Verify the 526 run size table.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have always heard the 526 Mosconi run table was the full sized 4 x 8 and not the snaller home size. Can anyone verify that?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were you there or have you seen the table? I am looking for someone who has seen the table.
Everything i've ever seen on this said the table had 5.25" corners. Exhibition was supposed to take place on a 9ft. but due to his Brunswick deal they had to use the 4x8. BTW, considering when it was played how many do think are on AZB that were there? It was what, 60 some-odd yrs ago?

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything i've ever seen on this said the table had 5.25" corners. Exhibition was supposed to take place on a 9ft. but due to his Brunswick deal they had to use the 4x8. BTW, considering when it was played how many do think are on AZB that were there? It was what, 60 some-odd yrs ago?

If I didn't see it it didn't happen. Next thing they're gonna tell us is someone landed on the moon.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the guy walks in cold to shoot on a freakin' table he never saw before in his life. No magic chalk, no $30. makeup chalk, no glove, no $500. CF shaft, no LD shaft, no 860. No he had to play on a nap you could mow. The self proclaimed world's greatest table mechanic was yet to be discovered. How did anyone ever shoot on something not "Diamonized"? Oh, Diamond wasn't even invented yet either.

Under those primitive conditions he plunked 526 in the holes. How about for the record to be broken you have to play cold, on a unknown table?

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best record on there, 5x full racks of rotation by Efren.
Although Ralph’s 27 racks of 8 ball is amazing and hard to believe...

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think 22 people

Were you there or have you seen the table? I am looking for someone who has seen the table.

Best I remember twenty-two people signed the affidavit that they had seen the entire run. I am dubious that there were that many people that didn't go to the bathroom or grab another drink but we can probably add another dozen or two that were there for at least part of the run and didn't sign the affidavit.

I think Jay and PT-109 are both familiar with the table, hopefully one of them will see this thread. I have heard that it was an eight foot home style table, standard eight foot table that has the same playing area as a home table, and that it was one of the old Super8's which were roughly halfway in between the eight and nine footers best I recall. I played a lot of hours on a Super8 but never measured one.

Mostly just tagging this thread so I will read the answer too. Only recently have I seen claims it was a Super8 which would be interesting to know. Also would be interesting to know if the table had the strongly directional cloth on it. That adds a level of difficulty not found on today's tables too.

Hu

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always heard the 526 Mosconi run table was the full sized 4 x 8 and not the snaller home size. Can anyone verify that?
Full sized 8-foot meaning the oversized 46"x92" version as opposed to the standard 44"x88" standard 8 version? I would like to know that as well.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best I remember twenty-two people signed the affidavit that they had seen the entire run. I am dubious that there were that many people that didn't go to the bathroom or grab another drink but we can probably add another dozen or two that were there for at least part of the run and didn't sign the affidavit.

I think Jay and PT-109 are both familiar with the table, hopefully one of them will see this thread. I have heard that it was an eight foot home style table, standard eight foot table that has the same playing area as a home table, and that it was one of the old Super8's which were roughly halfway in between the eight and nine footers best I recall. I played a lot of hours on a Super8 but never measured one.

Mostly just tagging this thread so I will read the answer too. Only recently have I seen claims it was a Super8 which would be interesting to know. Also would be interesting to know if the table had the strongly directional cloth on it. That adds a level of difficulty not found on today's tables too.

Hu
Was there non-directional worsted cloth in '54? Almost had to be old-school nappy directional stuff.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Does anyone know if this table is still around somewhere? If not that's disappointing that piece of history wasn't preserved.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if this table is still around somewhere? If not that's disappointing that piece of history wasn't preserved.
I was told by George Rood who was a part owner of the room after the 526 run that three different people believed that they owned the table. He said that with a twinkle in his eye. George did enjoy a good joke.:) It should be easy to find one of them.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I spent about 12 years playing pool in Springfield Ohio in the late 80s and all the 90s where the record was set.
My best friend George Rood was partners in the room with a guy named Russ Maddox.{East High Billiards} where he had the exhibition.
I met the guy who was the referee, his name was Byrd I believe .
I also met about 10 or 15 of the original signers of the affidavit saying that he set the record there.
Some unscrupulous person, over the years , sold several 4x8s and even a couple of 41/2 x 9s as the table the record was set on.
Which helped muddy up the facts.
Almost all of the people I talked to, said it was a 4x8 Brunswick with big pockets. Whatever that means.
Most of them are long gone now, a couple were young boys with their dads, but who knows if they are reliable qualified witnesses, from what they explained to me I think so , but?
I have some other information about the event, that I don't believe anyone else alive has , I am saving it for now.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Best I remember twenty-two people signed the affidavit that they had seen the entire run. I am dubious that there were that many people that didn't go to the bathroom or grab another drink but we can probably add another dozen or two that were there for at least part of the run and didn't sign the affidavit. ...

The affidavit was signed by 37 (if I counted correctly) people who "witnessed" the run. It doesn't say they all saw every shot. In his autobiography, Willie said the run took only 2 hours and 10 minutes, so I imagine many of the witnesses were able to watch it all.