Brunswick Superspeed Cushions

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Put the cue ball on the headstring about nine inches from the side rail. Hit that side rail about two diamond up from the far corner pocket. The third cushion is the other side rail pretty near the other head pocket. The order is:

side, far end, other side, near end, side, far end, other side, side, near end

On carom tables with new cloth it is possible to get 11 rails when the 8th and 9th rail are in the other order, but I've never seen a pool table go that long or far.
Is that because pool tables have inconsistent cushions and carom tables have consistent cushions as stated previously?

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Not really:
Thinner cloth and heavier balls on carom tables is the reason they can travel further

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

mikewhy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put the cue ball on the headstring about nine inches from the side rail. Hit that side rail about two diamond up from the far corner pocket. The third cushion is the other side rail pretty near the other head pocket. The order is:

side, far end, other side, near end, side, far end, other side, side, near end

On carom tables with new cloth it is possible to get 11 rails when the 8th and 9th rail are in the other order, but I've never seen a pool table go that long or far.
Thanks Bob. (No pool table handy...) Is that the 4-1 line, in the Corner-5 system?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bob. (No pool table handy...) Is that the 4-1 line, in the Corner-5 system?

No, it's about the 8-1 line. You have to hit very close to the second corner. More or less like this:

CropperCapture[39].png

Last edited:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Inconsistent rails on pool tables are by design?

If you are asking if someone designs them to be inconsistent on purpose, I would say no. Unless there is some strange conspiracy that I'm unaware of lol.

or
Have Pool Table cushions always been inconsistent and we learned how to adapt as part of the game?

The pool table cushions themselves have not always been inconsistent, but they are so frequently redesigned and reformulated by so many companies (or installed badly) that players are always having to adjust from table to table, from year to year, and decade to decade.

And strangely enough, cushions are to a certain extent "perishable", which can change rubber consistency over a somewhat short period of time in a less than perfect environment. This ads yet another possible inconsistency that players must account for.

Has 3C always had consistent cushions compared to pool tables?
Even back in the day?

3C cushion consistency is not unlike the pool cushion scenario, except that the healthier construction of carom tables helps them to perform more accurately than the average pool table.

A 3C table with pool cushions would be unpredictable and unplayable, correct?

Due to the heavier larger balls, yeah pretty much lol.

Would a pool table with 3C cushions be playable but too predictable to be enjoyed?

Playable ? hmmmm sorta. But I doubt you'd enjoy it. Predictable? Well, once you got used to it, yeah lol

No wonder Pool is so difficult to play!

oldroller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Professor

I know a college professor that ruin a collector car trying do do bodywork,,But I can't call him a dumbass:):):)

Colormegone2002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did i see that 9 rail or 7 rail shot on tv? They would shoot that shot and see who could land nearest or ON the !00 dollar bill

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Did i see that 9 rail or 7 rail shot on tv? They would shoot that shot and see who could land nearest or ON the !00 dollar bill

I don't know but in the old Meucci video with Rempe and Lori Jon Jones ( then ), they show that shot and it landed on a small piece of paper.
It was a black table and I don't what kind it was.

I'd like to see a video of it done on a Diamond and GC4.

mikewhy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, it's about the 8-1 line. You have to hit very close to the second corner. More or less like this:

View attachment 466052
Many thanks. It played very close to how you diagrammed on my GC3 +Super Speeds. I wondered, with all this gnashing, if maybe mine wasn't quite right. I'm quite satisfied now.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the CB hit me in the balls trying to get 9 rails at the pool hall 15 years ago. True story! Ha ha.

We started on the first rail with the CB frozen to it.

mikewhy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the CB hit me in the balls trying to get 9 rails at the pool hall 15 years ago. True story! Ha ha.

We started on the first rail with the CB frozen to it.
It's a useful lesson, to not hit down on the cue with force without intending that.

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerimy,
I've name dropped you several times in this forum. I hope you don't mind. My dad died a few moths ago. My siblings and I sold the house. Circumstances are such that I couldn't bring the table to my new place. I sold it to AZ member "Jazzboxblues."

Anyhow; I LOVED HOW THAT TABLE PLAYED THAT YOU WORKED ON FOR ME! IT PLAYED FABULOUSLY! You took an unassembled used GC IV I bought used, extended the sub rails and made the corner pockets 4 - 3/8". You installed Artemis cushions and Simonis HR.

THOSE POCKETS PLAYED GREAT! I loved the fact that there was nothing namby - pamby or wishy - washy about things! The balls either went in cleanly or were firmly rejected. If I was close, but not quite accurate enough, the ball would rattle between the points, stop between them, and stay right there.

It was like the pocket was telling me, "Hey - you were close. Close ain't good enough in this game and I'm not giving you anything for free. That's the way you wanted it, isn't it?" I theorized recently in a post in another thread that I thought when the ball went in cleanly, one of the reasons was the hardness of the facings. It seemed to me, when the ball hit the point with a certain percentage of the mass of the ball on the side of the pocket, the hardness of the facings and the subsequent lack of spring emitting from them, caused the ball to go almost straight backwards into the pocket, making the length of the shelf irrelevant.

I don't know anything about pool tables. My theory could well be all wrong. All I know is I loved the way the ball either went in cleanly or was firmly rejected. Very rarely did a ball teeter on the lip. There might be some who dig teetering...not me!

The banking was SUPERB! In the 3 years I played on that table I grew to love attempting 3 cushion shots. It's become one of my favorite aspects of the game. Without the precision and consistency of those cushions this wouldn't be the case.

All in all.....I hope you don't mind me name - dropping you every now and then!