WE LIVE ON A PLANET: YES, this is pool related

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
As many of you guys (and gals) know, there are a few pool players who seem to be absolutely convinced that we live on a FLAT EARTH.

The basics of the flat earth argument are:

NASA is a facade, outer space isn't real, we live under a glass dome called The Firmament, Antarctica is the edge of the world with huge ice walls that prevent passage (and also a no-go zone, where the government prevents you from getting near it). The sun and moon orbit the top of the flat earth disc, under the firmament however.

Some of you probably know who the pro pool players are. By the way, I love these guys - I'm not in any way knocking these guys --- they're GREAT people. I know they're angry with me because I happen to be a science guy and I can't take hearing the nonsense.

Because of the fact we're all being called sheeple, brainwashed, ignorant, etc, for believing we live on a planet, in good pool-playing spirit, I created the following GoFundMe page:

https://www.gofundme.com/Weliveonap...2876_v1&rcid=d634ea6afda6475b85cb727b68226b48

I'd like to create a fund that will act as a corporation bet, as many of you know what that is. I'd like to hand over this GoFundMe to either Dr. Dave, Bob Jewett or Mike Page to manage, as everyone respects their integrity. I wouldn't want anyone to even THINK I would run off with someone's bets --- so let's pick a champion science guy.

The bet is>>>> Let's setup a high-powered laser at the edge of a very large lake, maybe 2ft above the ground and mounted PERFECTLY level. We'll go out 1/2 mile, 1 mile, 2 miles and 3 miles (if possible) on a boat and measure the height of the beam over the level of the water. IF the earth is flat, the laser will be at 2ft at all measure marks. IF we live on a planet, the laser will be higher and higher over the water line. SIMPLE BET.

Many of you are reading this thinking: NO EFFING WAY THIS CAN BE A REAL THING.... SPIDEY IS TROLLING US

You better Google this phenomenon. There is a huge and quickly growing legion of people who are starting to believe the earth is flat and it's a government conspiracy.

ONE THIRD OF MILLENNIALS NOW BELIEVE THE EARTH IS FLAT (THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MOMENT --- LET THAT SINK IN):
https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevor...ials-believe-the-earth-is-round/#bd924e7ec66c

I believe the flat earth nonsense originated from creationists who refer to somewhere in the Bible where it states the earth is flat and there is a firmament (allegedly, I never read it).

So, after almost 2 years of being called an idiot for believing we live on a planet, I've finally had enough and setup this GoFundMe. Let's setup a parameter where if no bet is made or setup with X amount of time, the fund is disbanded and money returned, etc. Every time one of these pool pros (you know who they are) says something, let's ask them to bet something. Ya know, bet your conviction. They keep saying the ocean is flat so the world is flat and if the water bodies are flat, the laser will be 2ft above the water level indefinitely.

The only OPEX for this is a boat rental. I own a super high powered laser that will shoot out forever. Mayyyyyybe the flat earth community (there is a HUGE one) will setup their own GoFundMe and we can make a sizeable bet. If this ever gets out of hand and we raise millions and they raise millions, we could always buy a SpaceX ticket and run a lottery to determine who takes the ride.

Enough is enough.... we live on a planet people. If we take a SpaceX flight and the space ship hits a glass roof at the top of the world, TAKE MY MONEY and I'd even let you #*@$&(*@ my sister. In order for these flat earthers to be right Albert effing Einstein has to be wrong, Copernicus has to be wrong and every other GENIUS of humankind has to be wrong.

Glad to be back :thumbup:
Dave

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As many of you guys (and gals) know, there are a few pool players who seem to be absolutely convinced that we live on a FLAT EARTH.

The basics of the flat earth argument are:

NASA is a facade, outer space isn't real, we live under a glass dome called The Firmament, Antarctica is the edge of the world with huge ice walls that prevent passage (and also a no-go zone, where the government prevents you from getting near it). The sun and moon orbit the top of the flat earth disc, under the firmament however.

Some of you probably know who the pro pool players are. By the way, I love these guys - I'm not in any way knocking these guys --- they're GREAT people. I know they're angry with me because I happen to be a science guy and I can't take hearing the nonsense.

Because of the fact we're all being called sheeple, brainwashed, ignorant, etc, for believing we live on a planet, in good pool-playing spirit, I created the following GoFundMe page:

https://www.gofundme.com/Weliveonap...2876_v1&rcid=d634ea6afda6475b85cb727b68226b48

I'd like to create a fund that will act as a corporation bet, as many of you know what that is. I'd like to hand over this GoFundMe to either Dr. Dave, Bob Jewett or Mike Page to manage, as everyone respects their integrity. I wouldn't want anyone to even THINK I would run off with someone's bets --- so let's pick a champion science guy.

The bet is>>>> Let's setup a high-powered laser at the edge of a very large lake, maybe 2ft above the ground and mounted PERFECTLY level. We'll go out 1/2 mile, 1 mile, 2 miles and 3 miles (if possible) on a boat and measure the height of the beam over the level of the water. IF the earth is flat, the laser will be at 2ft at all measure marks. IF we live on a planet, the laser will be higher and higher over the water line. SIMPLE BET.

Many of you are reading this thinking: NO EFFING WAY THIS CAN BE A REAL THING.... SPIDEY IS TROLLING US

You better Google this phenomenon. There is a huge and quickly growing legion of people who are starting to believe the earth is flat and it's a government conspiracy.

ONE THIRD OF MILLENNIALS NOW BELIEVE THE EARTH IS FLAT (THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MOMENT --- LET THAT SINK IN):
https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevor...ials-believe-the-earth-is-round/#bd924e7ec66c

I believe the flat earth nonsense originated from creationists who refer to somewhere in the Bible where it states the earth is flat and there is a firmament (allegedly, I never read it).

So, after almost 2 years of being called an idiot for believing we live on a planet, I've finally had enough and setup this GoFundMe. Let's setup a parameter where if no bet is made or setup with X amount of time, the fund is disbanded and money returned, etc. Every time one of these pool pros (you know who they are) says something, let's ask them to bet something. Ya know, bet your conviction. They keep saying the ocean is flat so the world is flat and if the water bodies are flat, the laser will be 2ft above the water level indefinitely.

The only OPEX for this is a boat rental. I own a super high powered laser that will shoot out forever. Mayyyyyybe the flat earth community (there is a HUGE one) will setup their own GoFundMe and we can make a sizeable bet. If this ever gets out of hand and we raise millions and they raise millions, we could always buy a SpaceX ticket and run a lottery to determine who takes the ride.

Enough is enough.... we live on a planet people. If we take a SpaceX flight and the space ship hits a glass roof at the top of the world, TAKE MY MONEY and I'd even let you #*@$&(*@ my sister. In order for these flat earthers to be right Albert effing Einstein has to be wrong, Copernicus has to be wrong and every other GENIUS of humankind has to be wrong.

Glad to be back :thumbup:
Dave
Niiiiice. Reminds me of the OLD joke: Scientist- " Pie r squared" Rube-" No, pie r ROUND". Flat-earthers are so off-the-air that they're actually entertaining.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My theory is that flat earthers are messing with you. If true, I think they’re winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is awesome. Completely enjoyed reading it.

But...how do the flat heads explain the stars in the sky and the fact that constellations appear in different places, depending on the day?

Surely an astronomer or astro-geek could show with relative ease how the stars' patterns illustrate the earth is NOT flat?

And how do the flat heDs know your laser isnt a diversionary tool invented by NASA? :rolleyes:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don’t think it can be resolved because the flat heads won’t be satisfied with a sane
solution.
...and don’t think they are dumb....they have clever arguments.
I think many have taken ‘tongue-in-cheek’ to an extreme....
...and some are just batshit crazy.

Max Eberle is an AZ member...I asked him what he would say to Buzz Aldrin if they met...
......no response....but I’m assuming that he never read my request.

D3246CC7-6D43-4CC4-8F3B-8754FE34C8DF.jpeg

Buzz is 88 now....and still one of my heroes.

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
This exact test has been done several times during the past few years.

I'm not really a flat-earther , just got bored one night and watched a bunch of YouTube videos on this subject.

Your lake test will be inconclusive, due to different altitudes from the edge to the middle of the lake. Plus 1-mile is only 8" of curvature, and local terrain varies more than that.

FYI, the last real test was done at SEA LEVEL, for both the laser site and the target.

Target was EIGHT MILES away and there was NO curvature. This was done across Monterey Bay Calif and the laser hit the target at the exact same altitude as the laser itself, approx 60" above true 0/sea level.

This can not happen on a sphere 24,000 miles in circumference!

So rather than waste money repeating the same test, go research this. You'll be surprised.

Darn bugs in the Matrix....

-von

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sorry, but this is not pool related. Some pool players believe in Scientology, but that doesn't make Scientology pool related. If you persist in such logic, you should pardon those who believe the earth is flat.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Monterey Bay Calif and the laser hit the target at the exact same altitude as the laser itself, approx 60" above true 0/sea level.

This can not happen on a sphere 24,000 miles in circumference!

Actually, I would guess the test failed for the same reason mirages are seen, depending on the time of day and a bunch of other things. With an air temperature profile that is cooler towards the ground, light will be bent around the Earth. That temperature gradient probably disappears when you go up 30 feet. That requires a tower at the midpoint

I wonder how the FE prople explain the fact that Moscow and California are about 12 hours apart for local noon but the Sun is not visible in one place when the other is having noon. On a flat Earth, the Sun is visible from all locations when it is "up".

There is also the problem that all celestial objects must be at an altitude of 4000 miles -- the Sun, the Moon and all the stars. That's easy to show with triangulation if you assume the Earth is flat. That makes the Sun 40 miles across. The Moon is also 40 miles across.

Triangulation becomes a big problem if you look at the direction of the Sun at sunset from two locations due north/south of each other. That measurement says that the Sun is in the same direction very nearly relative to the line joining the two sites.

And then there are all the problems related to satellites. I wonder how the FE fools explain GPS. Since I worked on a satellite-based program in the Air Force, I suppose Max thinks I'm part of the vast conspiracy and a liar and a deceiver.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a relative who rode the NASA wave ~1965- 85... brought it up once and spit flew.

He mathed to figure programming for floating things.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Actually, I would guess the test failed for the same reason mirages are seen, depending on the time of day and a bunch of other things. With an air temperature profile that is cooler towards the ground, light will be bent around the Earth. That temperature gradient probably disappears when you go up 30 feet. That requires a tower at the midpoint

I wonder how the FE prople explain the fact that Moscow and California are about 12 hours apart for local noon but the Sun is not visible in one place when the other is having noon. On a flat Earth, the Sun is visible from all locations when it is "up".

There is also the problem that all celestial objects must be at an altitude of 4000 miles -- the Sun, the Moon and all the stars. That's easy to show with triangulation if you assume the Earth is flat. That makes the Sun 40 miles across. The Moon is also 40 miles across.

Triangulation becomes a big problem if you look at the direction of the Sun at sunset from two locations due north/south of each other. That measurement says that the Sun is in the same direction very nearly relative to the line joining the two sites.

And then there are all the problems related to satellites. I wonder how the FE fools explain GPS. Since I worked on a satellite-based program in the Air Force, I suppose Max thinks I'm part of the vast conspiracy and a liar and a deceiver.
I never get past "How could this be a secret?" to ask any of those other sensible questions.

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
spidey
i havent read the replies to your thread
welcome back from banned hood.........:)
nice to see you decided to come back low key and non controversial...:grin:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Don't make it so complicated.
I was in Aruba in June. 8:00 pm dark out.
Checked the house camera back home in DE bright and sunny.
That silly curve and tilt is so cool.:D
Max had a picture on his FB of light coming through the window and creating shadows on his table from the pool balls. It was summertime in the picture.
I asked him to take the same picture in January when the shadows are much longer!
Simple.
Lol Flat earther's are a crazy bunch.