COLE DICKSON - My friend for eternity

Jimmy Reid

US Open 9 Ball Champion
COLE DICKSON; NOVEMBER 20, 1950 – MAY 15, 2013

Cole Dickson, born November 20, 1950 passed over in the wee hours of May 15, 2013 at the all too young age of 62.

Cole was one of my all time favorite people and true friends. Cole had the greatest aura and the coolest energy that ever walked into any room. Cole made Elvis look square.

Cole was never happier than the weeks preceding his demise. I know this for a fact because he told me so while riding around with his grandchildren one afternoon Cole called me from the car laughing about how wonderful his daughters and grandkids were, he had one of them on his lap and was having a ball. I was very happy for him.

On another occasion he went on to tell me how his daughters were smothering him with love. He said Jimmy I feel like the luckiest man alive. I know I don't deserve all this love and attention there giving me but I'll take it. Then he proceeded to laugh some more.

We'd been talking with each other sporadically over the last few months. After I heard he had some liver problems that weren’t going to go away very easily, I got Cole's phone number from one of our friends and called immediately.

Cole and I had been friends since 1968 and I can promise you this he would've won world titles and a lot more notoriety in pocket billiards had there been more prize money and tournaments.

Cole had called me in 2006 after I had been diagnosed with fourth stage cancer in two different areas of my body. He asked if I wanted any company and being the proud jerk that I've always been, naturally I refused.

In 2011 both of us being diagnosed with incurable liver disease was a heck of a coincidence. Cole and I love to laugh and kidded about how we earned our stripes.

Making no excuses for the excesses we put our bodies through we laughed and said this chemo and these Ribivirin pills are tougher than following Ronnie Allen playing liability.

But our daughters and loved ones have showered us with so much love it made us feel like we were a much less famous or wealthy version of Mickey Mantle (Cole), Ronnie Allen, the older Babe Ruth. Just think, I’m the leader of this bunch a Beat-nik before they had hippies.

Danny Diliberto thought I was the devil, smoking pot in the early 60’s. LOL, as the world turns. Cole and I both had really long hair.

We certainly lived the high life and in the end we really have no regrets. All because of our kids, no regrets and wouldn’t have changed anything because of them.

Whenever I would get depressed in life, I’ve been fortunate enough to have some great moments of insane laughter that I freeze framed in my memory bank just because I knew there would be moments in my future that I would be miserable.

Some of them were moments of uncontrollable laughter where we would stop just long enough to breathe. Having them with my father and stepfather doesn’t tell you anything because you didn’t know them.

It was 1974 I think. The weatherman predicted the worst ice storm in Detroit's history. Randy Epperson and I were sharing a Motel room, that claimed to have a back up generator, sharing it till the storm passed, just that coming bad weather day. The power went off and it looked like there was a chance we might freeze to death because the generator wouldn't start either. Power lines were down and the poles were brittle and breaking way too often and easy. It was 10 below 0 and windy, wind chill factor of about 30-40 below.

We got out of the Motel, my car wouldn’t start and we started walking and eventually survived getting a ride from an emergency vehicle to the pool room (The Rack). The power was on there and it was nice and warm. Gil owner/manager left his home a mile away because of no power. What a great roll that was.

When the car didn’t start and we started to walk I started laughing, my lips were cracking and bloody. Randy thought I was nuts but it would’ve been worse if I tried to explain it. If it was my turn to go, I was going out laughing. I thought about Norman (the jockey) Howard and Cole and rolling around on jockey's floor laughing till we couldn't breathe.
To this day Randy Epperson probably thinks I'm crazy, I never did explain to him why I was laughing but he did laugh a little at me when we were walking. Declaring me crazy.

Offhand I can remember having other laughing jags similar to Cole. Jimmy Mataya has filled many sad times in my mind with joy. Moments like that with Harley Bryant, Cornbread Red, Grady Matthews, Ed Burton, Bob Ogburn, Steve Carter, Tony Rila, TR McIntosh, Ronnie Allen, Keith McCready who used to have them all the time with everybody. Keith and Charlie Brinson stay depressed for about a minute then they find something else to laugh about.

Here’s what happened to Cole Dickson and I;
It was 1970 and Popcorn (John Miller), Alibi Al, Joel Marx, Joe Visi, Buttermilk, Eddie Burton, Wade Crane, Don Watson and Boston Shorty were all sharing one apartment in ElMonte, CA.

Next door Norman (the jockey) Howard, John (cagey) Calhoun and the jockey’s young wife Phyllis had another apartment.

Popcorn called Vern Peterson’s pool room in Bellflower CA to see if anyone was there. Cole, David Sisemore, Bob Ogburn, Steve Carter and I were there but there weren’t any backers there yet. We were waiting for a couple of other players and backers to arrive and maybe get a ring pay ball game started or if Artesian Kenny showed the Baker Bros. would be with him and they would all play liability on the 6 X 12. Kenny called just before popcorn (John Miller), it was the middle of the day and he would be there in a few hours.

Having busted the ring game the previous weekend and since I was the only one there besides Sisemore to have a bankroll Popcorn asked to speak to me, they had gotten the eviction notice already and had a couple of hours to come up with the money for both apartments. The Sheriff was on his way.

We knew that jockey’s wife had given birth to a little girl a few months earlier and letting all those other pool players get evicted – fageddabouddit. So Cole and I took a ride. I handed Popcorn 2 month’s rent then we went next door.

After giving Jockey 2 month’s rent (Calhoun and jockey’s wife weren’t there), Cole and I walked over to see his little girl, she was beautiful and we told him so.
Cole picked her up and laughed at her, she was smiling. Then Cole noticed she had a web between the second and third toe on her right foot. It was just a web between 2 toes, no problem.
Then I took my turn and played with her awhile, she was so beautiful and giggled easy, she was a very happy, beautiful baby.

Jockey looked at us after we put her back in bed and said “you know it’s the funniest thing, Calhoun has a web just like that between those same 2 toes. What a coincidence huh Reid?”

Then jockey looked at me with those huge child like eyes of his and said “you don’t think Calhoun and Phyllis fooled around do you Reid?” His eyes getting bigger and glassier by the second.

Cole and I looked at each other and here it came, the gates opened, we laughed until we couldn’t breathe, rolling around on the floor, we'd stop for a second then start again. Everybody came over from popcorn's and already knew what we were laughing about. Corn came in saying "what's the odds, hey (Canadian hey) Reid?" Then everybody started laughing, including "The Jockey".

Well that lasted everytime there was a lull in the action for the next month, all we had to do was look at each other or the jockey. It lasted for 42 years now with me.

During a ring game in 1977 at Joe Burns room in Dayton Ohio. Jimmy Mataya and I had probably the all time greatest laughing jag ever. We had gotten into a $10 ring ten ball game that they wanted to bar us from. It all started when I missed an easy shot and Mataya said "bar him?' and laughed a little. Then he had like 3 balls hanging and missed so I said "no let's bar you" and laughed a little.

This particular laughing jag has lasted me for 35 years or so now and I can still see him clearly on the opposite side of the pool table, both of us on the floor looking at each other and doing some side splitting laughing while the other players were asking us to get up and shoot. Every time either one of us was at the table, the other would start laughing and we both got so weak it was impossible for us to make a ball.

Neither one of us strong enough to get up and play and when we did take our turns, neither one of us could make a ball. Then it would start all over again, it took about an hour to play 4 games of ring 10 ball. Steve Oaks won all the money, they changed the order and he either followed Mataya or me and you couldn't fix them where either one of us could run 3 balls.

Then we played another hour or so but Mataya or I never won a game. I asked him to shoot for me once and they allowed it, he followed me so he just rolled the cue ball up a couple of feet to where all he had to do was shoot and stop to run 4 balls and win. Oaks followed Mataya and Jimmy missed an extremely easy 9 ball with the 10 ball hanging. Then we started for another ten minutes. Everything, on the floor and all.

All of you pool players need to savor memories like those when they happen. They can bring you through the toughest of times when your depressed. Laughing will cure what ails ya.

Years later Cole squatted down and came up to my chest and looking up with the biggest he could make his eyes and said “you don’t think Calhoun and Phyllis fooled around, do you Reid?”
Then Cole laughed extra hard and had to tell somebody about what happened. How serious Jockey was wanting someone to tell him it was probably just a coincidence. LOAO.

Thank you Cole Dickson and Jimmy Mataya. You guys and those memories have been the best therapy in the world for my depression. With memories like those there's no hill too high.

Later, I’ll tell you about two religious happenings that occurred in my life, I told Cole and he said “man Jimmy I know you wouldn’t lie to me and I sure hope you’re right”
I know I'm right and anyone that wants to prove it just call me for the facts!

The first was a supernatural occurrence with witnesses. The second was an absolute miracle that I knew was going to happen and it too is a matter of record. Both are 100% provable.

If any of you want to hear about this direct call me at 772-370-0311
Mataya, Diliberto, Ed Kelly please call. Kenny owner of the pool room in Vegas, please call.
Eternity is in this Universe and good energy burns bright forever.

God Bless And Keep Cole Dickson. Love you man, life and a day.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I loved the cool pool read. You must post more often, Jimmy. That was GREAT! :smiling-heart:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello Jimmy, thanks for the great post! It's true, you always had a smile (actually a shit-eating grin) on your face! :D

Last edited:

Arlene

Registered
Great stories! You always have some pretty good ones, that's for sure. Laughter is really the best medicine!
God Bless Cole and God bless you too, Jimmy Reid.
Arlene

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member

All of you pool players need to savor memories like those when they happen. They can bring you through the toughest of times when your depressed. Laughing will cure what ails ya.

Wisdom from one who knows. Thanks Jimmy, for the good advice and the warming memories it brought back.

Norm Lemieux, Ed, Garten, John Benson...I never laughed harder. I won't forget

Joe Pickens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great stories, Jimmy. If you haven't done so already you need to get this and other stories down in a book. I will even volunteer JAM to do the typing for you. :)

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a great post Sir; hope the best too you --thanks for bringing back some names of freinds I hadn't thought of in a while...

fasteddief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Laughing is the best therapy,thanks for telling wonderful stories.I remember having laughing fits with some of my closest friends.One of my closest friends would make me laugh so hard my sides would bust.Great memories,Thanks Again FastEddieF.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Great stories....I was hoping it would never end....Could of read on and on for another hour...Thanks Jimmy...Let's have some more...Very interesting...God Bless you...

ChazL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A touching remembrance of Cole and some really great stories, Jimmy. Hope that you're feeling well. Please post more if you are up to it-- we'd love to get your reminiscences of some other great players!

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Very nicely done, sir.

I agree with the others, share some more with us please

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Some people call what Cole experienced in his last days, "enlightenment". May we all become more enlightened about what is important in our lives.

Jimmy, thank you for helping to illuminate our own lives with your stories and your love.

JoeyA

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
True friendships, like the one you had with Mr. Dickson, are relatively few in number in any one persons life and are a precious gift. Even though you may not see these friends for long periods of time, you are comforted in knowing that they are here in the world, and with you. When one of them departs this life, however, a void is created. A space where they once were is no longer there and dealing with their leaving is very difficult.
Be strong and keep their memorie alive. Envision a smile, a laugh, or a pleasant scene that will bring them back when ever you need, or want them to be there.
Then, one day, when the great mystery has been solved, it will all be as it was before.
You're a good guy Jimmy. :smile:

Last edited:

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cole Dickson, born November 20, 1950 passed over in the wee hours of May 15, 2013 at the all too young age of 62.

Cole was one of my all time favorite people and true friends. Cole had the greatest aura and the coolest energy that ever walked into any room. Cole made Elvis look square.

Cole was never happier than the weeks preceding his demise. I know this for a fact because he told me so while riding around with his grandchildren one afternoon Cole called me from the car laughing about how wonderful his daughters and grandkids were, he had one of them on his lap and was having a ball. I was very happy for him.

On another occasion he went on to tell me how his daughters were smothering him with love. He said Jimmy I feel like the luckiest man alive. I know I don't deserve all this love and attention there giving me but I'll take it. Then he proceeded to laugh some more.

We'd been talking with each other sporadically over the last few months. After I heard he had some liver problems that weren’t going to go away very easily, I got Cole's phone number from one of our friends and called immediately.

Cole and I had been friends since 1968 and I can promise you this he would've won world titles and a lot more notoriety in pocket billiards had there been more prize money and tournaments.

Cole had called me in 2006 after I had been diagnosed with fourth stage cancer in two different areas of my body. He asked if I wanted any company and being the proud jerk that I've always been, naturally I refused.

In 2011 both of us being diagnosed with incurable liver disease was a heck of a coincidence. Cole and I love to laugh and kidded about how we earned our stripes.

Making no excuses for the excesses we put our bodies through we laughed and said this chemo and these Ribivirin pills are tougher than following Ronnie Allen playing liability.

But our daughters and loved ones have showered us with so much love it made us feel like we were a much less famous or wealthy version of Mickey Mantle (Cole), Ronnie Allen, the older Babe Ruth. Just think, I’m the leader of this bunch a Beat-nik before they had hippies.

Danny Diliberto thought I was the devil, smoking pot in the early 60’s. LOL, as the world turns. Cole and I both had really long hair.

We certainly lived the high life and in the end we really have no regrets. All because of our kids, no regrets and wouldn’t have changed anything because of them.

Whenever I would get depressed in life, I’ve been fortunate enough to have some great moments of insane laughter that I freeze framed in my memory bank just because I knew there would be moments in my future that I would be miserable.

Some of them were moments of uncontrollable laughter where we would stop just long enough to breathe. Having them with my father and stepfather doesn’t tell you anything because you didn’t know them.

It was 1974 I think. The weatherman predicted the worst ice storm in Detroit's history. Randy Epperson and I were sharing a Motel room, that claimed to have a back up generator, sharing it till the storm passed, just that coming bad weather day. The power went off and it looked like there was a chance we might freeze to death because the generator wouldn't start either. Power lines were down and the poles were brittle and breaking way too often and easy. It was 10 below 0 and windy, wind chill factor of about 30-40 below.

We got out of the Motel, my car wouldn’t start and we started walking and eventually survived getting a ride from an emergency vehicle to the pool room (The Rack). The power was on there and it was nice and warm. Gil owner/manager left his home a mile away because of no power. What a great roll that was.

When the car didn’t start and we started to walk I started laughing, my lips were cracking and bloody. Randy thought I was nuts but it would’ve been worse if I tried to explain it. If it was my turn to go, I was going out laughing. I thought about Norman (the jockey) Howard and Cole and rolling around on jockey's floor laughing till we couldn't breathe.
To this day Randy Epperson probably thinks I'm crazy, I never did explain to him why I was laughing but he did laugh a little at me when we were walking. Declaring me crazy.

Offhand I can remember having other laughing jags similar to Cole. Jimmy Mataya has filled many sad times in my mind with joy. Moments like that with Harley Bryant, Cornbread Red, Grady Matthews, Ed Burton, Bob Ogburn, Steve Carter, Tony Rila, TR McIntosh, Ronnie Allen, Keith McCready who used to have them all the time with everybody. Keith and Charlie Brinson stay depressed for about a minute then they find something else to laugh about.

Here’s what happened to Cole Dickson and I;
It was 1970 and Popcorn (John Miller), Alibi Al, Joel Marx, Joe Visi, Buttermilk, Eddie Burton, Wade Crane, Don Watson and Boston Shorty were all sharing one apartment in ElMonte, CA.

Next door Norman (the jockey) Howard, John (cagey) Calhoun and the jockey’s young wife Phyllis had another apartment.

Popcorn called Vern Peterson’s pool room in Bellflower CA to see if anyone was there. Cole, David Sisemore, Bob Ogburn, Steve Carter and I were there but there weren’t any backers there yet. We were waiting for a couple of other players and backers to arrive and maybe get a ring pay ball game started or if Artesian Kenny showed the Baker Bros. would be with him and they would all play liability on the 6 X 12. Kenny called just before popcorn (John Miller), it was the middle of the day and he would be there in a few hours.

Having busted the ring game the previous weekend and since I was the only one there besides Sisemore to have a bankroll Popcorn asked to speak to me, they had gotten the eviction notice already and had a couple of hours to come up with the money for both apartments. The Sheriff was on his way.

We knew that jockey’s wife had given birth to a little girl a few months earlier and letting all those other pool players get evicted – fageddabouddit. So Cole and I took a ride. I handed Popcorn 2 month’s rent then we went next door.

After giving Jockey 2 month’s rent (Calhoun and jockey’s wife weren’t there), Cole and I walked over to see his little girl, she was beautiful and we told him so.
Cole picked her up and laughed at her, she was smiling. Then Cole noticed she had a web between the second and third toe on her right foot. It was just a web between 2 toes, no problem.
Then I took my turn and played with her awhile, she was so beautiful and giggled easy, she was a very happy, beautiful baby.

Jockey looked at us after we put her back in bed and said “you know it’s the funniest thing, Calhoun has a web just like that between those same 2 toes. What a coincidence huh Reid?”

Then jockey looked at me with those huge child like eyes of his and said “you don’t think Calhoun and Phyllis fooled around do you Reid?” His eyes getting bigger and glassier by the second.

Cole and I looked at each other and here it came, the gates opened, we laughed until we couldn’t breathe, rolling around on the floor, we'd stop for a second then start again. Everybody came over from popcorn's and already knew what we were laughing about. Corn came in saying "what's the odds, hey (Canadian hey) Reid?" Then everybody started laughing, including "The Jockey".

Well that lasted everytime there was a lull in the action for the next month, all we had to do was look at each other or the jockey. It lasted for 42 years now with me.

During a ring game in 1977 at Joe Burns room in Dayton Ohio. Jimmy Mataya and I had probably the all time greatest laughing jag ever. We had gotten into a $10 ring ten ball game that they wanted to bar us from. It all started when I missed an easy shot and Mataya said "bar him?' and laughed a little. Then he had like 3 balls hanging and missed so I said "no let's bar you" and laughed a little.

This particular laughing jag has lasted me for 35 years or so now and I can still see him clearly on the opposite side of the pool table, both of us on the floor looking at each other and doing some side splitting laughing while the other players were asking us to get up and shoot. Every time either one of us was at the table, the other would start laughing and we both got so weak it was impossible for us to make a ball.

Neither one of us strong enough to get up and play and when we did take our turns, neither one of us could make a ball. Then it would start all over again, it took about an hour to play 4 games of ring 10 ball. Steve Oaks won all the money, they changed the order and he either followed Mataya or me and you couldn't fix them where either one of us could run 3 balls.

Then we played another hour or so but Mataya or I never won a game. I asked him to shoot for me once and they allowed it, he followed me so he just rolled the cue ball up a couple of feet to where all he had to do was shoot and stop to run 4 balls and win. Oaks followed Mataya and Jimmy missed an extremely easy 9 ball with the 10 ball hanging. Then we started for another ten minutes. Everything, on the floor and all.

Years later Cole squatted down and came up to my chest and looking up with the biggest he could make his eyes and said “you don’t think Calhoun and Phyllis fooled around, do you Reid?”
Then Cole laughed extra hard and had to tell somebody about what happened. How serious Jockey was wanting someone to tell him it was probably just a coincidence. LOAO.

Thank you Cole Dickson and Jimmy Mataya. You guys and those memories have been the best therapy in the world for my depression. With memories like those there's no hill too high.

Later, I’ll tell you about two religious happenings that occurred in my life, I told Cole and he said “man Jimmy I know you wouldn’t lie to me and I sure hope you’re right”
I know I'm right and anyone that wants to prove it just call me for the facts!

The first was a supernatural occurrence with witnesses. The second was an absolute miracle that I knew was going to happen and it too is a matter of record. Both are 100% provable.

If any of you want to hear about this direct call me at 772-370-0311
Mataya, Diliberto, Ed Kelly please call. Kenny owner of the pool room in Vegas, please call.
Eternity is in this Universe and good energy burns bright forever.

I love reading all your stories JIMMY, boy the 70s 80s were the best times hanging in the pool hall, we had the best player in Baltimore working in our pool hall so there would always be great players coming in and out of town to play him and with that there were some great times and laughter.

In one week we had Strickland then Rempe come by to play our player, boy what memories i have from all those fun and exciting times.

Things sure have changed since all those great times, our pool hall just close for good 2 months ago, that place was a land mark, so so sad too see it go.

But times are for sure different now all the regulars from back then are not around anymore, pool action dried up, technoligy (spell) has taken over.

JIMMY no matter what they cant take OUR memories away, every pool hall in the USA could close today but OUR memories of once was will never die!

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing and God bless

Thank you Jimmy for sharing these stories and honoring your dear friend's memory. May God bless you and continue to be by your side during these trying times.

Wishing you all the best Sir

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing Jimmy, I enjoyed the read, you guys ( Cole & all your friends ) had some great times together, may you always keep them close to heart!

David Harcrow

bakron1

Registered
Great story and thanks for sharing it. I love pool and have always enjoyed watching the action and the great players. My twin brother Don and myself where regular fixtures at the local tournaments and the Derby City classic which we never missed for the first nine years. We haven't played much in the last several years because of the auto industry being slow here in Michigan and my kid brother died in December at the age of 49 really rocked us to the core. But we are back playing pool again,but my twin brother Don will never be the same and finds its hard to get back into the game again. Only time wi heal our scars again and we look forward to going to the Derby classic in 2014. Thanks again for sharing the great story.