Trapped Up - One of the Sickest One Pocket Outs Ever

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was a ton of talk about this particular rack. One of the craziest things I have seen. Scott puts him in a really bad spot but what Dennis does next is unbelievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IwfsZkKRjg

You notice where the cue ball ended up after he shot the combination. It was actually a fairly big ball to shoot at because of its proximity to the rail. Dennis knew all that and knew he could play safe on the ball close to Scott's pocket. That gave him freedom to fire away.

Great One Pocket is all about continuing to make balls, no matter how you end up. Ronnie Allen was the greatest for his ability to improvise and continue run outs when it looked like he had no shot. He would create a shot, be it a three ball off angle combo or some ludicrous kick into the pack. Balls just kept falling in when Ronnie was at the table. It may have looked lucky but after you watched him do it all day you began to realize there was a method to his madness. To bad there isn't more tape of Ronnie in his prime.

What made Efren the best of his era was also his ability to continue to make shots even after it looked hopeless. If he could see it or even envision it, he could make it. And usually did! Not to mention Efren's uncanny cue ball control, seemingly able to thread the needle to get perfect position with zero margin for error. He took many near impossible shots with the game on the line and delivered time after time.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You notice where the cue ball ended up after he shot the combination. It was actually a fairly big ball to shoot at because of its proximity to the rail. Dennis knew all that and knew he could play safe on the ball close to Scott's pocket. That gave him freedom to fire away.
A "big" ball it might have been, but what a shot. You can see Scott's reaction in the background. You can almost hear him yell "for f*ck's sake" :angry: :thumbup:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member

Great One Pocket is all about continuing to make balls, no matter how you end up. Ronnie Allen was the greatest for his ability to improvise and continue run outs when it looked like he had no shot. He would create a shot, be it a three ball off angle combo or some ludicrous kick into the pack. Balls just kept falling in when Ronnie was at the table. It may have looked lucky but after you watched him do it all day you began to realize there was a method to his madness. To bad there isn't more tape of Ronnie in his prime.

What made Efren the best of his era was also his ability to continue to make shots even after it looked hopeless. If he could see it or even envision it, he could make it. And usually did! Not to mention Efren's uncanny cue ball control, seemingly able to thread the needle to get perfect position with zero margin for error. He took many near impossible shots with the game on the line and delivered time after time.

His back was to the wall and the only other option I saw was to take a foul or fram the balls. He was put in bad spots a bunch of times and shot his way out of it. Impressive shot making and banking, some of the best I have seen. :eek:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That 5 ball was sitting just right for Dennis to go rail 1st with the combo,but damn look where that ball hit the rail and still went in pockets played incredibly soft for 4 1/4 inch :mad:

Still was an amazing out from Dennis he came with shot after shot and bank after bank in this match.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His back was to the wall and the only other option I saw was to take a foul or fram the balls. He was put in bad spots a bunch of times and shot his way out of it. Impressive shot making and banking, some of the best I have seen. :eek:

Scott always does seem to be the victim of uncanny escapes by his opponents!..Remember the 1000 to 1 kick shot Preacher Ron made on him, to steal their match?..Scott is the Greg Norman of pool, for having bad luck in big matches. Greg has had 3 or 4 major golf tournaments stolen from him by freaky luck shots! :rolleyes:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Orcullo's ability to bear down and pocket the most difficult shots is astounding. Is he the straightest shooter currently? How does he rank in the history of pool in terms of shot making ability? The only guys I've seen that rival him in that department are Earl and Shaw

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Preacher in a Trap" Ron stole one game, lost the cheese.

I guess you're right..I was just pointing out Scotts exceptionally bad luck in those type situations! .. How could I forget, I had a sizable wager on Ronn in that match! (alzheimers rears its ugly head again) ;)

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a ton of talk about this particular rack. One of the craziest things I have seen. Scott puts him in a really bad spot but what Dennis does next is unbelievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IwfsZkKRjg

Thank you, Fast Lenny, to you, Scott, Dennis, and all the others involved in this match-up for showcasing one-pocket. You have definitely added a spark to this game for all to enjoy. Bravo! Well done!

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I learned don't leave Dennis a shot, a bank, a kick, a combo, a full table combo, or a jump if I you want to beat him? Got it...

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After Scott hit that ball Dennis probably hopped up thinking "Damn, he just sold the farm!"

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And right there is documentation of the fact that execution trumps knowledge.

A great break reversal by scott, executed perfectly.

Then dennis executes scott.

Thats enough for me. Pay the man. Walk away.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

I fully agree with this. He played cue ball mostly and got the bonus of making a ball and the sick part was the out itself. He was definitely safe based on where cueball landed.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Edited one pocket videos will be all the rage one day. Thanks for taking the time to edit that well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I fully agree with this. He played cue ball mostly and got the bonus of making a ball and the sick part was the out itself. He was definitely safe based on where cueball landed.

I wouldn't say it was a free shot. A lot could have gone wrong on that combo if it didn't go. With the cue ball where it was, If the ball wasn't in the jaws, the risk is Scott banking it in and running an easy 8. If I could start every game with having my opponent in DO's position, I think I would play anyone.