Pics of my new Brunswick Centennial table in Austin

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to share some pics of my new table with you all. I've been waiting months for this to get restored and installed in our new home in Austin, and the wait was definitely worth it. It's a Brunswick Centennial 9-footer, model DC, with Rosewood rails (not Formica).

Doug Jennings from Hillsboro, TX, found the table in a private home in Corpus Christi, TX, and did the restoration and installation. Judging by the staple holes and general condition, it looks like it has had cloth installed only twice, maybe three times before, and has never been abused in a pool hall.

I had Doug send the rails to Mark Gregory in Atlanta because I wanted it to play as good as possible and have 4 and 1/2" pockets, coming from my last table which was a Diamond Professional. Both Doug and Mark went above-and-beyond in the work they did.

Here are a few of the pics. If you want to see all 43 pics, or see the high-res versions, you can view the album on Imgur here: http://imgur.com/gallery/88vRB/

The finished table and yours truly...
yDMA1Gnh.jpg

Another angle with the custom LED light I built (still need to stain it to match)...
WZGtp0qh.jpg

Gotta love the aluminum aprons. Someday I may try to polish them to a mirror finish, but I think they look pretty good now...
N1KMOGVh.jpg

Mark did an amazing job on the pockets and rails, as expected. I went with Brunswick Superspeeds at Mark's recommendation. Mark did the rail cloth, and Doug did the rest of the Simonis 860HR installation, including these slick pocket treatments with flexible plastic pieces with cloth folded over them which hide all the corner cuts...
C0VqarPh.jpg

The subrails look brand new now...
82IWQ2wh.jpg

Mark even repainted the bottom of the rails, replaced the figure-8 nut plates with the same inserts Diamond uses because they hold the rails down tighter, and re-stenciled the original identification codes. Wasn't expecting that!
4o4HZoFh.jpg

Doug sent the corner casings along with the rails to Mark, and they came back named and numbered (and the rails stamped). Oh by the way, make sure you tighten down the corners after the rails are in place on the table, not on the floor, which allows you to make final adjustments to corner squareness and pocket tightness. (Ask me how I know this.)
E0a7dVAh.jpg

I spent about 6 hours with an 80-pound granite lapping stone with 60-grit sandpaper glued to the bottom, pushing and pulling it across the slates, to smooth and level their surfaces. Typical of many slates from this era, they had dark veins running lengthwise which were slightly raised and rough, but the lapping stone made them perfect, probably better than new.(God, what a dusty mess though!) In this pic, I've done the top two slates already and am preparing to start on the bottom one. At least the slate joints were perfect. :)
DHfsf3Rh.jpg

I'm loving this table so far. It plays at least as good as my Diamond Pro did, and I like the convenience of the ball shelves and the scoring wheels. Tonight I beat the 9-ball ghost in a race to 9 for the first time ever on it, with a score of 9-7, so I think the table is good luck for me. :)

Last edited:

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's one handsome table for sure, but what's the story with the Diamond.They're pretty fine tables themselves you know! :thumbup:

BBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Centennial

Great table!

I have the same Rosewood rails on my Anniversary, like your table it came out of a private home and was reclothed one time, can't get any better than that!

Enjoy your table, its stunning Art Deco design is timeless.

Joe

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's one handsome table for sure, but what's the story with the Diamond.They're pretty fine tables themselves you know! :thumbup:

Yeah, I really liked my Diamond Pro blue label. Decided to sell it instead of risk moving it from CA to TX a few months ago.

I've always wanted a Centennial, and finally found one and the timing was right. Might have gone for another new Diamond, but now can only get them in black as far as I know.

They're both great tables, but the Cent just has more, well, character for lack of a better word, and I can see keeping it in the family forever and passing it on to my son someday.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations. I have the exact same table. MarkGregory did all the exact same things. I could basically duplicate your post....slate blocked etc. my cloth is tournament green. My chrome was just polished. I had my car detailer do it.

Congratulations and enjoy!

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member
Talk about a labour of love...but soooo worth it!

Beautiful table...and kudos to those guys for going the extra miles in the install! :)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That table is a treasure! They are still trying to make tables today that play that good. It's heavier than a Gold Crown or a Diamond with inch and quarter slate and very heavy wood construction (mahogany rails!). For me the Anniversary and the Centennial are still the gold standard of pool tables.

Last edited:

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How Sweet is that table....congratulations.

The light you made looks pretty nice too...excellent job there.

Quick question: re Lapping stone:

(btw..the clamps look perfect for wrestling that piece of rock)

Were you able to rent that, or have to purchase it?

Do/did you pull it or both push and pull?

Did the sand paper load up quickly?

Did you lightly spray a primer, then re-surface with the stone, removing high spots and identifying any low spots?

How's your back doing?:eek::eek:

...Beautiful table...well worth the effort of the extra mile surface lapping.

Thanks for sharing your table project.:thumbup:

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Classic

That is one awesome set up. If you need a sparring partner that you can beat the crap out of I am here in Austin too. I will even bring the single barrel or malt, whatever is your preference. :thumbup: