A few thoughts on MC cup 2014

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,
first of all congrats to both teams and to the people involved in producing another great event.

Be sure though this is not just any "event", it is a hard Pool battle where players need to bring out their best in order to win.

Team Europe was again a favorite, and once again they played professionally from start to end. We' re especially very proud over here in Greece about our friend Nick, he showed that he is "walking stable on the big scene", always ready to "get the job done".

Team USA definitely appeared prepared, they did appear as a hard working team. That alone, despite the final result, deserves true respect in my book.

SVB's performance on the last day is really nothing to blame him for. Things are way tougher when representing a whole nation with vast tradition on the sport, trying to bring back a title which means a lot to the US Pool fans. He walked into the field having to carry a huge weight on his shoulders, and this was simply not his good day against tough opponents.

I humbly suggest giving Mark Wilson the chance to build up further the US team, and US fans be a bit more conservative in their comments during the year. I don't know if there should be any changes in team selection process, but when a team is selected they need full support and not talking about another theoretical selection. I didn't want to mention this during the last months in order to avoid stepping into "foreign ground".

This year's format worked fine, giving the chance of some great Pool action showing up. I'm sure next year will be fine too and we're going to enjoy it.

Thanks for your time reading this, all the best.
Petros

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Maybe team Europe has players on thier team that shouldnt be allowed on thier team.

Nothing against DAZ at all, because he is good people.....but he does reside in the U.S.

as well as some of thier other players over the years that reside here in the USA.

I think new rules need to be in place for the structure of the teams.

Also the game that should be played should be 10 Ball (call shot, call safe)

just my .02 Cents.
-Steve

again nothing against DAZ or any other of Team Europe's players.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A terrific showing by Greece this year, especially to win the final match 5-2 against his nemesis Shane and pocket the winning 9-ball.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Maybe team Europe has players on thier team that shouldnt be allowed on thier team.

Nothing against DAZ at all, because he is good people.....but he does reside in the U.S.

as well as some of thier other players over the years that reside here in the USA.

I think new rules need to be in place for the structure of the teams.

Also the game that should be played should be 10 Ball (call shot, call safe)

just my .02 Cents.
-Steve

again nothing against DAZ or any other of Team Europe's players.

So, what is it you're really saying, is that Daz' should play for team USA next year?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, what is it you're really saying, is that Daz' should play for team USA next year?

I think we could make a pretty good team of Darren, Thorsten, & Mika, and then if we expand to North America we could include Jason Klatt and Alex.

RioSevario

Rivers
Silver Member
I believe that the team selection process should include a couple of matches against other players. Have 15 or so players selected to participate and have Mosconi type matches to determine who plays that format the best. It is easier to select a team when you can see them in action in the format you are playing.

As far as the game that is played. I don't think 10 ball should be it. Either leave it the same or go to Straight Pool races to 150.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, along with Mika, Thorston, and Jayson Shaw if they play. because they all reside here in the USA

-Steve

I have mixed feelings about this topic.

I think they would at least have to have duel citizenship to consider this. If any of them were willing to become a U.S. citizens then I would happily root for any of the guys you mentioned. If you just live here and aren't willing to take the full plunge then I would be opposed to the idea.

And that's duel citizenship, not Deuel citizenship. They can't just live with Corey for a couple of months and call it good.

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think that incorporating foreign players into a team would do it, it wouldn't be an "original" team.
Residence does not matter at all in gothering the best for a country or a group of countries, if SVB for eg was living in Europe or Asia, would that mean he shouldn't be called in US team or he should play for another team?...

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Hi all,
first of all congrats to both teams and to the people involved in producing another great event.

Be sure though this is not just any "event", it is a hard Pool battle where players need to bring out their best in order to win.

Team Europe was again a favorite, and once again they played professionally from start to end. We' re especially very proud over here in Greece about our friend Nick, he showed that he is "walking stable on the big scene", always ready to "get the job done".

Team USA definitely appeared prepared, they did appear as a hard working team. That alone, despite the final result, deserves true respect in my book.

SVB's performance on the last day is really nothing to blame him for. Things are way tougher when representing a whole nation with vast tradition on the sport, trying to bring back a title which means a lot to the US Pool fans. He walked into the field having to carry a huge weight on his shoulders, and this was simply not his good day against tough opponents.

I humbly suggest giving Mark Wilson the chance to build up further the US team, and US fans be a bit more conservative in their comments during the year. I don't know if there should be any changes in team selection process, but when a team is selected they need full support and not talking about another theoretical selection. I didn't want to mention this during the last months in order to avoid stepping into "foreign ground".

This year's format worked fine, giving the chance of some great Pool action showing up. I'm sure next year will be fine too and we're going to enjoy it.

Petros

Classy post Petros. You and the rest of Greece have every right to be very proud of Nick, he is a champ.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Hi all,

Petros

Nice perspective. :thumbup2:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nikos would have been my choice for MVP. Five match wins is very impressive.

ga9ball

South West Buyer!
Silver Member
Mosconi Cup

Very good post Petros, I think you summed it up well. Congrats to Nikos, and to Greece both deserving.
Yasou

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well

Team USA, one country to draw players from, Team Europe, a continent, drawing players form many countries. I wish their was a Team Pinoy or Team Asia and you had to beat other countries to get to the Mosconni Cup, which should always be held in the USA. Let them come to us to play. Time to blow away the smoke and break the mirrors. It is not set up to show which country has the best players. It favors the European Continent, which has many great shooters, and we all need to remember that. With that being said, how would Team USA do playing a Team Britain, Team Germany, Team Finland, Team Greece, etc. Be a different Mosconni Cup for sure. Just saying.....

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Nikos would have been my choice for MVP. Five match wins is very impressive.

I would've loved to see Nick the Greek win MVP....
...he's a breath of fresh air.

And I like what he's doing for pool in Greece.

gehawe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we could make a pretty good team of Darren, Thorsten, & Mika, and then if we expand to North America we could include Jason Klatt and Alex.

Good start of the thread. However, as always, now the trial to make it easier for USA to win (like the other threads in the last 5 years).

Just think of all the Brazilian soccer players, that are playing in the USA or Europe. So they may not participate in the future World Cups?

May Bustamante now play for Europe, as he resides now in Germany?

No, no boys - If you want to win, then you must do it by own effort.

Just face it: USA got a nice ass-wipping this time. You can now give up, blame it on somebody else, change the rules or just ... be better next time. :wink:

For me, the Mosconi Cup is the highlight of the year. Whoever wins. It is world class sport. And this time, the US-team was much better than the results show. And it was a team with a good attitude. I predict, that the pool nation USA will soon win again. And it will do this by teamwork and sportsmansship and not depending on fuzzy rule changes.

Can't wait until the next MC:thumbup2: