The greatest pool trick ever

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
He Jay -
Beenie did a trick that was cool . maybe you saw it -
he would give you a deck of cards and you would pull one and show it to a friend,put it back in the deck without Beenie seeing it -
then give the deck back to Beenie -
Then Beenie would shuffle the deck then spread them around the pool table face down -
Then beenie would hand you the cue ball so you could shoot it around the table -
When the cue ball stopped rolling you would turn over the card it landed on or was next too -
it would be the card you picked -

bill

I saw Mike Massey do that trick several times and loved it every time!

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with this theory... when he's throwing out the balls, he's seeing the COLORS, not the numbers... orange, yellow stripe, etc. BUT that's pretty quick addition to call out the number total within seconds!

OR it's mis-direction, which is what magic tricks are mainly based on.:cool:

pretty clear to me he is putting silicone on the balls before he rolls them out :D:D

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks to me like he's adding up values, but it's possible that he uses some sort of algorithm to simplify things. The first one to jump to my mind would be multiplying the number of stripes (and possibly the 8 ball) by 8, then adding the balls as if they are all solids to that result. With a little practice and having memorized the multiplication table for 8 (up to 8 x 8 = 64), I think you could get that down to a few seconds pretty easily.

For example, say the balls were:
Solids: green, blue, orange
Stripes: red, purple, green

Maybe he saw that in his head as 6 + 2 + 5 + 3 + 4 + 6 + (3 x 8) = 26 + 24 = 50

Now I'm going to have to go try it at home... :)

Wouldn't it be easier and faster to multiply the number of stripes by 10 and add the second digits?

If you train yourself to recognize the stripes according to their second digits, I imagine the math could be done quickly.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were to hazard a guess, I would say it was possibly a skill learned from playing a lot of 61 point rotation. Notice, he does it in 2 groups ie 32 and 24 etc. A good skill to have, being able to look at each players pocketed balls and quickly know where the game stands.

Or it coulda been voodoo. :thumbup:

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't it be easier and faster to multiply the number of stripes by 10 and add the second digits?

If you train yourself to recognize the stripes according to their second digits, I imagine the math could be done quickly.
Possibly. The reason I suggested 8 was so that you could use the same color/number association for both stripes and solids.

Going back to my previous example:

Another way to visualize that might be to group them in order by color, like so:
(0 x yellow) + (1 x blue) + (1 x red) + (1 x purple) + (1 x orange) + (2 x green) + (3 x stripes) =
2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 12 + (3 x 8) = 26 + 24 = 50

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was very old when this video was made. When he was younger (say in his 40's and 50's) he could do it much faster. I saw him do the same thing in maybe a second at Johnston City (for money) with someone else throwing the balls (six balls). He had to get the right number before they reached the end rail and the guy rolled them pretty fast. Beenie was backing Jimmy. That was the first time I saw him do it and there was a big crowd watching.
Why would Staton have to back Jimmy?
I always saw Moore betting his own money.
:boring2:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the guy never was wrong.
It was amazing.
He even did it with a blind fold on!
Doing those things with a blindfold on is a very old magician routine.....(some made a lot of money with the routine of driving a car down the main street blindfolded.) Of course they had to let the local police know how it was done so the law would stay out of things.
Just let ME tie the blindfold on, using my blindfold, and nobody will make a ball or accomplish any of those great "miracles" under those controlled conditions.
Man, pool players in general are gullible.
Life goes on...
:grin:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doing those things with a blindfold on is a very old magician routine.....(some made a lot of money with the routine of driving a car down the main street blindfolded.) Of course they had to let the local police know how it was done so the law would stay out of things.
Just let ME tie the blindfold on, using my blindfold, and nobody will make a ball or accomplish any of those great "miracles" under those controlled conditions.
Man, pool players in general are gullible.
Life goes on...
:grin:

they sure are... lol

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were to hazard a guess, I would say it was possibly a skill learned from playing a lot of 61 point rotation. Notice, he does it in 2 groups ie 32 and 24 etc. A good skill to have, being able to look at each players pocketed balls and quickly know where the game stands.

Or it coulda been voodoo. :thumbup:

The last group when he rolled 9 I suspect he looked down and added the 6 he didn't roll and subtracted the number from 108.

I used to count cards. With enough practice and money as a motivating factor it can be done.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why would Staton have to back Jimmy?
I always saw Moore betting his own money.
:boring2:

Then you didn't see him play that much. He had backers lined up to help him in almost all his big money games. He did back himself in the Ring games and small money action (anything under 100 a game). If you played him in New Mexico and he was betting his own, it was probably $10-20 9-Ball (or a $100 set) or $25-50 One Pocket. He did get a lot of that action and maybe that's what you're talking about.

I saw him play Danny Jones a $500 (each) set of 9-Ball in the late 60's (backer) and Richie Florence some Straight Pool in the 70's for $200 a game (backer). He also played Jones some high dollar (at the time) Snooker with a backer. To the best of my recollection, Moore won all three of these money games.

Last edited:

Th674

Registered
I live 6 miles north of Johnston City. I love to read and hear all about all the history that was made here regarding the games of pool.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I live 6 miles north of Johnston City. I love to read and hear all about all the history that was made here regarding the games of pool.

I wonder if the Show Bar is still there, a couple of miles out of town.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I worked in the nuclear power industry for 30 years. I was one of the few that had a terrible memory. Must people who make it have excellent memories.

I’ve learned that there’s 2 factors involved in making a highly functional person. The first is IQ. That is the measure of ones ability to solve a problem that he’s never seen solved. It’s very hard to test because of the human memory. True IQ should be tested before 11 years old.

The second is working memory. This is the ability to rapidly remember items and then recall it as needed. Show someone 9 single digit numbers written on a sheet of paper for a brief period. Then ask him to recite them in reverse order. If the person can list 4 or more, that person would generally do very well in college.

What I believe we are watching is his ability to rapidly add numbers in his head due to possessing a fantastic working memory. It’s amazing when you see it it action. One on the VP’s where I currently work can multiply two, three digit numbers together in his head in seconds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if the Show Bar is still there, a couple of miles out of town.
I was there the year the IRS raids came down.
The golf course is still there according to google.
There's a place out on Rt. 37 called "The Ranch"...don't know if it's the same spot as the J&J. Could be...according to the street view. Been a long long time.
Stardust Golf Club.jpg

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was there the year the IRS raids came down.
The golf course is still there according to google.
There's a place out on Rt. 37 called "The Ranch"...don't know if it's the same spot as the J&J. Could be...according to the street view. Been a long long time.
View attachment 492942

Fats saved all the pool players and even got their money back with the eloquent speech he made on their behalf in the courtroom. Basically he told the judge that EVERYONE is hustler and gave all the reasons why and the judge bought it. :thumbup:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Possibly. The reason I suggested 8 was so that you could use the same color/number association for both stripes and solids.

Going back to my previous example:

Another way to visualize that might be to group them in order by color, like so:
(0 x yellow) + (1 x blue) + (1 x red) + (1 x purple) + (1 x orange) + (2 x green) + (3 x stripes) =
2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 12 + (3 x 8) = 26 + 24 = 50

I think you guys are making it more complicated than it is. He's showing you how he does it. He adds the first 3 quickly and then the second 3 and then adds those two subtotals together. I think if you practice thinking of 3 numbers and adding them without thinking too hard you can do it quickly. Maybe that doesn't make sense, but for an easy example look at the following example 1, 3. Now I bet if you look at those two numbers you just know the total is 4 without even trying to add them. You just know. (It's like aiming to shoot a ball. You just know when it looks right, lol). I think the same can be done with 3 balls with practice and good math ability to boot. 5 8 11 is 24. Just look at the numbers and let your brain add them without consciously doing it. I think that's all it is. It's a great skill but you don't need some algorithm to make it happen.

There are math algorithms to help you add lots of large numbers more quickly, but IMO not necessary here. I learned a memory trick and memorized pi out to 2000 digits in a short amount of time just for kicks. I'm certainly no genius but you'd think I was if you didn't know how to train yourself to do that.

There is another video of Moore doing this trick out there somewhere and if I recall it is a better example. He is younger and the balls are rolling faster. Must've been on one of those televised events where they had Fats, Mosconi, Moore etc all together playing for Wide World of Sports type thing.