1967 Poolhall in Manhattan

skateboardkid

Registered
Anyone remember the name of a Poolhall in the 1960's and 70's on 14th street in Manhattan? It was on a second floor walk up. Maybe somewhere on the east side in that area.

The Skateboard Kid - Astoria, NY

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Anyone remember the name of a Poolhall in the 1960's and 70's on 14th street in Manhattan? It was on a second floor walk up. Maybe somewhere on the east side in that area.

That would be Julians, 14 th Street, west of third Avenue and upstairs.

Great room:, approximately 30 - 9 footers, several billiard tables, and one or two 10' or 12' snooker tables.

George Mikula was the resident champion.

Last edited:

howaboutnever

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Lauri runs out a game against Mosconi at Julian's but I remember them in blocks of 125...probably
an earlier matchup....maybe 1960 or 1961. They played on a loose pocket 5x10 table...at that time
Lauri worked the room in Brooklyn that eventually became the Balukas poolroom...VR

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw Lauri runs out a game against Mosconi at Julian's but I remember them in blocks of 125...probably
an earlier matchup....maybe 1960 or 1961. They played on a loose pocket 5x10 table...at that time
Lauri worked the room in Brooklyn that eventually became the Balukas poolroom...VR

Willie's autobiography recounts a benefit exhibition match he had with (and for) Lauri at Julian's in 1965. It was a 3-day event, with two games to 150 each day. Willie won 5 of the 6. Willie said that over 1,000 spectators packed the place each day. Apparently Lauri was quite a character, sometimes prone to ramming his head into a wall when things were not going well.

Toncam

Another Bum !
Silver Member
Jimmy G
Are me and you the only guys who know what" Mook! What's a Mook?" , anyone else know what movie that's from ?? I know me and you do !! lol

Anyway, do you remember a pool place on 51st and 7th or Broadway ? It was downstairs in this old rat dirty old place ? I remember it from the Broadway, I was in trouble around there, lol. Got to be around 75 , some like that.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny you mention Lauri. I just saw him in a movie the other night.
Here is a link that confirms your memory

http://untoldstoriesbilliardshistory.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-dean-of-pool-memories-of-onofrio.html

A great player who is somewhat forgotten and completely unknown to most.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jimmy G
Are me and you the only guys who know what" Mook! What's a Mook?" , anyone else know what movie that's from ?? I know me and you do !! lol

Anyway, do you remember a pool place on 51st and 7th or Broadway ? It was downstairs in this old rat dirty old place ? I remember it from the Broadway, I was in trouble around there, lol. Got to be around 75 , some like that.

That would be McGirrs. It was full all day long - hustlers abound! :D

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Julians - a very nice room but not one of the action rooms back then. I did meet my buddy John Stravinsky there years ago and played some Banks. A few people watched our game but no one asked me to play. I was hopeful :D.

Last edited:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Jimmy G

We may just well may be Toncam....although I have posted this link before. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6fbGBYi84

As Jay suggested, you may have McGirrs in mind, although I recall McGirrs being on 8th Ave and in the same general neighborhood, but not exactly in the bright light "Broadway" area where Ames and 7-11 were.

Most of my NY pool playing days were in the late sixties, throughout the seventies and eighties I rarely picked up a cue....started playing again in the nineties, but never played well enough to spar with the big boys. :duck:

J

Last edited:
An unsung straight pool NYC legend named George Mikula used to play out of Julian's. I met him in the late 80's at Chelsea Billiards, where he taught me how to play 14.1. He had an incredible eye for picking out dead balls out of the stack. I learned everything about it from him and it is admittedly one of my strongest abilities. In fact, Michael Geffner once said about me that he's never seen anyone, ever, do it better than I. I've carried around the compliment for nearly 20 years. I have Geoarge to thank for it. Unfortunately, George was an unsalvageable alcoholic. I know when sober he taught Ginky and Johnathan Smith how to play, among many others. And until the day it closed, George held the high run at Chelsea with a run over 300 ( I forget the number on the plaque)

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Willie's autobiography recounts a benefit exhibition match he had with (and for) Lauri at Julian's in 1965. It was a 3-day event, with two games to 150 each day. Willie won 5 of the 6. Willie said that over 1,000 spectators packed the place each day. Apparently Lauri was quite a character, sometimes prone to ramming his head into a wall when things were not going well.

I wonder if thats not the same match mentioned in the article in this thread: (post #11) http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=343647

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
An unsung straight pool NYC legend named George Mikula used to play out of Julian's. I met him in the late 80's at Chelsea Billiards, where he taught me how to play 14.1. He had an incredible eye for picking out dead balls out of the stack. I learned everything about it from him and it is admittedly one of my strongest abilities. In fact, Michael Geffner once said about me that he's never seen anyone, ever, do it better than I. I've carried around the compliment for nearly 20 years. I have Geoarge to thank for it. Unfortunately, George was an unsalvageable alcoholic. I know when sober he taught Ginky and Johnathan Smith how to play, among many others. And until the day it closed, George held the high run at Chelsea with a run over 300 ( I forget the number on the plaque)

Here's a repost from 2013, Stu:

"Being that I grew up not too far from Julians, I spent quite a few of my teenage days playing and observing there. Although I was just a "kid" at the time, the two brothers who owned the room and worked the counter knew me well enough to allow me to run a tab there, my first credit extension, although I rarely used it.

There were actually two sets of stairs leading in and out of the room, and quite a room it was. While not quite having the same cache of 7/11, Ames, or McGirrs, it probably fell only about a half ball short. Room was open until, I believe, 2:00 AM, whereas local rooms in the area closed at 11:00 or maybe 12:00PM, while 7/11 and Ames were opened 24 hours. I don't know much about McGirrs except that it was on 8th Avenue, somewhere around the 42nd Street area. Saw Peter Falk, "Columbo", playing there once .

Julians had quite a number of pool tables, probably over thirty, I don't remember which brand they were but if I had to, I'd bet they were Brunswicks. Also had a very large snooker table, probably a 6'x 12', and several billiards tables. It was quite the serious room.

The resident "champion" was a gentleman named George Mikula, and a champion he truly was. Constantly running a hundred plus balls in straight pool and not uncommon to see him do some amazing things on the billiard table as well, I understand that he had run an eleven or twelve. Unfortunately, George had the reputation of not doing as well when he gambled, especially for higher stakes...but it didn't matter he was loved in Julians and would find backers whenever someone from "uptown" ventured down to his room. Years later I understand that George moved over to Chelsea Billiards where he was said to have tutored Ginky and others in the art of straight pool, and I also understand had a sign or plaque behind the counter highlighting his high run of well over 300.

I also recall a very pleasant and friendly Puerto Rican gentleman named "Prince", who was always in 9 ball action while dressed to the nines and wearing a nice diamond pinky ring that was always noticeable and sparkly as he extended and waved his pinky during his stroke, very possible intentionally .

About thirty years later and after a pretty long pool layoff for myself I met up with an older gentleman who called himself "Trick Shot Monte" who knew George very well and also spent years studying the racing forms and playing pool at Julians, he thought that George may have been one of the most talented players ever, unfortunately he informed me of George's and Prince's passing. Also met a gentleman room owner/player, Bill Malone, a few years later in Florida who also played at Julians and he, of course, knew, and acknowledged George's talents.

Although I very much look back upon those old days with fondness, I am also very grateful that I "escaped" into the military before I went too far down the rabbit hole myself.

J"

No doubt about George's talent. I remember in the very early 90's he was tapped to be the consultant on a soft drink commercial (don't remember the brand), where two balls were clustered near the corner pocket and he was tasked with pocketing both balls after pocketing the first ball with force follow, and after it "bounced" off the object ball, it would come back and pocket the next ball. If anyone remembers that commercial, that was George. He had sobered up for a short while to do that gig. After taping, he disappeared for a while, like he often did, and we all new what that meant. Still, he was mostly an angry drunk, but every time I walked into Chelsea, he'd get up and greet me with a smile. If I'm not mistaken, he lived in the same building where Julian's had been located. Tragically, while under the influence, he passed away after taking a nasty tumble down a flight of stairs. RIP.

Dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy G

That would be "Mean Streets".
I still put that at the top of my list. Scorsese, De Niro and Harvey Keitel. Alright.... I'm gonna say it> it's a brilliant film and it still holds up today.
I grew up across the river and spent time in the city as a kid and a teenager, so there's a bit of nostalgia going for me, but it endures .
Dialog pops into my head every now and then, including "What's a mook?". It brings a smile to my face every time.