Who made this cue?

Flanagand28

Not sure that make of this cue. Tried to check for the weight but no normal weight . My father got this cue before I was born and want to know about it. The only letter I found is a "R" has 4 sections any info would help thanks

Attachments

• B53E284E-984D-4452-880A-3C6E9FB86BE2.jpg
    B53E284E-984D-4452-880A-3C6E9FB86BE2.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 806
  • 4B57B8C4-402E-4A7A-90FD-7A0F6D60FD08.jpg
    4B57B8C4-402E-4A7A-90FD-7A0F6D60FD08.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 794
  • 0ECD8494-A290-465C-BA98-0E429C21FC13.jpg
    0ECD8494-A290-465C-BA98-0E429C21FC13.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 800
  • AB38E3F7-B254-40E2-8138-47D20512D447.jpg
    AB38E3F7-B254-40E2-8138-47D20512D447.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 815

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
It might be a sampiao...they were made in Portugal.

Collectible with the billiards players they usually have carvings and ivory and MOP inlay. It’s got the wooden pin too. I just never seen one with the weight rings so it could be a 60-70s knock off of a turn of century Sampiao

With the finish blackened and the wood so light underneath...add those weight rings....I’d say knockoff

Others who may know a little more should be around shortly
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I believe it is a French made Hiolle cue.
I bought my first one in 1962.
Not a Sampaio cue.
I have occasionally seen the parallelogram design in a Finck cue,
But everything else says potentially Hiolle.
The multi sections may suggest not Hiolle.

Google Hiolle, then tap on "Images" at the top of page. You will get dozens of
Hiolle cues, and may see one like yours.

Look very closely, it may have Hiolle stamped on either the shaft or butt, not always.

Nice, original cue with personal history.
You should keep it.

Will Prout

Last edited:

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
french made cue.
IMHO not a Hiolle but more likely an Henin Ainé cue.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
No clue, but a manicure is overdue for the guy holding the cue.

Working Men don’t get them.....surecthey are nice but that nice manicure I’ll destroy it about as fast as they made my hands pretty and soft 🤣.....

So I get my girl one instead lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flanagand28

The cue on the bottom of that link looks to have the same inlay and almost same design as the on in the picture with it being a 3 piece butt. That would only say that it was made in Germany but after looking through some henin Aîné cues and they also look close but the one made in Germany by Boetzel looks very close. Still up in the air I'll have to do some more research yet and maybe find a value

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue on the bottom of that link looks to have the same inlay and almost same design as the on in the picture with it being a 3 piece butt. That would only say that it was made in Germany but after looking through some henin Aîné cues and they also look close but the one made in Germany by Boetzel looks very close. Still up in the air I'll have to do some more research yet and maybe find a value

In the shape it's in, there will not be a lot of value in it. When I first saw it I thought "$20 WalMart cue" but the shaft threads looked a bit unusual as was the shaft color.

Looks like 17 here http://users.skynet.be/billard.billiards/unident.htm

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the shape it's in, there will not be a lot of value in it. When I first saw it I thought "$20 WalMart cue" but the shaft threads looked a bit unusual as was the shaft color.

Looks like 17 here http://users.skynet.be/billard.billiards/unident.htm

Yup.

That's the one I think.

As for the appearance and value, that's one of the things I find amusing about these cues. Sometimes people see an antique billiard cue and immediately think $20 Chinese cue...and so you can get one for a song. Some can be worth quite a bit.

I don't think this one is worth so much...but a lot more than $20.

And that shaft...it isn't maple I think...not Ramin...what is it? Oak?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Yup.

That's the one I think.

As for the appearance and value, that's one of the things I find amusing about these cues. Sometimes people see an antique billiard cue and immediately think $20 Chinese cue...and so you can get one for a song. Some can be worth quite a bit.

Not Oak. I have a feeling it’s a very early Predator shaft, you can see the glue lines running length wise:eek:

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Someone dipped their toes outside the NPR threads, and came here with some NPR comments......

...about manicures.....(facepalm)

Somebody let him off his leash a while back - he barks a lot, and craps on the floor, but nobody really pays attention.
Jason

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Yup.

That's the one I think.

Wenge?
Will Prout