The Cold Case of Biloxi Mike Surber's Murder

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of the outcome of this, I would like to publicly thank Ray Hansen for his tireless efforts over these many years in keeping Mike Surber's murder in the public eye.

Thank you Ray!

JoeyA

Thanks Ray

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bitter Sweet

Thanks to everyone for the kind words but there are many involved in keeping the flame burning to catch this person.

Here is the latest updates that we can share:

We have someone who is certain that the man in the security video IS their family member. Everything fits. The relative is a career criminal and about the right age. This means we now have a name. They also shared a mugshot of their family member. It does appear to be him. The problem we have is the mugshot is from 1999 and the family hasn't seen or heard from him in over 8 yrs!

We had another member of the Facebook group, Catch a Killer, that ran the name through the NCIC system. We got a hit!! The man is incarcerated but WAS not at the time of murder! The problem was the photo attached to that name. The family member does not think this one is him. :(

Several things could be going on here. 1. They system could have the incorrect photo attached. 2. The man's appearance could be different due to Meth. (what he was arrested for. 3. It could be the wrong person with same name.

Captain Jackson with the Ocean Springs PD is looking into all possibilities. In the meantime we should stay vigilant. Keep spreading the poster. Keep looking out for possible matches.

The good news is we still have someone who is certain that the perp is their family member and even if the person who came up on the NCIC isn't the guy, we can continue efforts to locate the person's family member.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

Ray

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to everyone for the kind words but there are many involved in keeping the flame burning to catch this person.

Here is the latest updates that we can share:

We have someone who is certain that the man in the security video IS their family member. Everything fits. The relative is a career criminal and about the right age. This means we now have a name. They also shared a mugshot of their family member. It does appear to be him. The problem we have is the mugshot is from 1999 and the family hasn't seen or heard from him in over 8 yrs!

We had another member of the Facebook group, Catch a Killer, that ran the name through the NCIC system. We got a hit!! The man is incarcerated but WAS not at the time of murder! The problem was the photo attached to that name. The family member does not think this one is him. :(

Several things could be going on here. 1. They system could have the incorrect photo attached. 2. The man's appearance could be different due to Meth. (what he was arrested for. 3. It could be the wrong person with same name.

Captain Jackson with the Ocean Springs PD is looking into all possibilities. In the meantime we should stay vigilant. Keep spreading the poster. Keep looking out for possible matches.

The good news is we still have someone who is certain that the perp is their family member and even if the person who came up on the NCIC isn't the guy, we can continue efforts to locate the person's family member.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

Ray

That is good news. This sounds promising. Keep up the good work.

Are they still waiting on the dna results for Genes man?

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of the outcome of this, I would like to publicly thank Ray Hansen for his tireless efforts over these many years in keeping Mike Surber's murder in the public eye.

Thank you Ray!

JoeyA

Thanks to you and Jenny Ann too. You two kept this atrocity in the front of everybody's mind.

This is a good community.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Well done Jam, Ray, Joey A, and all the other people that worked to bring Mike's murderer to justice and to those that helped keep it on the front burner. Sounds like you got him cornered. Johnnyt

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bud Light lead is useless since it's the most popular beer sold.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

No detail should be deemed useless. ANY notion that someone has that a person seen MIGHT be this guy, please share with us, Catch A Killer on Facebook or Captain Jackson with the Ocean Spring PD or CrimeStoppers.

Attachments

• wanted_mike_surber2 smaller.jpg
    wanted_mike_surber2 smaller.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,111

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Bud Light lead is useless since it's the most popular beer sold.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

How many people while drinking a Bud Lite with their right hand and put their left hand in their front pants pocket. That's a habit that is pretty unusual.

Also, this person has a habit of not paying his tab at the bar. Sometimes uses a bogus credit card to make out like he wants to pay the tab. Bartenders would remember a guy like this, especially the owner of the establishment. Add in that unique pocket billiard stance of his and someone would recognize this guy.

PUT THE POSTER OF HIM ON YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE.

JoeyA

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
I am happy to hear about the progress in this case. Without leads the cases get forgotten by police. Without people like family and friends they go cold too.

Thanks to everyone here who continues to be vigilant and keep Mike Surber in their mind and daily thoughts.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I wanted to add something to the thread which is very important to a situation like this.

Everyone wants to see Mike's killer brought to justice. However, this is a relatively small police department, and some people have already worn out their welcome directly calling them and continuing to talk about people who look like this guy does.

I suggest that if Ray wants to, or someone else wants to, that they are the only one who makes contact with the department and then if the department wants to follow up, then Ray could pass out that information.

These departments get spooked really easily, and can go from helping to not taking your phone call in a second.

Lastly, I cannot stress enough the "mistaken identity" factor where people are the most fallible piece of this puzzle. The studies and situations are too numerous to post here, but we all want to think we've seen this guy, and the truth is maybe one or 2 of us actually have.

Prime example is a picture like this
http://fanpix.famousfix.com/gallery/kevin-gage/p17375583

Kevin has had many roles in movies and mostly looked like the pic that Ray posted.

Since investigations are my life, if I can help I will. Albeit I am a long way from there. Boots on the ground help for ruling out people or gathering evidence. Maybe along the way a liaison would be the way to go in order to work with the police down there in a result. They just don't have the manpower to re-interview everyone, compare stories, and run down potential dead ends or leads.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wanted to add something to the thread which is very important to a situation like this.

Everyone wants to see Mike's killer brought to justice. However, this is a relatively small police department, and some people have already worn out their welcome directly calling them and continuing to talk about people who look like this guy does.

I suggest that if Ray wants to, or someone else wants to, that they are the only one who makes contact with the department and then if the department wants to follow up, then Ray could pass out that information.

These departments get spooked really easily, and can go from helping to not taking your phone call in a second.

Lastly, I cannot stress enough the "mistaken identity" factor where people are the most fallible piece of this puzzle. The studies and situations are too numerous to post here, but we all want to think we've seen this guy, and the truth is maybe one or 2 of us actually have.

Prime example is a picture like this
http://fanpix.famousfix.com/gallery/kevin-gage/p17375583

Kevin has had many roles in movies and mostly looked like the pic that Ray posted.

Since investigations are my life, if I can help I will. Albeit I am a long way from there. Boots on the ground help for ruling out people or gathering evidence. Maybe along the way a liaison would be the way to go in order to work with the police down there in a result. They just don't have the manpower to re-interview everyone, compare stories, and run down potential dead ends or leads.

Best lead that I've heard of is the one were a family member gave him a name. Said the guy in the picture IS their close family relative. I've seen the photo and I agree. I will share more as possible.

Ray

GreenFeltguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's bring this Scumbag to justice

Those of us lucky enough to know Mike Surber would really be happy if that piece of garbage that murdered Mike would be brought to justice and presented to Big Bubba as a roommate for the rest of his life.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
bump

Will this SOB ever get caught? :angry:

Closing in on another holiday season and Mike Surber deserves some justice.

best,
brian kc

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone posted this today on a Facebook buy/sell/trade page in my area. A bit of a resemblance to Surber’s killer, no?

**edit- photo removed as doc does not think this man is the killer.

Last edited:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven't seen the old pics in a long time, too long … but from what I remember that dude does look like the killer.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone posted this today on a Facebook buy/sell/trade page in my area. A bit of a resemblance to Surber’s killer, no?

That's a pretty heavy resemblance from the wanted poster just a few posts above on this page.
If the authorities ever collected any suspect DNA from the murder scene...maybe a cigarette butt, then they should be able to do a cross check when they catch this miscreant.

Very good diligence to whoever is still watching out for Mike's justice.