Crowns are generally not good tables to consider buying because the slate near the cushions have "gulleys" worn into them due to balls that have been rolling there over the years? :confused:

best,
brian kc

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I know is nothing has played better than the GCI and Anniversary that Ernesto and Oscar set up for me.
wholegcnice.jpg

Beautiful table... That is what all the tables in my local poolroom look like. I guess I might be spoiled because they keep on top of cleaning the balls and maintaining the felt every night along with changing the cloth every year but I just love them.

Even with that in mind I will probably go with a Diamond just so I can get more experience on them. I have a TON of time put in on the GC I and II but hardly any on Diamonds so in order to better understand them in a tournament environment I will probably go with the Diamond.

As for the Olhausen comments- Now that everyone mentions it I do remember playing on a few and them spitting out shots I would generally make on GCs. I also remember having to change my shots so that I hit the middle of the pocket instead of the sides which meant I had to change the spin on the cueball instead of just the aiming point.

I will not be getting an Olhausen and will probably get a Diamond unless a good used GC I or II comes up for sale near me.

Thanks for the replies everyone:)

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
wholegcnice.jpg

Nice table - it reminds me of my grandfather (this is gentle, good natured ribbing, fyi).

Seriously though, try this experiment on your GC: take a pool ball, hold it approximately 4.5 feet directly above your rail and then and then drop it. Those laminate GC rails can't take too much of that, I can assure you. My Diamond Pro table's dymondwood rails can though. I have a friend who is ultra meticulous about his stuff, especially his pool table. I performed this trick in my basement and he was amazed - no damage or effect whatsoever!

As an aside, this is a guy who has been around pool for 40 years and owned a gold crown. That is until he played on a Diamond. He bought a 9' Diamond pro about 10 years ago and has loved it ever since.

As another aside, the main thing is that you get a table - any table is better than no table, imo. Gotta feed the habit!

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
what the heck - here's another tangerine gold crown 1 to show off.

I feel like I got the best of both worlds as I was able to have the old school look of the gc, which I really like, with the playability of a diamond since having her 'cobrasized" by RKC.

I will agree with jalapus, though, in that those dymondwood diamonds are bad asses, too. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc <--- happy as a clam

Attachments

• tv-new-shelf.jpg
    tv-new-shelf.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 2,947
Last edited:

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
what the heck - here's another tangerine gold crown 1 to show off.

I feel like I got the best of both worlds as I was able to have the old school look of the gc, which I really like, with the playability of a diamond since having her 'cobrasized" by real king cobra.

I will agree with jalapus, also, in that those dymondwood diamonds are bad asses, as well. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc <--- happy as a clam

I notice that you have the Delta Elite, but no leather inserts. I've got the red one with python inserts. It's gaudy as hell - I love it! Also dampens the noise WAY down - sounds like a plastic or wood rack with the inserts.

Man, your table would look great in my purple basement w/ my vintage 50's and early 60's kitch that I've been accumulating.

Cheers mate!

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I notice that you have the Delta Elite, but no leather inserts. I've got the red one with python inserts. It's gaudy as hell - I love it! Also dampens the noise WAY down - sounds like a plastic or wood rack with the inserts.

Man, your table would look great in my purple basement w/ my vintage 50's and early 60's kitch that I've been accumulating.

Cheers mate!

purple room w/50's - 60's theme? pictures please!

maybe take my "atomic clock" while you're at it. ;)

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• club-chair-to-bar.jpg
    club-chair-to-bar.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,068

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let the good times roll

Yep I had an Olhausen for a couple of years it was very frustrating. You would be running a table and hit a ball good and get the Olhausen ''death rattle'' I got to hating that table. I sure hope your guy is wrong about Diamond tables cause I got one coming:thumbup:
Don't worry you will be thrilled and your game will improve. Why? because you will like playing on the table so much you will lose track of time, the more you play the better you will get.Good luck with your new table.

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't care for either table..I like the anniverary table,or Gibson.
I can play on diamond tables..I just don't think their the
end all table..to each their own..

realkingcobra

Silver Member
wholegcnice.jpg

No, actually it won't because it'll still look just like the day it was first purchased after you buff out the rails to look just like brand new, can't do that with a Brunswick:D

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every table plays differently. My view is the set up is key. You can take a perfect table, get a hack to set it up wrong, and it will play like crap. I would love to have either diamond or gc, though if it were a diamond, it would be a proam. We have some older diamond pros in my hall, and they bank much shorter, especially if stuck hard or firm, that the proams or gc.

I will be looking for a used/preowned 9 footer soon and it will come down to price point of gc VS diamond. In my view they are both good tables, the main thing is they must be set up properly by a good mechanic.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They have the same shelf. I did measure. Both use Leani slate too.

I hope that by "Diamonizing" people mean copying the 4 1/2" pockets because the Diamond 4 3/4" pockets spit balls out as just like the Olhausen. I believe that the standard pocket from Diamond plays tougher than the 4 1/2 pocket from Diamond.

If I ran a tournament and I could use any table, I would use the Diamond Pro-Am. The easier setup makes all the difference in consistency from table to table.

I prefer the way Brunswick GC's play and therefore it would be my choice.

If I didn't care about how the table played compared to the pool hall, and I was purchasing a furniture style table, I would go with Olhausen for styling, build quality, fit and finish and it's American made. Diamond would be a close second.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
I prefer older gcs over diamonds but both are excellent tables. I rarely play on olhausens. The main drawback I see to them is that they are rarely played on for tournaments. It would have to be that rare pool room that chose olhausens as their commercial table is running an event, because you will never see them used in a tournament setup. Why get a home table that you will play alot on and then have to fade consistently different conditions when you go out to compete?

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel the same way Dave. It was extremely hard to go from a slow playing table like the Olhausen to a fast short banker like the Diamond. I felt like I had to constantly hold my stroke back.

That's why I had Mark Gregory install Artemis cushions with Simonis HR and 4 1/8" Pockets on my Centennial. Now, every other table feels slow and easy.

TourTom

Registered
I want my Brunswick Gold Crown I DIAMONDIZED. I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Who should I call and what is the phone number?