Should pros be allowed to rob amateur events?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
In my area pro Jason klatt is a local, and honesty when the buzz gets around that he's gonna play in our local $30 tournament we go from 30 guys to around 60! People want to step up and say they beat him! Also it gives the newcomers something to gauge themselves against. And with the exception of the very top pros most are very beatable in a race to 5!

Handicapping pool is like handicapping a running race! Let's give the out of shape beer drinker a lap and a half head start against world record setter Michael Johnson. If the fat guy happens to win what does it mean?? We need to stop rewarding mediocrity and start rewarding the true champions!

Sure enough, you have a great area for playing. They don't mind Sarah beating on them either.
Jason

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
What seems to work pretty well around here is setting tournaments up by skill level. One of the most popular tournaments is a MPS/Fargorate 499 and under. There are also 425 and under, 625 and under, etc. A player does not need to be over a certain threshold to be eligible, as long as they do not go over the maximum. Fargo is very well established here because we have been using MyPoolStats for at least 5-6 years now which is based off of Fargorate. We still have high level players complaining that they are rated too high for certain tournaments but the funny thing about it is when there is an open tournament they complainers are nowhere to be found. I think a certain amount of players just want to be able to for lack of a better word rob the lower level players and they avoid tournaments where they will face stiff competition.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why work for money, when you can play for it?

I have fallen for the ruse many times!
What seems to work pretty well around here is setting tournaments up by skill level. One of the most popular tournaments is a MPS/Fargorate 499 and under. There are also 425 and under, 625 and under, etc. A player does not need to be over a certain threshold to be eligible, as long as they do not go over the maximum. Fargo is very well established here because we have been using MyPoolStats for at least 5-6 years now which is based off of Fargorate. We still have high level players complaining that they are rated too high for certain tournaments but the funny thing about it is when there is an open tournament they complainers are nowhere to be found. I think a certain amount of players just want to be able to for lack of a better word rob the lower level players and they avoid tournaments where they will face stiff competition.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will never understand why we penalize players for being too good.

I'm just above terrible about once a week and I'm below terrible the rest of the week and I still enjoy when Shane Or Danny Olson shows up to one of our local tournaments. It's pretty rare to see Shane these days but Danny still shows up here and there and I haven't heard 1 player complain about it.

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ Wiley often plays at our local tourney. Some people complain but imo it's great having that level of competition for such a cheap entry. And considering they're short races, anyone that can break and run occasionally has a chance against even the top pros

JC

Coos Cues
This response doesn't address the original poster's question. I fear the wording of that question is not so conducive to a serious discussion.

Yet a serious discussion is taking place in spite of the verbiage.:)

I wasn't really thinking about weekly local tournaments although that's where it seems to have headed. I was talking about larger/longer amateur events where the majority of the contestants are taking time off of work to attend at no small expense. Food, travel, lodging, entry fees etc.

I have mixed feeling about it myself because I don't go to these just to win but mostly for the atmosphere and camaraderie and to get away from work. It doesn't bother me the way it is but I have heard a lot of opinions from people who it does. And they make valid points. That's all.

JC

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this good for the sport?

Here in the Northwest we have the nicest pro you would ever want to meet. He takes home a lot of the cheese from day job player events.

Is this right? If not where do you draw the line?

JC

It really depends on the format.
If it's a short race to 2 or 3 games, you may have a chance to win against a Pro.
If the races are to 7ish, you have very little chance.
If they use some type of handicap system, like Fargo, you may have a 7/3 race for example. This puts more pressure on the Pro to not miss a money ball.
So, winning against a Pro really depends on the format.

Another thing to think about....Will some guys show up to play just because they want to play a Pro? Usually the answer is, yes. This will get more guys in the tournament and ultimately means more money for the pool hall by selling food/drinks.

My own opinion, I think it helps the local tournies to have a Pro get involved. Especially if he sticks around and gives a few pointers to the lower rated guys.

poolscholar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I think it is good for the game, that pros play in smaller weekly tournaments. I think it is really cool.

For every player that thinks its cool, there is a player that won't show up.

I agree people SHOULD appreciate it, and it SHOULD benefit people's games, etc...but in reality it definitely kills turnouts. This concept also applies to all open events where there are a few people of much higher skill than the rest of the field. This is especially true when people need to travel and have expenses.

The fact that people will actually enter a tournament and have zero chance of winning shows the poor state of pool and its organization. There are good reasons most sports have divisions or handicaps.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It really depends on the format.
If it's a short race to 2 or 3 games, you may have a chance to win against a Pro.
If the races are to 7ish, you have very little chance.
If they use some type of handicap system, like Fargo, you may have a 7/3 race for example. This puts more pressure on the Pro to not miss a money ball.
So, winning against a Pro really depends on the format.

Another thing to think about....Will some guys show up to play just because they want to play a Pro? Usually the answer is, yes. This will get more guys in the tournament and ultimately means more money for the pool hall by selling food/drinks.

My own opinion, I think it helps the local tournies to have a Pro get involved.Especially if he sticks around and gives a few pointers
to the lower rated guys.

I've seen good players make people want to play...
..and I've seen good players make people not want to play.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen good players make people want to play...
..and I've seen good players make people not want to play.
Seeing how small the pool scene is and how world class players once struggled to get the first cue, the first cuebag etc and how many who`s helped them getting where they are today, it`s expected that they give back to the sport for free, it is in their own interest to motivate more people to play pool and for the people who allready play pool, to become better.
I`ve witnessed just what you are describing and sadly too many of the pro`s are selfish d***k`s who only serve their own interests.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been lucky enough to catch a few pros locally in cheap tourneys.Loved every minute of getting beat every time.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
it boils down to two types of players

1. one who is willing to lose money all the time at pool just so he can play and that's fine.

2. and the other who wants to win money overall, and also a subset of that, ones that want to get better and are willing to win or lose for the experience but not give away their cash.
this group will stop playing in places where it is obvious that they are donating.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Having a reward for playing high level pool is good for the game. When up and coming players see top players winning tournaments, making money, and traveling the world, it encourages them to want to get to that level. Watching top players quitting pool at early ages and getting jobs or switching to poker isn't good for the game.

10 years ago I was winning a lot of local tournaments. It was really good for my confidence, and I was able to make some extra money regionally. In turn I would fire at the US Open, Seminole events, etc. I had the funds to play and I had the confidence of having won the last couple of tournaments I had played in. I remember feeling like a winner, having a little spring in my step as I walked into the pool hall.

In the last 5 years I have all but quit playing locally due to the lack of open events. The local handicap tournaments have gotten to where the top players no longer have an edge. I have given up 3 games to 8 against players that can run multiple racks from the break. I lost, lost, and lost. It got to the point that it affected my confidence, I no longer felt like I was a good player that was going to come with the shot for the win, I just felt like I was a big guy with my hands tied together being picked on by people weaker than me. I forgot how to expect good things to happen. I finally decided not to play them anymore. Now I play only 1-2 tournaments that are open with no handicaps per year. Otherwise I practice in my basement.

I can't imagine that is good for pool. You can say that 'people won't play if it's not handicapped', but that might be because there is no longer a reason to put in your dues because there is no reward at the top. If the reward for being a top player is being barred or hogtied then why should they step up and try to get better?

In an ideal world there should be both a bottom down and a top up approach, meaning reward for being at the top and some things to encourage people to take a shot. But I really do believe the best encouragement for people to take a shot is a reward for being at the top.

Too bad I don't think that's possible anymore. One of the biggest rewards for being at the top when I was up and coming was being the man to beat. Being the best money player in the local scene, the one that stepped up to play the out of towners, the one that was always in the biggest action. It used to be they were like celebrities. Now no one cares, they can see better matches on YouTube and people that could never play at that level still think "Oh, he's nothing compared to Ko Pin Yi". I've seen the finals of tournaments go from packed crowds in the 90s to empty seats. Top on travel expenses, recession, poker, attention spans/technology, and whatever else you want to throw in and I don't think this is turning around.

So in short, yes, I do believe top players should be able to play in tournaments. But I have given up any and all expectations of that and it wouldn't surprise me if my town didn't even have a 9 foot table left in 10 years. If you play pool these days you'd better do it for love of hitting balls by yourself, because there ain't much else out there to gun for.

Tap tap tap

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're an amateur pool player only playing for money, take the time you spend at a pool table and go to work at McDonald's you will be farther ahead!

Play for enjoyment, play for competition, play for self improvement, but don't play to make money! The hours spent getting good enough to make money is lost opportunity to make lots of money with a regular job! Stay in school kids!

Education is important but Pool is importanter! Lol

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
THIS story is why you don't let pros play in small local tournaments. They destroyed the pool scene in this place, and for what? Chump change!

What do you expect is going to happen when "9 to 5 Bill" who maybe gets to play 2 hours of pool a week, if he's lucky, has to play a pro every time he's out playing? Is he magically going to get to pro standard? Is he going to quit his job and let his kids fend for themselves? All that stuff about "getting inspired" is just bull. A pro should consider it beneath them to try and rob people who can't hit the end rail! Personally I'd love to play pros (though the result would be much the same as with 9 to 5 Bill) but I and most people on this board are not typical of the pool world as a whole.

What may inspire "9-5 Bill" is to maybe beat that guy in the rival company, or be the best player in his office or whatever. What is getting blanked by Mika Immonen or Shane Van Boening every week going to do for his motivation? He has no chance to get to that level no matter what he does. Not everyone has ambitions of becoming the greatest player they can be. Some just want to have a little rivalry with their friends and blow off some steam.

Where I live pool is organized as a sport with skill level divisions. Since you Americans refuse to do things that way, your only option is to protect those small tournaments fiercely. If the local pros are hard up for cash, you can maybe organize a small "challenge the pro" tournament where they take on all comers in a race to 3 or something. Have some t-shirts for prices with "I beat (name of pro)" on them. Or refer people to the pros for lessons.

Isn't that what leagues are for?

Reactions: mvp

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like how it works (for the most part) in my area.

There are handicapped one night "fun" tournaments with tiny entries where you might win $150 for first.

Bigger weekend tournaments are staggered entry fees, but not handicap.... entry fee based on skill level, but the top people most often come out on top.... the lower players are okay with this and still come out.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They should not, however in the pool world 'professional' is meaningless.

See golf...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_golfer

And there it is.. pro’s play in these amature event’s becuase they have no choice. They are trying to make ends meet and in the world of pro pool that’s touch. Pro golfers don’t Play in local tournaments because they just don’t have to.. they have a tour and real money to play for.

Madnecity

Registered
This new ratings system has a major flaw. It doesn't reward good players for being good. There should be a max weight threshold. Otherwise, it's pure communism - the useless peasants hogtie the producers and rob them blind.