Efren Reyes Questions

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I have been thinking for some time now that if I had Efren in the right situation, I might ask him some different questions.

If you had 5 minutes and 5 minutes only, with Efren Reyes and you could ask him anything you wanted to ask him, what would it be?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this. It could be on a specific shot, his family, aiming, shooting, banking, kicking or not even about pool.

One of my questions would be concerning what he is thinking about when he is looking at a SPECIFIC, AND difficult shot. (Is he relying entirely on past experience, the diamond system, or is he using a personal system that works for him, if so, which one and how does it work for him?)
Thanks,

JoeyA

Sam Waltz

My way...
Silver Member
Question...

Efren is the epitome of skill, professionalism and humility within our sport. I know this won't interest all members, but I'd personally love to know more about his primary family members who molded his personality into what it is today. It's been a pleasure to see this man perform for us, but I'd like to think there would be interest in knowing more about him on a personal level.

Anyone got plans for a biography of the magician? :thumbup:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been thinking for some time now that if I had Efren in the right situation, I might ask him some different questions.

If you had 5 minutes and 5 minutes only, with Efren Reyes and you could ask him anything you wanted to ask him, what would it be?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this. It could be on a specific shot, his family, aiming, shooting, banking, kicking or not even about pool.

One of my questions would be concerning what he is thinking about when he is looking at a SPECIFIC, AND difficult shot. (Is he relying entirely on past experience, the diamond system, or is he using a personal system that works for him, if so, which one and how does it work for him?)
Thanks,

JoeyA

I dont think it matters what you ask him, he still only answers what he wants which seems to be quite limited possibly due to his lack of confidence in English. I think you are better off asking him in Tagalog and translating. JMO.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I would like to know who Efren says his teacher/mentor was. Who does he look up to ---as far as new talent and his contemporaries? Finally, JoeyA's question needs to be answered as well.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
What are the details (members cut, percentage) of the Filipino Corporation?
Is Jose Parica included? what about Francisco?
Santos, Dennis, Gandy and Warren K. may have some sort of Corporation going with winnings divided amongst these players on a percentage basis. No one goes broke on a trip to the states.

I'd like to know

The Beginner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lee Van Corteza told us at the DErby this year that his Maestro *Efren Reyes* told him that the secret of becoming a great pool player is....................................................................Practice! :eek:

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd ask him to explain his theory on castling! :thumbup:

actually I might like to chat with him about his thoughts on game making, how and when to adjust, and I'd like to pick his brain about 1 pocket theory.

after that I"d buy him dinner and ask for 11/4 and probably lose a knot in the process :embarrassed2:

G.

stormshadow1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren questions

I would ask him about some of his early mentors and his pre-shot routine.Also I would ask him to show me some of his favorite safety moves if we had access to a table.

JoeyA

Silver Member
Excellente!

WOW!

These first several questions and observations are EXCELLENT!

Does anyone have any more?

Thanks,
JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
I really liked the question about what he would do if he couldn't play pool.

That's cool, but Tigerseye already has dibs on that one.

Come with an original question. At the DCC you plied me with enough questions to fill a book. ;)

I know, I know, I know; you've already asked Efren everything under the sun, but you do walk around with a shirt, that begs, "What would Efren do?" :D
JoeyA

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
That's cool, but Tigerseye already has dibs on that one.

Come with an original question. At the DCC you plied me with enough questions to fill a book. ;)

I know, I know, I know; you've already asked Efren everything under the sun, but you do walk around with a shirt, that begs, "What would Efren do?" :D
JoeyA

Ok ok...

With him being "ranked" as one of the top 60 asian heroes, by Time Magazine, http://anitokid.blogspot.com/2008/03/filipino-pool-player-efren-bata-reyes.html, I would be interested in knowing if he has plans to use this "influence and power" to work with charity to somehow help poor people in the Philippines getting food on the table every day, education, proper medical help etc.

I am sure he could change the life of many kids in the Philippines, and I would love to see him promote both pool and Philippines in some kind of charity work together with for example Unicef.

His legendary status would, if possible, be even higher in the Philippines if he decides to spend the rest of his life playing pool for charity, doing exhibitions etc.

Would be very interesting to talk properly with him about this, and I most likely will next time I meet him :)

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
What routine, observation, system (whatever it is called) does he use to test a table before he plays on it?

ccshrimper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd ask him how he really matched up with the top Americans over the years and how the new younger Americans match up with the top players from the Phillipines. Did he really lay down on that match with Buddy or was Buddy the only American at the time who could play him even? Can SVB or Archer match up with less than the 7 ball from Dennis?

I'd like to know the real matchups.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to know more about his upbringing in pool. I'd like to know more of the story about the famous Red's tournament in Houston. I think everyone has commented about it that was there except him. I think I'd enjoy his point of view.