Maybe more than 1/4 of the balls I miss would fall on a GC

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It can be irritating, but what can you do but practice more, play better shape, and shoot straighter.

I see it happens to the pros too, just not as frequently.

Glad it's not just me.

Anyone play victim to Diamond tight pockets and deep shelf on a regular basis?

2yjy1bt.jpg

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And people wonder why pros don’t play fast anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel you. I have a Procut Diamond that’s 20 feet from a swimming pool, in FL. When I shoot on a GC, the same size pocket width feels like getting into a soft bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
That's why its called a Procut. It's not for everyone.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone play victim to Diamond tight pockets and deep shelf on a regular basis?

I do because the hall I play in has tight diamond pockets. It's the only time I ever play on them and it's 14.1. The game is not that fun playing on these tables.

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are killers! I have a valley bar table with ridgeback professional cushions and they are just as bad if not worse

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pro-cut is 4.5 inches. With new cloth installed for most pro events, 4.5" pockets play more like 4 5/8" pockets. But after that cloth picks up a little chalk dust/grime, balls begin to hang a little easier if not hit well. I have a buddy that often says, "That would've gone on a different table!" My reply is always the same...."If you'd have hit it better it would've gone on this table." :wink:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Absolutly, it is also true that the pockets get tighter as the bet goes up.

:thumbup:

Pro-cut is 4.5 inches. With new cloth installed for most pro events, 4.5" pockets play more like 4 5/8" pockets. But after that cloth picks up a little chalk dust/grime, balls begin to hang a little easier if not hit well. I have a buddy that often says, "That would've gone on a different table!" My reply is always the same...."If you'd have hit it better it would've gone on this table." :wink:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds nice. My nearest pool hall has 9’ Diamond ProAm with 4 1/8” pockets. Now THAT is punishing. When I rattle a ball on it, my emotions take it as a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love having people over that are really use to a GC.

They about have a stroke before they adjust.

Not dissing GC, I'm a GC fan but, facts are facts.

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel your pain! If you have to draw hard on a rail riding shot, chances are good that it will rattle. I think its because the location where the ball hits on the shims is still well over the shelf. If they bounce off hard enough, then never make it over the lip, or if there is some spin picked up by the rail. They say hit the back of the pocket, but obviously that's not possible from a shot riding near the rail. Soft rolling it in (pocket speed) can work, but it limits your options on position for shots you have to hit hard enough for multiple rails to the next shot. well..this is what I experience anyway.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
WPA and BCA should really examine their stupid 141* angle specifications .
It really needs to be a few degrees under that .

When the object ball is close to the side rail. you can hit the center of that pocket, but if you have some outside spin and some speed on the cue ball, those corner pockets still spit out balls that hit the center of the pocket .

That's why Ernesto reduces that angle when he tightens Gold Crown tables .

WPA, BCA and Diamond will probably never listen.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

I have a 1924 Brunswick Madison, 9ft. Years ago I extended the slate shelf for the corners using fiberglass, made them deep like a Diamond table. I then shimmed the pockets to 4 3/8. It plays very tough. The things some of us have to do to account for not having a Diamond table...sheesh. :embarrassed2:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I feel your pain! If you have to draw hard on a rail riding shot, chances are good that it will rattle. I think its because the location where the ball hits on the shims is still well over the shelf. If they bounce off hard enough, then never make it over the lip, or if there is some spin picked up by the rail. They say hit the back of the pocket, but obviously that's not possible from a shot riding near the rail. Soft rolling it in (pocket speed) can work, but it limits your options on position for shots you have to hit hard enough for multiple rails to the next shot. well..this is what I experience anyway.

I guarantee you on ANY Diamond table you can line up 4 balls against the side rail at the head end of the table, shoot the combination at break speed, and the ball shot into the corner pocket is going to drop....why is that? When player complaints are about the pockets being so tight a d projecting balls so badly....why can that shot be made???

JoeyInCali

Silver Member

It has nothing to do with GC's.
If you have GC's done with Diamond's pockets, they will rattle too.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I guarantee you on ANY Diamond table you can line up 4 balls against the side rail at the head end of the table, shoot the combination at break speed, and the ball shot into the corner pocket is going to drop....why is that? When player complaints are about the pockets being so tight a d projecting balls so badly....why can that shot be made???

That's pointless.
We know throw does not transfer to the second ball .

Try a ball away from the cushion and slam it to the center of the pocket .

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Glen,

Do you remember the pocket angles used on my GC?

Diamond specs?