End of my Cohen match

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Thought I'd share my last bunch of balls from the Cohen match, which was anything but a conventional pattern. Sometimes you have to take what you get. 10-page diagram below...

CueTable Help

In the first diagram, I've gotten out of line in my end rack and plan to bail out with a side pocket breakshot using the 14. I plan to hit the 15 and slide across table to shoot the 1. There's a decent margin of error here, as I can get straight on the 1, or have an angle going to the rail. As long as I don't go too far or wildly short from the 15, it's a workable position.

I went wildly short unfortunately (diagram 2). Now I really have to bail out and play the 14 first. I thought there was a minute chance that I could stun over, miss the 1, and now use the 1 in the same way I planned to use the 14. As you'll see, I bumped the 1 and now I'm in a bad spot (diagram 4).

In diagram 5, you'll see where I got on the breakshot. Not good at all, and the diagram is unfortunately a bit misleading - I was closer to the object ball than it looks, and shooting the 1 in the upper right corner (as seen on the screen) was not a viable option.

Anyway, anyone who is familiar with my game knows I kind of like the shot I end up playing. It's a great shot to know when you're really stuck with very little at the end of a rack. This isn't my usual application of the shot, but it's the same concept. I never even considered not shooting the shot, even though Cohen only needed 50 more balls. A champion like him, with his back to the wall, would take any opportunity I give him from there and run out. I feel that's a certainty. I also felt that, as long as I put all my focus on making the ball, even if I missed the rack it wouldn't be death. So I started taking practice strokes, gearing myself up for the shot, and it just felt right. Most of all, my confidence on this particular shot really helped me feel comfortable. I also knew the only way to get the right action on the cueball is to blast the shot, which would at least make it entertaining one way or another :).

I hit the rack completely square at about a million miles per hour, but amazingly, only a few balls really escaped the rack area. The cueball bounced off the rack, went to the side rail, and landed where I show in diagram 7. I was exhilarated by the reaction of the crowd, but I made sure to calm myself down before shooting my next shot. I simply refused to not get out from this spot, even though I still needed about 5 more balls. So I carefully took my time and eventually played the 15 at a good speed, to make sure to disturb the rack entirely.

I landed all the way down table and had a few shots, but none of them was super easy. I saw the combination on the 8/11 in diagram 9, but it wasn't dead. I believe it was aimed to about point A on the short rail. For whatever reason, I felt it was my time to win such a big match, and I felt very relaxed as I shot the combination perfectly into the hole. A nice benefit to the shot was that I was able to basically stop the cueball, while I had the wide open rack to choose from next.

I counted the balls on the table about 50 times in my head, to make sure I knew how many I still had to make. At this point, playing all-ball-fouls is brutal, because I'm thinking to myself that the only way I can screw this up is to start fouling balls all over the place, but somehow I held it together enough to not touch anything I wasn't supposed to.

Anyway, was a fun way to end the match so I figured I'd post it. More to come later...

- Steve

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's some nice "heady" play Steve. I'll bet it was tuff to keep composure with difficult shots to close the match. Terrific accomplishment.

Doug

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Thought I'd share my last bunch of balls from the Cohen match, which was anything but a conventional pattern. Sometimes you have to take what you get. 10-page diagram below...

CueTable Help

In the first diagram, I've gotten out of line in my end rack and plan to bail out with a side pocket breakshot using the 14. I plan to hit the 15 and slide across table to shoot the 1. There's a decent margin of error here, as I can get straight on the 1, or have an angle going to the rail. As long as I don't go too far or wildly short from the 15, it's a workable position.

I went wildly short unfortunately (diagram 2). Now I really have to bail out and play the 14 first. I thought there was a minute chance that I could stun over, miss the 1, and now use the 1 in the same way I planned to use the 14. As you'll see, I bumped the 1 and now I'm in a bad spot (diagram 4).

In diagram 5, you'll see where I got on the breakshot. Not good at all, and the diagram is unfortunately a bit misleading - I was closer to the object ball than it looks, and shooting the 1 in the upper right corner (as seen on the screen) was not a viable option.

Anyway, anyone who is familiar with my game knows I kind of like the shot I end up playing. It's a great shot to know when you're really stuck with very little at the end of a rack. This isn't my usual application of the shot, but it's the same concept. I never even considered not shooting the shot, even though Cohen only needed 50 more balls. A champion like him, with his back to the wall, would take any opportunity I give him from there and run out. I feel that's a certainty. I also felt that, as long as I put all my focus on making the ball, even if I missed the rack it wouldn't be death. So I started taking practice strokes, gearing myself up for the shot, and it just felt right. Most of all, my confidence on this particular shot really helped me feel comfortable. I also knew the only way to get the right action on the cueball is to blast the shot, which would at least make it entertaining one way or another :).

I hit the rack completely square at about a million miles per hour, but amazingly, only a few balls really escaped the rack area. The cueball bounced off the rack, went to the side rail, and landed where I show in diagram 7. I was exhilarated by the reaction of the crowd, but I made sure to calm myself down before shooting my next shot. I simply refused to not get out from this spot, even though I still needed about 5 more balls. So I carefully took my time and eventually played the 15 at a good speed, to make sure to disturb the rack entirely.

I landed all the way down table and had a few shots, but none of them was super easy. I saw the combination on the 8/11 in diagram 9, but it wasn't dead. I believe it was aimed to about point A on the short rail. For whatever reason, I felt it was my time to win such a big match, and I felt very relaxed as I shot the combination perfectly into the hole. A nice benefit to the shot was that I was able to basically stop the cueball, while I had the wide open rack to choose from next.

I counted the balls on the table about 50 times in my head, to make sure I knew how many I still had to make. At this point, playing all-ball-fouls is brutal, because I'm thinking to myself that the only way I can screw this up is to start fouling balls all over the place, but somehow I held it together enough to not touch anything I wasn't supposed to.

Anyway, was a fun way to end the match so I figured I'd post it. More to come later...

- Steve

Steve,

thanks for sharing your great win.....The pressure alone of playing such a player makes this end pattern more common ? i am real happy you held yourself together and got out. Its funny the breakshot you actually left yourself I feel the same confidence in that same very shot. I think it is because i love to see the cueball take the exact path in which you tell it to and it gives you a minute to see it unfold... In my eyes it is a beautiful shot, Well Played Sir !!!

-Steve

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
This was the best breakshot I've ever seen considering the pressure of the situation. Biggest crowd reaction of the entire event. Object ball hit center pocket, cue ball travels 12 feet, two rails and hits the stack at the highest possible speed possible for this type of shot.

Proud of you Steve, highlight of my trip.

Bill

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve,

I watched the end of your match and your description was nicely written. I thought there were 2 areas that made it even harder than you described.

1. The break shot into the side was heavy inside english right? That certainly makes it a tougher shot in my book especially at such high speed.

2. The combination you mention at the end seemed much harder from where I was sitting. How far apart were the object balls? It seemed that it was one of those 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch separations where the cut of the combination and the throw of the balls counteract each other. It almost didn't seem possible except maybe with new, clean balls it was able to work. Or maybe they were further apart than I thought?

Really a great finish and nice win!
Andy

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Steve,

I watched the end of your match and your description was nicely written. I thought there were 2 areas that made it even harder than you described.

1. The break shot into the side was heavy inside english right? That certainly makes it a tougher shot in my book especially at such high speed.

2. The combination you mention at the end seemed much harder from where I was sitting. How far apart were the object balls? It seemed that it was one of those 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch separations where the cut of the combination and the throw of the balls counteract each other. It almost didn't seem possible except maybe with new, clean balls it was able to work. Or maybe they were further apart than I thought?

Andy

Steve: Congratulations again for your fine play all week. I know you play against great players all the time at Amsterdam, but to keep your composure and make such tough shots to close out a game on this stage demonstrates to me that you have made an important step in the development of your game. I expect more great results next year.

I was wondering about that combo, too. Did you throw it or cut it or did both effects figure into your calculation of where to hit the ball. Very important shot.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve, to be familiar with that break shot is one thing but to have the guts to play it, in that situation, is taking it to a totally extreme level. Well done sir.

I have to learn that shot.

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
would love to see what this is about -- anyone have the chops and time to convert it for those of use who can't use CueTable?

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Steve,

Andy

Thanks Andy. As to your point 1, yes, the shot needed extreme inside english. I tried to show that in the diagram, but you're right, I didn't mention it in the text.

To yours and Dennis' questions about the combination, the balls were apart by just enough that I believed it to be just a cut shot, not a throw shot. I've been wrong before on this distance, so just to be sure, on these shots I try to overcut the object ball by a minute amount, so even a small amount of throw shouldn't lead to a miss.

In other words, on this shot, I'll try to aim the 11 into the left side of the pocket so even if it throws a bit to the right, I might still make it. I have no idea if this actually works lol.

Andy, you mentioned that the shot looked like it was harder than I'm showing in my diagram. In all honesty, if the shot were much harder than what I was showing, I wouldn't have shot it. I had other shots, and even though none of them was easy, I wouldn't take a flyer on the combination if it was really tough to judge.

Now, that said, on reasonably tight equipment, a combination off by a half-diamond with the balls pretty close to each other, and 7 feet from the cueball... I think the shot was just reasonable enough to make it higher percentage than the other shots, but it wasn't a no-brainer. The shot was very missable. I just felt good about it for some reason.

- Steve

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Steve: Congratulations again for your fine play all week. I know you play against great players all the time at Amsterdam, but to keep your composure and make such tough shots to close out a game on this stage demonstrates to me that you have made an important step in the development of your game. I expect more great results next year.

Thanks Dennis! I had a bit of a breakthrough at this tournament for sure, and it came from several sources.

First, about three or four months ago, I was talking to Thorsten at Society Billiards in NY. He told me I should make a plan to win the World 14.1 Championship. He wasn't kidding, and I thought he was insane. I told him that one of my biggest things to overcome was that a lot of the players in that tournament don't know that I can play a little, and therefore they freestroke on me in ways they might not against players they are a bit afraid of. He agreed that that was a bit of an issue, but I'd just have to play through it and show them. (Interestingly, one of the examples of players I gave to prove my point was Stefan Cohen, who I had to play in the first round last year.) It led to a good chat about what it takes to win a tournament, and I learned a lot from him that day. Just the fact that he planted that seed in my head was an important first step. I've had this talk with Tony Robles too, and he's been instrumental in similar ways.

Second, I spoke a bit with Alex Pagulayan at the Hall of Fame banquet, who I've never really spoken to before. He told me to adopt a "fake it til you make it" attitude. In other words, believe I can win that tough match even if I have no earthly reason to believe it. He said that over time, this attitude will become second-nature and will change how you see yourself.

Finally, Danny Barouty and I have been trying to figure out ways to break out of our usual pattern in this tournament. We always get out of the round-robin and then either win one match or none, collect our $600, and go home. Super frustrating. So I got the idea a couple weeks ago that, when I take my time around a rack, I remove a lot of the silly mistakes I make. And it occurred to me that I'd rather have my opponent complain to his friends that I played a bit deliberately at times, than to have my opponent's friends congratulate him on a win. I really made it a point to reduce the number of times, with an open rack, that I just played zone position and figured I'd have something. I played slower but I felt it really made a difference.

I wish that I had learned all these things a little earlier in life but I'm happy I finally learned them. Hoping it translates to more consistent results in this tournament.

- Steve

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
This was the layout that Steve Lipsky illustrated on CueTable.

would love to see what this is about -- anyone have the chops and time to convert it for those of use who can't use CueTable?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-09-05 at 3.26.21 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-09-05 at 3.26.21 PM.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
This was the layout that Steve Lipsky illustrated on CueTable.

Thanks ctyhntr. My hunch is that wiggly was asking about diagram 5 in that sequence. I don't know how to convert these to a jpg, so unfortunately I'm useless in this department.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great accomplishment. Any idea whether they are going to sell dvd's of the event?

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
yep. can imagine the rest from the starting diagram -- which Was a big help, thanks!!! -- but can't really figure out what the break looked like.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This really was one of the best break shots I've ever seen in World Championship play and is reminiscent of a break shot played by BCA Hall of Famer Joe Balsis in the 1980 PPPA World 14.1 Championships in a similar situation. Joe tried to get onto a side pocket break shot but got dead straight on it.

Not wanting to extend the match with a safety battle, he opted to thinly cut the ball into one of the top corners and sent the cue ball one rail into the pack, after which he ran out the match on his way to the final against Mike Sigel, who was to win his first World 14.1 championship.

I guess we must conclude that Steve has a little Joe Balsis in him!

Well played, Steve!

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the insights Steve! I like Alex's "fake it til you make it". I think there's a lot of value in that.

Players can definitely take you lightly (and me more so!). Last year I played Jasmin who fooled around in her first two matches but won easily. When we played - same thing until she chose an odd swerve shot on an open table. She missed and I ran 49 balls. She responded with 64 out! Match dynamics can be an interesting thing.

I agree that the combination was a good choice. Shooting the open ball off the end rail would have been quite a shot. I don't read combinations very well but I imagine it had a larger margin of error than the long cut shot on the 10 in your diagram off the back rail.

Attached is the break shot for the non CueTable users.

Attachments

• LipskyBreakShot.jpg
    LipskyBreakShot.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 184