A VERY SAD DAY - RIP Bill Stroud

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a very sad day indeed that I come here to inform the AZ community that my good friend and fellow cue maker BILL STROUD passed away March 11, 2020. I trust that all here will remember Bill for his many significant contributions to the pool world and the art of cuemaking.

RIP my friend - gone but never forgotten.

Paul

Bill was a great player and an even better cue maker.

I first met Bill in Dayton, OH, in the late 70's, at a national 8ball event. I remember showing him my 8-point Gina and he admired it for a bit, though at the end saying, "I don't like that ring there" lol.

Later on I saw him at the US One Pocket Open, just a few years back, and he was, still in his later years, a fierce competitor.

RIP, Bill.

Lou Figueroa

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never met him but he did respond to a few of my posts here. Obviously a big name in the sport.

Condolences to family and friends.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Saddened. Did not know him but what a name in our industry! Bill Stroud’s name will stand strong amongst pool players forever.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good men are in short supply and we are now minus yet another.

I will miss our conversations Billy!

RIP sir,

Jeff Crouch

Klink

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rip Bill. I look forward to one day owning one of the cues you made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fab944

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sad news. Condolences to family and friends.

I was fortunate enough to meet Bill at SBE in the early 90’s.
He was interested to see one of his early cues I was looking to get refurbished.
It was a great experience to have him working on my cue.
He was a fine craftsman and will be missed.

Frank

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the pleasure of talking to him in person and a few times on the phone over the years.
He traveled a path, not many could follow.
R. I. P.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry

Sorry to hear this he really knew how to put someone at ease. He was the first Cue maker I met at the 95 SBE and he was really very nice and sociable.
RIP Mr. Stroud

HighEndCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP Billy!
I knew Billy for a long time, and we worked together on cues for years. He was a brilliant cuemaker. His contribution to our industry was tremendous. He will be missed, and his legacy will carry on forever.
Ken Kerner

rc3

A very sad day indeed! Bill was a GIANT in the industry with too many accomplishments to list. My feelings go out to Barbara.

Rick Chudy

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
RIP Bill Stroud
Arguably the greatest cuemaker of all time
Bill was definitely an innovator and he knew how to build a great playing cue.
Also Bill was a very good pool player, one of the best in Colorado when he was here.

My condolnces to Bills friends & family

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have fond memories

I was friends with Billy for over 50yrs. He was my first pool idol. I was just a kid
15 16 yrs. old when I started sneaking in the Cotton Bowling Palace. Billy was
the king there . We became friends and I wouldn't have been any more proud
if the President had befriended me . He always had the coolest cars, Lotus, XKE
Corvette, and the short road trips to some pool room are some of my fondest
memories.
jack

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, this is very sad. I have known Bill for the entirety of my pool playing life. That would be 50 years. Bill was a very good player. He visited and played in my home town in 1970. He made for me my first plain "road cue" in 1974. Bill was one of the Fathers of the Custom Cue Trade. He positively impacted our sport in many ways. We have lost a good man and a valuable reference.

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP Mr. Stroud, and sincerest condolences to his family.

His work is legendary, for good reason. He brought so much to the art, and I sense it was because he was such an independent thinker. Here is a dimension of that independent thinking of which I was not aware until just now, when I stumbled on this interview of Rachel Hurst - he wanted his successor to be a woman.

I must say, Ms. Hurst seems every but as remarkable as Mr. Stroud was. Clearly some of him lives on in her.

https://issuu.com/azbilliards/docs/bb08-04-2017-final/12?ff

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
RIP Mr Stroud.
Thank you for all your knowledge, innovations and contributions to the cue world.