Photos from the Maryland 14.1 Championship

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are some photos from the 2009 Maryland 14.1 Championship.

Peter Burrows, the man who organizes this tournament.
CRW_3488.jpg

Grady Matthews.
CRW_3490.jpg

Some big time hustler from out of town. I didn't get his name. ;)
CRW_3491.jpg

Shaun Wilkie.
CRW_3498.jpg

Mike Davis.
CRW_3501.jpg

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More Photos

Rick Molinero, the room owner and a good player.
CRW_3515.jpg

Mike Dechaine.
CRW_3519.jpg

Jeanette Lee.
CRW_3521.jpg

CRW_3523.jpg

Bob Chamberlain.
CRW_3527.jpg

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice pics. I have a question. The first photo of Peter Burrows it looks like he has an old cue. Do you know what it is ?

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Nice pics. I have a question. The first photo of Peter Burrows it looks like he has an old cue. Do you know what it is ?

My guess is that it is a Rambow. I believe his father was a friend of Willie Mosconi's; and there is some sort of story associated with this cue (??? a gift to Peter from Mosconi, or something his father had made for him, or something that was made to be like Willie's.....there was an article in some Chicago newspaper about this I think.....hell, I have NO idea what I'm talking about but someone else will....probably alinco knows).

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My guess is that it is a Rambow. I believe his father was a friend of Willie Mosconi's; and there is some sort of story associated with this cue (??? a gift to Peter from Mosconi, or something his father had made for him, or something that was made to be like Willie's.....there was an article in some Chicago newspaper about this I think.....hell, I have NO idea what I'm talking about but someone else will....probably alinco knows).

I don't know the story, but the cue is definitely a Rambow. In fact, Peter told me he has two Rambow cues and both were made specifically for him.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
thanks a lot for posting the pics. They are great. And now I know how Steve Lipsky looks like :D

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great pictures as always, Rich. Thanks for sharing them.

Scott <<== loves the non-posed intensity of these shots

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Who won? Are there results available somewhere? How did that out-of-town hustler do? I am especially interested in his matches, I like those undercover-hustlers :)

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Who won? Are there results available somewhere? How did that out-of-town hustler do? I am especially interested in his matches, I like those undercover-hustlers :)
Copied from the AZB payouts page http://www.azbilliards.com/thepros/2000showtourney2009.php?eventnum=249:
1st place Danny Harriman $4,000.00
2nd place Dave Daya $2,400.00
3rd place Jeanette Lee $900.00
3rd place Zion Zvi $900.00
5th place Bob Maidhof $650.00
6th place Eddie Hodan $625.00
7th place Mike Dechaine $575.00
8th place Brandon Shuff $550.00
9th place Steve Lipsky $425.00
10th place Mike Davis $400.00
11th place Mark Ford $375.00
12th place Bob Chamberlain $350.00
13th place Bobby Hunter $325.00
14th place Alan Duty $300.00
15th place Steve Haag $275.00
16th place Ryan McCreesh $250.00

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Where is Grady???

Copied from the AZB payouts page http://www.azbilliards.com/thepros/2000showtourney2009.php?eventnum=249:
1st place Danny Harriman $4,000.00
2nd place Dave Daya $2,400.00
3rd place Jeanette Lee $900.00
3rd place Zion Zvi $900.00
5th place Bob Maidhof $650.00
6th place Eddie Hodan $625.00
7th place Mike Dechaine $575.00
8th place Brandon Shuff $550.00
9th place Steve Lipsky $425.00
10th place Mike Davis $400.00
11th place Mark Ford $375.00
12th place Bob Chamberlain $350.00
13th place Bobby Hunter $325.00
14th place Alan Duty $300.00
15th place Steve Haag $275.00
16th place Ryan McCreesh $250.00

You mean a 1-3 record didn't get Grady into the finals!!! I guess the 100-5loss to Maidhof narrowly edged him out of the final 16 in a field of 40 that included amateurs!!!

Peter Burrows

Rambow cue

Yes, my father was a good friend of Mosconi, and he visited our home from time to time when he was in Chicago playing. On one occasion when I was about 12 I played an exhibition with him at the old Bensingers room on Randolph Street in Chicago. Also a few times at our family home where we had an old Brunswick 9 ft. table. About 1949 or 50. My dad asked him about the cue that he used and he took us one day to Mr. Herman Rambow's shop, which was on Dearborn (later moved to Keefe & Hammer on Wabash). Mr. Rambow was quite unusual, and just a marvelous shop; very quaint. I am always reminded of the Joseph Conrad story "Quality". My dad had a cue made identical to the one Mosconi used, that was 1952. In 1954 when I was 15 Mr. Rambow made a cue for me, and it is the one that I play with today still. Old style, larger butt than those today, but it still plays pretty good and I am definitely too old to change. My cue was different from my dad's, and I asked Rambow to not put a rubber bumber on the bottom, which I thought detracted from the appearance. It has the original ivory but plate and inlays; everything original and with my name, as Rambow always did on his cues. Just a wonderful cue for sure, as is my fathers which I also still have. My cue at that time cost about $60. I was making about $30. a week that summer house painting, so not too bad! A few years later in college I again played some exhibition games with Willie. Peter Burrows

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
You mean a 1-3 record didn't get Grady into the finals!!! I guess the 100-5loss to Maidhof narrowly edged him out of the final 16 in a field of 40 that included amateurs!!!

Wow, this is extremely immature. Did Grady do something to get under your skin?
MULLY

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Yes, my father was a good friend of Mosconi, and he visited our home from time to time when he was in Chicago playing. On one occasion when I was about 12 I played an exhibition with him at the old Bensingers room on Randolph Street in Chicago. Also a few times at our family home where we had an old Brunswick 9 ft. table. About 1949 or 50. My dad asked him about the cue that he used and he took us one day to Mr. Herman Rambow's shop, which was on Dearborn (later moved to Keefe & Hammer on Wabash). Mr. Rambow was quite unusual, and just a marvelous shop; very quaint. I am always reminded of the Joseph Conrad story "Quality". My dad had a cue made identical to the one Mosconi used, that was 1952. In 1954 when I was 15 Mr. Rambow made a cue for me, and it is the one that I play with today still. Old style, larger butt than those today, but it still plays pretty good and I am definitely too old to change. My cue was different from my dad's, and I asked Rambow to not put a rubber bumber on the bottom, which I thought detracted from the appearance. It has the original ivory but plate and inlays; everything original and with my name, as Rambow always did on his cues. Just a wonderful cue for sure, as is my fathers which I also still have. My cue at that time cost about $60. I was making about $30. a week that summer house painting, so not too bad! A few years later in college I again played some exhibition games with Willie. Peter Burrows

Photos would be appreciated by all.
MULLY

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, this is extremely immature. Did Grady do something to get under your skin?
MULLY

Considering the multiple threads about Grady and the so called "World Championship", I think Wedge was just pointing out the truth.