Shane Vanboening vs Jayson Shaw

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like vocal, but I don't like disrespectful or rude. One can be very vocal without being a piece of **** like Earl.

Sigel, actually, was not very vocal as a competitor, but a persona was created for him in the IPT days to shake things up a bit. Few bought it.

To suggest that Sigel and Earl were vocal for the betterment of their sport is nonsense of the highest order.

Filler, Shaw and Pagulayan are all vocal at the table, and I, for one, totally approve.

Mike was funny and self deprecating at the same time. He always had a designated "yes" man he would talk to during a match. I NEVER saw him try to shark any of his opponents. He beat them on the table.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Mike was funny and self deprecating at the same time. He always had a designated "yes" man he would talk to during a match. I NEVER saw him try to shark any of his opponents. He beat them on the table.

Totally agree with this....Mike Sigel is the kind of person to think out loud.
....I’ve t old people that if you listen to Sigel whine, you’ll learn everything you need to
know about playing pool.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Amazingly enough, I have been that "yes man". It happened during the PPPA World 14.1 Championships in the early 1980's. I recall he banked a ball (by combo) out of the pack, a shot one very rarely, if ever, sees. After making it, he said to me "it was dead". I smiled but really had nothing to say.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sigel, actually, was not very vocal as a competitor, but a persona was created for him in the IPT days to shake things up a bit. Few bought it.

I have been that "yes man". It happened during the PPPA World 14.1 Championships in the early 1980's.

He was called the mouth for a reason, and I disagree with you on your first post saying that Mike wasn't very vocal, he was interestingly vocal, and I like it whenever he speaks, and yes I agree with you on the second post where you agreed with Jay that he was vocal but also added that he spoke to you during a match in the 80's, amazing that two posts back to back and you contradicted yourself ;)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
He was called the mouth for a reason, and I disagree with you on your first post saying that Mike wasn't very vocal, he was interestingly vocal, and I like it whenever he speaks, and yes I agree with you on the second post where you agreed with Jay that he was vocal but also added that he spoke to you during a match in the 80's, amazing that two posts back to back and you contradicted yourself ;)

If you call talking to one person in the crowd from time to time vocal , Mike was vocal. I don't call that vocal. Mike didn't say much in the course of a typical match, and never spoke loudly. You can call that vocal if you like.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Totally agree with this....Mike Sigel is the kind of person to think out loud.
....I’ve t old people that if you listen to Sigel whine, you’ll learn everything you need to
know about playing pool.

Perfect. I loved it (I was often standing right there) when he would whine about the shot he was facing, walk around the table to look at it from all angles, shaking his head all the while, and finally get down with a shrug of his shoulders and fire it in the heart of the pocket, and play perfect position! Then he would look up and smile, and maybe wipe his brow like he got lucky. I miss that. Mike was a beauty! And what a great player he was. Nobody past or present had to like it against him.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Loved watching Mike Sigel play. He's on the short list of my favorite players of all time to watch. There's just something classy about a great left-handed player (even though Mike is actually right-handed in all things but pool, like me!).

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Perfect. I loved it (I was often standing right there) when he would whine about the shot he was facing, walk around the table to look at it from all angles, shaking his head all the while, and finally get down with a shrug of his shoulders and fire it in the heart of the pocket, and play perfect position! Then he would look up and smile, and maybe wipe his brow like he got lucky. I miss that. Mike was a beauty! And what a great player he was. Nobody past or present had to like it against him.

Mike was my favorite player during the straight pool era. In the recent G.O.A.T. for 1970 and on, I had him as second best only behind Efren.

Another thing I liked about Mike was that he was approachable and was willing to discuss a position from a completed match with a fan. I recall a match he played against Rempe in which Mike was way behind.

Mike was on a foul and the cue ball was nearly in the jaws of one of the top corners. If he shot at the only loose ball, there was a great danger he'd scratch off the pack. He took a second foul intentionally, answered by a Rempe intentional foul.

Mike then shot the ridiculously tough break shot, made it and ran 100+ and out to win the match. I asked him after the match why he'd taken the second foul. The gist of what he said is that down over 75 balls, he didn't really want to shoot this shot, knew Rempe wouldn't shoot it with a huge lead, but he ultimately decided he'd have to be willing to take it on.

The second foul, he explained, could only help him. If he made the shot and scratched off the pack, he wanted the balls reracked, customary after a third foul. If he missed the shot, he added, he still might scratch off the pack, and were that to happen, he similarly wanted the balls reracked. Hence, the second foul he took intentionally gave him a couple of extra ways to win. Had Mike missed the break shot while still on one foul, Rempe almost certainly would have run out the match.

This fan will always remember that Mike was happy to discuss the position at length --- 38 years ago!

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw is capable of winning but I like Shane in this because of his break.

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody going to the match? Gen admission is free, so I may swing by, get a signed ball or two if possible.

Never been to one of these matches before. Is gen admission standing room only?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like my uncle Irving used to say:
If you are gonna get one of your balls signed, might as well get um both signed.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw will win this. Its just to odd and makes me wonder so Shaw should make someone money

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Close. Shane leads 12-11 but Shaw at table.
Clearly Shaw is cooking something and has something up his sleeve to get into this matchup. The perception is that Shaw is slight underdog but it can go either way

Though I wonder how they can concentrate with 2 ring girls in bra top at 2 corners. I know I would not be able to focus :D:D

ssw.JPG