open and closed bridge

phildozer

Registered
i personally shoot an open bridge, but i see alot of closed bridges is there any downside or differences in shots i should be aware of ?

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Open bridges allow easier sighting down the line of the shot. Closed bridges increase the control of where the tip contacts the cue ball. And yes, different shots call for different bridges. And while there is no hard and fast rule, in general, if you are shooting above center, an open bridge is usually correct. Close your bridge when you are hitting the cue ball below center.

Steve

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Agree with here with Steve.

What is really interesting from my experience: if you take videos or photo-sequences from someone while hitting the cueball, the open bridge is the one where you can easily can analyze if the player attends to *stand up* in the stroke. If someone tells you that the open-bridge is *wrong<*- that s bullshit. You just need a very good straight stroke and good mechanicals/fundamentals.
On longer shots, where you need a very high acceleration through the cueball a closed bridge is what i recommend (extrem drawshots for example).

How Steve explained it- just choose the bridge on each shot what s the best for your. You ll see soon advantages and disadvantages on your own what is better (for you).

lg
Ingo

phildozer

Registered
thanks

thanks boys for all the good advice, would you guys recommend a pool instructor if one wants to play tournament pool or just run tables at bars for fun, because i can make shots and place the cue ball but i have no formal training. if so were should i look for an instructor i live in southern california any business's you know or suggestion thanks !

pooltchr

Silver Member
A good instructor can only help you improve. Contact RandyG or Scott Lee. I think both of them make it to California on a fairly regular basis. 3 days with those guys will give you a lifetime of great pool knowledge.

Steve

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Why would a open bridge help with aiming? Don't you do your aiming before you land your bridge hand? I have always heard that if you don't feel comfortable or unsure of the shot to get back up and start over and don't make any adjustments when down on the table.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why would a open bridge help with aiming? Don't you do your aiming before you land your bridge hand? I have always heard that if you don't feel comfortable or unsure of the shot to get back up and start over and don't make any adjustments when down on the table.
Some shots require your bridge hand to be correct left-right within less than 1mm. That's basic geometry. Most people won't get their hand placed that accurately in the first placement from a standing position. I don't think they're supposed to get up if the required adjustment is 1/2 mm.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member

I agree here with you 100%! If you feel bad on a shot-for what reason ever, your Pre-Shot-Routine had been killed-and......you already let negative thoughts comin through. So then i would always recommend here to stay up and start again. From which point of your PSR depends on where you re thinkin about.
An often made error is that ppl are already aligned, usualy close to execute and then startin to lift their head to look again around the table.....bad choice! You have to get down, WHEN you re ready-not before!

lg
Ingo

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
thanks boys for all the good advice, would you guys recommend a pool instructor if one wants to play tournament pool or just run tables at bars for fun, because i can make shots and place the cue ball but i have no formal training. if so were should i look for an instructor i live in southern california any business's you know or suggestion thanks !

Call Corey Harper at Hard Times. You can also PM him here:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=3107

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Closed bridge

Lucky me. I was taught, not by instructors(not available in the 60,s) but my 14 year old peers to use a closed bridge. I always use cb if possible. Certain situations of course require open bridge. Ever seen a masse shot with an open bridge? Hard for me to visualize that. I think certain aggressive shots must be shot with cb, but what do I know, I've only played since about 1964. Now that doesn't make me some kind of guru, but I do have an extraordinary amount of knowledge and experience. Just ask my teammates who constantly tell me to shut the hell up. On the upside they usually want me for their coach. Last point. If you are an instructor teaching a brand new student you have failed that student if you do not teach the CORRECT way to bridge. None of this (do what feels right for you crap) I bet you didn't let your kids eat corn with their hands at the dinner table just cause they wanted to and it was easier didja!!

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Hmmmm

Open bridges allow easier sighting down the line of the shot. Closed bridges increase the control of where the tip contacts the cue ball. And yes, different shots call for different bridges. And while there is no hard and fast rule, in general, if you are shooting above center, an open bridge is usually correct. Close your bridge when you are hitting the cue ball below center.

Steve

Good advice Steve ! :thumbup:

Alison Fisher uses an open bridege only (as you already know) as a top snooker player in merry old England. But her stroke is so PERFECT she can use an open bridge for just about any shot she encounters !!

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lucky me. I was taught, not by instructors(not available in the 60,s) but my 14 year old peers to use a closed bridge. I always use cb if possible. Certain situations of course require open bridge. Ever seen a masse shot with an open bridge? Hard for me to visualize that. I think certain aggressive shots must be shot with cb, but what do I know, I've only played since about 1964. Now that doesn't make me some kind of guru, but I do have an extraordinary amount of knowledge and experience. Just ask my teammates who constantly tell me to shut the hell up. On the upside they usually want me for their coach. Last point. If you are an instructor teaching a brand new student you have failed that student if you do not teach the CORRECT way to bridge. None of this (do what feels right for you crap) I bet you didn't let your kids eat corn with their hands at the dinner table just cause they wanted to and it was easier didja!!

Sure have seen an open bridge masse.

Masse.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Ever seen a masse shot with an open bridge? ...
Lots of carom players prefer open bridges for the majority of masse and half-masse shots they use. I saw Francis Connesson shoot this shot from the artistic competition with an open bridge:

CropperCapture[1].png

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
yea the only time I ever use a closed bridge for any kind of masse is if I'm free handing it.....shooting with my bridge hand in the air w/ arm tucked against my body.

If my hands on the table for a masse.......open bridge all day long.

Maybe if I had giraffe neck fingers i could do a closed bridged masse with my hand on the table.

Not sure what you mean by this do what feels right "crap" wiggles..........the instructors here teach proper bridge positions, the one you feel like using is up to you. It doesn't matter on most shots what kind of bridge you use, you use the one that is comfortable.

-Grey Ghost-

pooltchr

Silver Member
the bottom line is you should be comfortable with both open and closed bridges. Some shots lend themselves to using open, and some closed. The more tools you have in your tool box, the easier the job becomes.

Steve

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve is absolutely right. Good players swap back and forth between open and closed bridges all the time. A knowledgeable poolplayer will have at least 5 different bridge options that they are comfortable with.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Closed bridge

yea the only time I ever use a closed bridge for any kind of masse is if I'm free handing it.....shooting with my bridge hand in the air w/ arm tucked against my body.

If my hands on the table for a masse.......open bridge all day long.

Maybe if I had giraffe neck fingers i could do a closed bridged masse with my hand on the table.

Not sure what you mean by this do what feels right "crap" wiggles..........the instructors here teach proper bridge positions, the one you feel like using is up to you. It doesn't matter on most shots what kind of bridge you use, you use the one that is comfortable.

-Grey Ghost-
. You guys are right about the masse with open bridge when necessary. I'll concede on that one. I will not concede on being taught to use a closed bridge for new players being taught by instructors. Now I realize some may never learn the closed bridge and that's okay. But just to tell people hey don't worry about the cb you can probably accomplish all shots if it's too difficult for you. I disagree. I am not saying instructors should be emphatic about using the cb. Certainly start out with open bridge, it's much easier, but steer them into other horizons. Am I smarter than an instructor? No. Am I entitled to have a strong opinion. Yes.

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Closed bridge

the bottom line is you should be comfortable with both open and closed bridges. Some shots lend themselves to using open, and some closed. The more tools you have in your tool box, the easier the job becomes.

Steve

Thanks teach. More bullets in your arsenal is always good.

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve is absolutely right. Good players swap back and forth between open and closed bridges all the time. A knowledgeable poolplayer will have at least 5 different bridge options that they are comfortable with.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Correctomundo! Changing bridges should be just an unconscious thing. I shot for 6 months all shots all scenarios with an open bridge. Broken hand with a cast!! It hurt for about a year when I tried a closed bridge but I stayed on course.