How Would You Play This Layout?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Changed my mind. Went down on table and set it up. Cue ball too close to the two to effectively draw into the 5. Instead, thin the 2 up behind the 9, cue ball uptable to head rail.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Changed my mind. Went down on table and set it up. Cue ball too close to the two to effectively draw into the 5. Instead, thin the 2 up behind the 9, cue ball uptable to head rail.

I was looking at that too, but not sure I like it. Same thing will happen regardless, when I try to duck behind the 7. Thing is, the 2 can glue dead to the 9. So even if he cant see it, my opponent could jump the 7, hit the short rail to make the kick and end the game.
With my luck, it could happen.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cut the 2 straight into the 9....top with a little right...2 rails behind 6 ball (like z bank)...even if opponent can see 2 ball, they probably arent going to like the shot they are seeing.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are shooting at the 2 ball. How would you play this?

View attachment 364315

View attachment 364316
Another hanger. Pique' off the 2-ball into the long rail and short kick that 5-ball in. Cueball with running english goes two more cushion, doubling the lower right corner, and out to the center of the table or all the way back to the long rail. The 2-ball goes across and back so that the next shot is on the 2-ball in the same pocket as the 5-ball.

Freddie <~~~ pretty much right on the last two

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another hanger. Pique' off the 2-ball into the long rail and short kick that 5-ball in. Cueball with running english goes two more cushion, doubling the lower right corner, and out to the center of the table or all the way back to the long rail. The 2-ball goes across and back so that the next shot is on the 2-ball in the same pocket as the 5-ball.

Freddie <~~~ pretty much right on the last two

I was gonna say Masse' into the 5... for fun mainly, but you went all in with the Pique' shot before I could raise. LOL

Colin

crww

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kick the two into opposite corner at pocket plus one diamond speed. the cue goes uptable with position/cover behind the three,

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was gonna say Masse' into the 5... for fun mainly, but you went all in with the Pique' shot before I could raise. LOL

Colin
LOL!!!

I had two other shots in mind, too. But they were entirely too bring. Chips were committed.

2) Carom the 2-ball of the 9-ball into the 6-ball

3) Combo bank the 9-ball cross side

Freddie <~~~ snooooooooooze

gatorchad

Registered
I'm thinning the 2 over behind the nine and sending the cue ball up table trying to get it behind something as well.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd concentrate on not leaving the 2, the CB can go where ever it wants. The shot to leave it behind the 4, and 2 behind the 9 doesn't look on to me. It looks to thin so if you got behind the 4 the 2 isn't making it behind the 9. On major problem with this is you don't get the cb nicely behind the 4 the 2 will be wide open.

Again with behind the 7...looks too thick to go upto the top rail and snug behind the 7. The 2 would go past the 9, so again you mess up cb position and you leave a shot at the 2.

I'd stick to getting the 2 behind the 9 and not worry where the cb goes.

Diogenes

Silver Member
I'd like to see the stroke you use to avoid a double hit/push on the 2-9. Going to be a questionable leave 2 after the 2, 5 billiard.

Feather the two behind the 9, stick the cue ball behind the 4.

Exactly what I saw... both your shot selection and the chance of a questionable double hit/push on the 2-9. I can find several ways to easily hide the cue ball but any chance at dropping a "legal" shot is going to be a high risk and (in my opinion) bad shot choice. I wouldn't take the chance if I could get a legal hit on the 2 of leaving the 9 hanging for my opponent to have open season on this game after I choked on a low percentage shot.
That looks like the perfect safety shot to me.

Corey Deuel played the cueball into the 5 (double-kissing it in), the 2 into the 6 pocketing the 6 and almost making the 9 in the side. He left himself in nowheresville.

111.jpg

222.jpg

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey Deuel played the cueball into the 5 (double-kissing it in), the 2 into the 6 pocketing the 6 and almost making the 9 in the side. He left himself in nowheresville.

Did he elevate the cue much, so as to avoid a double hit on the 2 ball?

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The better question would be. How would you play this next shot? Not exactly an easy situation with lots of sell out safeties available.

Attachments

• Deuel Capture.JPG
    Deuel Capture.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

playdoubles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 364373

View attachment 364374

That shot has been my first consideration, but I changed my plan into the safety I described.

The shot Corey played is brave, but with the 2 so close, there was no guaranty that the 2 will bounce off the 9 in a way, that it'll stay close to the lower corner pocket (which I think was his intention) to continue the runout!

NOW we're faced with the problem TATE has described...

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I'm hittin' the two to the side rail and hooking ya behind the nine ball....it's a real simple shot to execute. Seeing the gap between the cue ball and the two I know I can easily control the speed of the two ball as I lag it too the side rail and out and leave ya only a kick from one of the two bottom rails.

Last edited:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The better question would be. How would you play this next shot? Not exactly an easy situation with lots of sell out safeties available.
My safety is pretty bad, but I'd probably choose the fullish half ball to leave the CB just behind or beside the 9, being wary to not over-hit it.... which means I'd probably under-hit it.