Maybe she should stick to pool

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Only 5 balls in the Snooker match. Honestly, I have never seen that before.

OK, Me a dummy. someone explain this.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
I think they played a 1 and 1 match, 9 ball and snooker and each won at their respective disciplines.So maybe this could have been just as aptly titled "maybe he should stick to snooker"?

er no, on the big table she looked like she never held a cue before.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
er no, on the big table she looked like she never held a cue before.

Sorry, I think I don't get your point. She doesn't play snooker, he does, and he beat her.

He doesn't play 9-ball, she does, and she beat him.

I'm quite sure that she will stick to 9-ball and he to snooker.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
As an aside, Efren Reyes played Blomdahl (sorry can't do his first name) at least twice in 1 and 1 matches, 9 ball (maybe 10 ball the second time) and 3 cushion billiards, and (from memory ...SO.....) I think Blomdahl won both matches both times, which clearly meant, Efren should stick to something besides rotation pool.

Or maybe it means that 3-C is a superior discipline. Or maybe it means that Blondahl is a better champion than Reyes. Or maybe it is without meaning, but a fun exhibition.

I wonder how much Pan Xiaoting got paid for showing up and winning her discipline?

Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
After participating and reading this forum for several years I've finally come to the conclusion that I like snooker a lot more than I like most snooker fans. If it's self - evident that snooker is so superior why the need to remind us all the time in the most jerky way possible? Both games have their own attributes worthy of appreciation.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only 5 balls in the Snooker match. Honestly, I have never seen that before.

OK, Me a dummy. someone explain this.

You can't count. :D
There are 6 reds.
And there is a 6 reds Tournament on the World Snooker Tour

SEPTEMBER 2-7
6 Reds World Championship
Bangkok, Thailand
WINNER: MARK DAVIS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5OY7bbGvqc

From the World Snooker Rules
http://www.worldsnooker.com/staticFiles/40/8d/0,,13165~167232,00.pdf
Alternative Snooker
A SIMPLIFIED FORM OF SNOOKER (ie SIX REDS)
This version can be played with any number of red balls.
All the usual Snooker rules apply with the following exceptions:
There will be no more than five consecutive Foul and a Miss calls at any one time.
After four consecutive Foul and a Miss calls, the referee will warn the offending player that should a Foul and a Miss be called again the following options are available to the non-striker:
(i)
play himself from where the balls have come to rest;
(ii)
ask his opponent to play from where the balls have to come to rest;
(iii)
place the cue ball anywhere on the table, but this option cannot be
taken if play has reached the “snookers required” stage.
A player cannot snooker behind a nominated colour at any time.

Last edited:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie picks up 100K for exhibition.
http://youtu.be/LJuQy5jaGc8
Cool, thanks for the link.

They kinda copied the 'King v Queen' event I organized and promoted in Shanghai in 2005. I flew Ralf Souquet over to play Pan Xiao Ting in a race to 15. Ralf won 15-9 I think.

It was broadcast on Shanghai Sports Channel prime time Friday night.

The money has sure gone up as the sport has exploded since those days.

I've seen Pan Xiao Ting make a 40+ break in another local Chinese 2 frame appearance promotion. She goes ok, but there is a big gap to someone like Ronnie.

I've had the pleasure of playing Xiao Ting several times. She'd even come around to my place for English lessons with my gf. She's a real star in China nowadays and has a chain of pool/snooker clubs.

sheffield6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After participating and reading tgis forum for several years I've finally come to the conclusion that I like snooker a lot more than I like most snooker fans. If it's self - evident that snooker is so superior why the need to remind us all the time in the most jerky way possible? Both games have their own attributes worthy of appreciation.

correctamundo:thumbup:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After participating and reading tgis forum for several years I've finally come to the conclusion that I like snooker a lot more than I like most snooker fans. If it's self - evident that snooker is so superior why the need to remind us all the time in the most jerky way possible? Both games have their own attributes worthy of appreciation.

While I think the top snooker players are the best cueists among the billiard disciplines, [due to 1. Big Money over years brings out the best and 2. The game requires a higher degree of accuracy than most.], I concur that snooker fans, and even English 8 ball enthusiast are often jerks in their assessment of US table games.... most commonly repeating the canard that the pockets are buckets, can't miss etc.

They go quiet after they play a few games and struggle to run 3. Even for pretty good cueists, it takes a while to adapt and requires time to develop new skill sets.

I suspect Darren Appleton has worked as hard as anyone since moving from English 8 Ball to US Pool in around 2006. It took him a few years to become the player he is today. His fundamentals were good, but it takes a lot more than good fundamentals to compete with the best on the US tables.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I tell you what, that segment from Chinese TV just warmed my heart. To see our cue sports so embaced by a country of well over a billion people makes me feel good deep inside. For those who think pool is dying, this is proof of just the opposite. Our sport is alive and well, and even thriving. If I were a young pool player I would think seriously about learning Chinese and moving to China. Foreign champions are welcomed over there and treated with reverence as the great athletes they are.

That said there was something particularly wonderful about the trick shot segment where Ms. Pan actually taught Ronnie some shots. This is a tradition as old as pool itself, the passing down of very cool trick shots from one generation to another. Here is a petite little Asian girl showing an elite Snooker player shots that have been around since the Greenleaf era. Yes, these same shots were taught by several generations of pool players until someone showed them to young Ms. Pan. She needed only the skill and the aptitude to acquire the ability to execute them just like Mosconi or Caras would have done once upon a time.

LIke her predessesors she will in turn teach these shots to the next generation of pool players and the beauty of our game will continue. There is something beautiful about this that is hard to put in words. Let's just say I loved watching the care at which she set up each shot and executed it flawlessly. There is a certain respect and appreciation for our game shown here that gives me a good feeling deep inside.

P.S. Also very cool the attractive lady commentator who interviewd Ronnie in English and translated to Chinese for her audience. The planet grows a little smaller, in part thanks to Pool and Snooker. THIS is how pool gets in the Olympics, by growing worldwide!

Last edited: