Your favorite TAR match...

sidepocket7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first TAR match I bought was when Shane played Scott at Big Dogs in Des Moine. I was hooked. At that time, I was just starting to open my eyes to more and better play than what my local APA had to offer. I learned a lot from all those matches. By far, my favorite match was when SVB Horse F'd Dechaine. He was an absolute machine. I wanna buy that one.What are your favs?...

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
SVB/Alex at the derby gambling 10 ball streamed by TAR and DVD's made of the match. Johnnyt

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
SVB vs Alex on the Fatboy rails.

I was pulling for Alex the whole way and Alex shot insanely good, but he could not keep his leads and SVB ran large packages (a 7 and 6 pack) at the end of night 1 and night 2 to take the lead at the end of each night and then won it on night 3.

Both players shot phenomenal. If only Alex could have broken better, he lost it on that shot alone.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
My favorite one was the one where Alex comes back from 23 racks down to beat Shane.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

nb92

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play... race to 100 Alex / Shane .. Alex comes back to win -- just flat ground it OUT... safeties... kicking.... get out when you have too.... ....

Pure entertainment ... Earl / 10ftr... sorry but the ear muffs / magnifying glass... the first time with the 7 foot cue! (shane is now using it! Earl the MAD GENIUS ) LOL

Learning -- Every thing with Busty (Who is the only player with multiple appearances that is Undefeated on TAR <I do believe>)....

Production -- The second set of straight pool between John and Danny (I believe in a race to 400 there were 4 100+ ball runs ... not sure).. the darkened arena ... commentary ... just a wonderful set of 14.1 ----

:thumbup:

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Though Shaw won in two straight sets, I think Jayson Shaw vs. Mike Dechaine was my favorite. They are, arguably, the two successful most players on the Joss tour, and their rivalry may be the most intense one in pool right now. It's always personal with those guys at the table, but you often see them hanging out together when they aren't competing. They are rivals who respect each other's games.

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dippy vs corey a few years ago from the dcc is my favorite tar match or any pool match really, corey gave up a big spot that he tried to outrun, some of the best pool i've ever seen played

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Great shooting in both Alex vs Shane matches....

But by far my favorite was Shane vs Earl on the 10 ft monster.

Lots of emotion, some hard words, Earl knew the trap table better.
Mars briefly considered putting on the gloves..:eek:

Vegabomb

I had the privilege to watch the SVB v Donnie Mills match live as it happened.

I'm 50 years old and can confidently say that it was the greatest sporting event I've ever seen.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I have fond memories of SVB vs. Donny Mills.

That surprises me a little. I didn't get to see it live, and I got the ending spoiled
for me despite my best efforts, so I thought I wouldn't enjoy it as much.

A lot of references were made to how Shane was once the unknown kid,
but after wrecking Corey, everyone knew about him.

To me, Donny was the new unknown while Shane was the monster favorite.
Here's a guy who maybe didn't get famous because he almost never left his home state,
didn't fly anywhere. He might have been one of the best in the country, for all I knew.
I liked the idea that 'Carlot' could reach that level with an actual day job.

At first Shane jumped out to a pretty good lead, like 9-10 racks.
But Mills didn't fall off and get scared. For a long time it was 7 racks down,
then 4, then back to 7... and finally, at 32-32, Donny caught up.
Oh shit, we have a match.

Then it was donny's turn to hold a small lead for a long time, like 4 games.
And he kept it for just as long as shane kept his.

At some point Shane said "fuсk it" and stopped trying to imitate Donny's soft break.
He went with a hard smash from the box, not unlike his 10b break.
It seemed to work for him and at 70-70, they tied again.

After that, Shane's trademark break helped him coast across the finish line.
But there were so many small 3-packs that even when Donny got down like 12 games,
I never felt like it was completely impossible. Not until Shane reached the hill.

There were a variety of good commentators, young guys, I'm pretty sure Corey
was in the booth. Plus JCIN and at least one other guy.

The atmosphere was great and looking back, I wish more TAR matches could have
this vibe. The camera showed a large crowd who applauded frequently, and of course
a lot of them were rooting for their local boy. It was an after-hours packed pool hall vibe,
instead of a darkened corner of a quiet room. The whole thing was bright and you could just
tell it was in Florida.. lots of hawaiian shirts and neon. Music in the background was good,
and I think this was the one where someone played Eye of the Tiger like 5 times in a row.

This was also the first time I saw the full power of the 9b soft break.
Standard diamond, no magic rack, just a Delta-13.
But Donny made something like 73 out of 74 wing balls on the break.
I was in awe. I was thinking "this guy has beat 9-ball. He beat the game of 9b
like a rented nintendo game."

I learned a lot watching this match.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
#1 SVB vs Corey D. what an awesome way to kick it off!

#2 SVB vs Donny....just goes to show you how different styles can still get it done!

G.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only started watching pool last yr. Enjoyed the dazz vs orcullo match the most.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I liked Shane vs Orcollo when Dennis did not miss a ball in the 8 ball set and Shane missed a couple and Shane ends up winning.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen just about every TAR match and in my opinion nothing was as exciting as Harriman vs Schmidt number 2. The one pocket match was EPIC!! Hill Hill with Schmidt needing 10 balls and he wins...I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. The 14.1 segment in a race to 400 points there were 4 runs over 100!!! The Alex vs Shane where Alex made the big comeback was awesome, but as far as close and exciting, DH vs JS wins it for me:)

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen just about every TAR match and in my opinion nothing was as exciting as Harriman vs Schmidt number 2. The one pocket match was EPIC!! Hill Hill with Schmidt needing 10 balls and he wins...I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. The 14.1 segment in a race to 400 points there were 4 runs over 100!!! The Alex vs Shane where Alex made the big comeback was awesome, but as far as close and exciting, DH vs JS wins it for me:)

yea...I forgot about those matches.....the 14.1 was baddass!

G.

gwk9ball

Pool Junkie
Silver Member
Not a match, but one of my favorite TAR moments was when Fatboy punked Bucktooth at the Derby, I was in the room that night and Bucktooth stomped out of there mad as could be. Also the first Shane-Alex match there was Awesome, really crazy ending.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I have two that I'd pick to watch several times, and have actually hehe.

The first one with Shane vs Cory and I think it's the third one with Shane vs Alex at Derby when they go Hill Hill and Alex kicks in a ball after Shane hooks him.

I loved the commentary on the Derby match as they had several people rotating in. You really get a feel for how the players act and what they do "behind the scene" when some of the commentate when they start off on some story.