Has your cue ever been in a house without air conditioning for several days?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
This may come as a shock to you but many of us geezers grew up with the only available air conditioning to be found, was in a movie theater.

Pool was a lot more popular then too. Makes me wonder how Willie ever ran 526. Think of it, warped cues, slow cloth, cheap chalk, no gloves, crap leather tips, high deflection shafts, plus different balls and old loose racks...

but, but, but it was an 8 foot table ;) Yeah, folks keep forget to factor in all the other stuff as well. Oh, and I made a few additions for ya too, no charge :thumbup:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take pretty good care of my Joss and have done so since 1985. I don't subject it to extremes unnecessarily. Back in college it did get left in a hot or cold car a few times.

The cue has been to at least 9 countries and 15 states with me. Planes, trains, automobiles, and boats. Tropical heat and humidity, northern Europe in the Winter...and everything in between.

Is it straight? Both shafts, together and apart?

Yes.

Has it "moved"? Yes. Over the years I have noted a slight taper roll that goes away depending on prevailing conditions. It is wood after all. When people ask if it is straight I ask them what season it is. LOL!

I once had a guy roll the cue on a table. He was an idiot. He should not even have touched my cue, but he did. He scoffed and basically said it was trashed. I laughed at him. It did have a very minor taper roll in that shaft at that time, but worse, the joint face was dirty. LOL! I took a napkin and wiped off the joint face...straightened the cue! Oh...and I thrashed him at nine ball.

I don't roll the cue anymore. Ever. At least not in the past 15 years or so. Why would I? Just to get chalk dust and other crap from the table on my cue?

I do understand how you feel and why you worry.

Play the cue. Take good care of it. Stop worrying. With any luck 30 years later you will be telling a story like mine.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually cue wood for the most part is stableized however metals such as rings will expand also the glue on the wrap if leather or lizard or like in kind might be subject to the heat ,, I just expierenced this on my wrap just don't twist it hard like I did it will be ok when it cools down , however the rings might break the finish I have a couple now that will need refinishing
The best way to keep a cue is in room temp bar none

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am really worried about my cue , because I recently moved into a house that was supposed to have an air conditioner installed in it, but the one that the landlord got for it was non working.

So, for the last several days, the house has felt like it is 200 degrees inside.

Will be getting an air conditioner in a few days, but who knows what the condition of my olney cue will be in by that time.

It has already spent 3 days in that house without any temperature controll, and there has been a heat wave (without hardly any breeze) here in Louisville .

Window fan has done hardly anything to cool down 1 room in the house.

Anyways, just curious what the odds are that the cue I have so get very badly warped ?

I am having nightmares about it, lol, but maybe the heat is just making me crazy.

I can handle it, but just not sure how straight my cue will stay in my tube case.

Thanks for any thoughts about this, or any info about any past experiences (if you ever had to go without any air conditioning in an old house, in the middle of summer, with your cue inside the house).

I imagine if that ever happened to you, then you probably left your cue with family or friends, but the thing is, that I have neither here in Louisville, and nobody that I know that I would trust with my cue.

I prey that my cue has been able to handle the heat, and is still in the same condition that it was the last time I checked it out, and I really hope that it stays as straight as it is.

I know it is my own fault if it is badly warped now.

I do a lot of stupid things.

I should have left it with the owner of a pool hall that I, go to sometimes downtown, or maybe with a cue repair person.

Please tell me that I have no reason to worry.

Thanks
WHICH cue is this Justin,you are truly one of a kind !!! LOL

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
I am really worried about my cue , because I recently moved into a house that was supposed to have an air conditioner installed in it, but the one that the landlord got for it was non working.

So, for the last several days, the house has felt like it is 200 degrees inside.

Will be getting an air conditioner in a few days, but who knows what the condition of my olney cue will be in by that time.

It has already spent 3 days in that house without any temperature controll, and there has been a heat wave (without hardly any breeze) here in Louisville .

Anyways, just curious what the odds are that the cue I have so get very badly warped ?

I am having nightmares about it, lol, but maybe the heat is just making me crazy.

I can handle it, but just not sure how straight my cue will stay in my tube case.

Thanks for any thoughts about this, or any info about any past experiences (if you ever had to go without any air conditioning in an old house, in the middle of summer, with your cue inside the house).

I imagine if that ever happened to you, then you probably left your cue with family or friends, but the thing is, that I have neither here in Louisville, and nobody that I know that I would trust with my cue.

I prey that my cue has been able to handle the heat, and is still in the same condition that it was the last time I checked it out, and I really hope that it stays as straight as it is.

I should have left it with the owner of a pool hall that I, go to sometimes downtown, or maybe with a cue repair person.

Thanks

is this your first baby?

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I performed a Scientific Experiment once, involving Gus Szamboti and George Balabushka Pool Cues.

I randomly placed a couple dozen of them (the finest examples) around a sealed up house
in Las Vegas throughout the months of August and September. Dang if the heat didn't ruin
the shit out of every last one, as was Scientifically predicted.

Great question Justin. Keep'em coming.

Same thing here,but mine were sub 500 dollar cues and basically had to use them for firewood when winter came

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member

Thanks
Place a dot on the high side of the warp and use it like a smoochy.
You're OK, just don't throw it in the deep freeze to compensate.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
i rarely play in a pool room with air conditioning. when i do, that's the time i use masters chalk.

justtapitin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big temperature change is mostly a problem if the change happens quickly. Outside warms up quickly while inside is cold or the opposite. This results in sheer forces inside the cue which could conceivably cause damage. If you want to break a big boulder, alternately pour boiling water and cold water on it and watch the sheer forces at work.

I like to keep my cues at a proper humidity level too. I use the small Boveda 49% relative humidity packs in my case. Bigger packs of the same thing are in my acoustic guitar case. Boveda has many other humidity levels available, but I don't happen to know what the levels other than 49% are used for.

None of my cues is going to warp due to temp. or humidity issues if I can help it, and I can.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

This is why players used to get a new cue every week or two, before AC was invented.

< /sarcasm >

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I wonder what happens to trees when it gets really hot out??? Must be especially bad if it is windy too. That may explain why some trees look like they made a U-turn to return back to the soil. HHHmmmmmmm.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Maybe you should get your cue it's own apartment with ac and a pool, 2 bed 2 bath and a bay window, 56" lcd TV and stop being a neglectful owner

We may potentially have a Reply of The Year here!!!!! :rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

dvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me Too

Don't worry Justin

You're not alone; these thing keep me up at night also.

When I'm not thinking about my kids, grandchildren, wife, business, house, taxes and money issues; I concentrate on the weather exposure to my cues.

So, before I leave for the pool hall I start my car and set the temperature at 70; same as my house (winter or summer); then I quickly get into my car with my cue case. Now, the trick is finding a spot as close as possible to the door of the pool hall; and very quickly getting inside.

But, ALAS, the pool halls' AC is on the fritz. Damn-it, need another new cue!

And my wife, understanding the dynamics of wood; agrees. She's the best.

Hope you get your AC fixed soon.

Regards
Dave

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I've had about 50 playing cues over 60 years. Kept some in car trunk in NY, NC, and FL. I never had a shaft problem. I don't know how they make cues today...but they are far from better in most cases. Johnnyt

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My Doc Frye sat in an un A/C'd room in the mid 60's for a few years. I still have it. No problems.