How to Make a Fair Pool Bet between Strangers?

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys that travel around playing in tournaments as professionals. Aren't they "touring pros"? Isn't it the pro tour? What is SVB is he isn't a "touring pro"? I come from the golf world, maybe that term is reserved for the pro golfers. I'll work harder on the correct terminology for pool.

Ha, there are about a half dozen making a living at playing pool. The rest have jobs, and backers.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys that travel around playing in tournaments as professionals. Aren't they "touring pros"? Isn't it the pro tour? What is SVB is he isn't a "touring pro"? I come from the golf world, maybe that term is reserved for the pro golfers. I'll work harder on the correct terminology for pool.

Who is the touring pro you play against?

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There is no equivalent to the pro golfers tour in the pool world. Some actually find that attractive in the pool world. Some would love a "pro pool players tour" to legitimize the game. Even in pool's heyday there was no organized pro tour. The closest we might have come to a pro tour were organized exhibitions way back when. Maybe Mr. Bond could weigh in on this.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I drunk text from time to time.....
That's when I make bad games.
But I always back up the offer and then..... take my beating! Lol

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't know Oregon had any "touring pros". LOL There is no "pro tour"...just a few tournaments around the country where most of the pros show up to play. Doubtful your guy is among them. SVB is just the best professional player in America...that's all.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're looking for 'fair' in a pool room, you're in the wrong place.
To my experience , there 3 ways to play strangers .
1. play cheap ( in my day that was $10 a game 9 ball ).
Watch how he handles whitey. Most 'hustlers ( most are dead )
will let you get them stuck trying to stall ( bad way to do it ).
Then they try to raise the bet. By then , you should know if you can win.
2. tell'em to bet something ( $40-$50 a game in 1 hole or race to 7 for $100 9 ball ).
Take a 2-3 game shot at'em and see if you can win....nice to have a partner
if you can, He usually won't stall.
3. Get a line on him. In this day and age, its usually easy to do. Cel, web, pool grapevine, pool detective , etc...lol.

Good luck

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get it

Why in the hell would you want a fair game. I want to be stealing.
jack

JC

Coos Cues

Ha, there are about a half dozen making a living at playing pool. The rest have jobs, and backers.

I didn't know Oregon had any "touring pros". LOL There is no "pro tour"...just a few tournaments around the country where most of the pros show up to play. Doubtful your guy is among them. SVB is just the best professional player in America...that's all.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I agree that if playing pool is your only source of income you're a pro. Doesn't mean you can beat all the other pros all the time though. No one does that. Not even Shane. There is a guy in Salem who fits this description who has beat many a pro who didn't play as well that day.

Better have a girlfriend with a job though:eek:

JC

BigAlTheTiger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
handicap

Like my gambling golf buddy used to say: " I'll play anybody for any amount (he called money units) if the bet is fair". That was easy because most people have handicaps in golf and his was +4. How do two strangers, to each other, make a "fair and even" bet in pool? Like I've said before; when I used to play pool for money, back when I had none, my talent was instantly recognizing who was better and I moved to another table. I have zero interest in giving a better player my money unless I can justify it as a cheap lesson.

Don't believe that all golfers reflect their true handicap.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Like my gambling golf buddy used to say: " I'll play anybody for any amount (he called money units) if the bet is fair". That was easy because most people have handicaps in golf and his was +4. How do two strangers, to each other, make a "fair and even" bet in pool? Like I've said before; when I used to play pool for money, back when I had none, my talent was instantly recognizing who was better and I moved to another table. I have zero interest in giving a better player my money unless I can justify it as a cheap lesson.

Gambling and business are identical. If ya wanna make a fair game, develop a relationship with this person FIRST, like you would with a new gal ya met. Don't go for the throat, think long term and talk with each other, then match up. If someone is still hesitant, then bet small and go from there. You'll find out quickly who's hidin' under the sheets by doing it in this manner.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gambling and business are identical. If ya wanna make a fair game, develop a relationship with this person FIRST, like you would with a new gal ya met. Don't go for the throat, think long term and talk with each other, then match up. If someone is still hesitant, then bet small and go from there. You'll find out quickly who's hidin' under the sheets by doing it in this manner.

Yeah but in a poolroom when this happens between two guys it's called woofin and one usually turns into a nit. Don't see the correlation. Play even for cheap. One's gonna win and ones gonna lose.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Yeah but in a poolroom when this happens between two guys it's called woofin and one usually turns into a nit. Don't see the correlation. Play even for cheap. One's gonna win and ones gonna lose.

If you enjoy the other persons actions then proceed, if you don't like the Alpha dog in the Blonde headed bar bimbo who's past er prime still looking good & liquored up, turn and walk.

Woofin', some like it some don't, depends on the Woof, others find greener pastures, depends on YOU.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
What's with this "fair game" malarkey?
Is everybody whose looking for a fair game trying to break even?

I've heard this "fair game nonsense" numerous times over the years.
When somebody would loudly proclaim they were just looking for a fair game, sometimes
I would tell them to keep their money in their pocket and let everybody else keep theirs.

I was considered good action, didn't cheat, called my own fouls, and paid cash when I lost.
...but if I ever caught myself looking for a fair game, I would've quit gambling....
....like when I play poker, I'm looking for an edge...sometimes I'm just not smart enough
to recognize when I don't have it....so I gotta pay.

For those who insist that they have a right to a fair game..play in handicap tournaments.
...but be prepared for someone playing over their head...or under their ability...
....and sometimes that 'someone' is you.

ric23

no stroke!!!
Silver Member
Play a few cheap sets and adjust as needed based on the results. You'll know soon enough if you made a bad bet. I used to play one pocket with a young fireball who shoots lights out. Even up I could wine maybe 1 out of 4 games, losing like 8-3 or 8-4 regularly. We agreed tp play 9-7 for a few games and I wore him out winning 7-2 and 7-3 most games. Some times a little adjustment goes a long way. You protect yourself, don't bet anything you can't afford to lose, and don't let pride convince you that you can win when you can't.

I agree. Specially on one pocket.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
What's with this "fair game" malarkey?
Is everybody whose looking for a fair game trying to break even?

I've heard this "fair game nonsense" numerous times over the years.
When somebody would loudly proclaim they were just looking for a fair game, sometimes
I would tell them to keep their money in their pocket and let everybody else keep theirs.

I was considered good action, didn't cheat, called my own fouls, and paid cash when I lost.
...but if I ever caught myself looking for a fair game, I would've quit gambling....
....like when I play poker, I'm looking for an edge...sometimes I'm just not smart enough
to recognize when I don't have it....so I gotta pay.

For those who insist that they have a right to a fair game..play in handicap tournaments.
...but be prepared for someone playing over their head...or under their ability...
....and sometimes that 'someone' is you.

Here's an analogy; we are each members of Bushwood country club. I shoot 75 regularly, and you can't break 90. How many times will you play me straight up for $100 @ round? 1, 5, 10? Didn't think so.... It's the same thing on a pool table.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gambling with strangers for anything that you would consider expensive is high risk unless you play shortstop speed or better. It will still take a few barrels to find out where you stand.

If you play under that speed your foolish, hate money, or love the thrill that much.

If you play what you would consider cheap or even affordable your motivations should reflect the price.

Playing for what you would consider large sums, with an unknown to you, only makes sense to me if you believe your the best around.

Fair game, lol. Who wants that?

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
i like to take the worst of it, then see if i can outrun it! But pool is not my income.

I try to play the best guy in the room, even, for the least amount they will play their best for. If that number is too high for me, ill play the next best.