This is why I don't like to play for money!!! ...

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
I stopped into the pool hall tonight at like 11pm after a corporate party with the higher-ups. I'm practicing and my line of sight is off...missing everything by a hair...

I figure, no biggie, I'll come around...I always do.

A guy wants to play for money...I say sure...
8 ball? I say...
He sais , sure...race to 5 for $50...sounds good to me so we start.

We play our set, I beat him 5/3 ...and 2 of the 3 games he won were where I ran out and tanked the 8... I'm playing as bad as I can play, so I'm playing smart and controlling the table. A lot of defense.

He pays the 50.
I say I'm done...gotta work tomorrow. Nice playing. It's 1AM ...I GOTTA WORK AT 8.

This is where it goes where you think it's going...

He and his entourage peanut gallery start complaining...saying...so that's how it's done...your not gonna play anymore? , they are being assholes. I say...I gotta work...ey keep at it as I'm unscrewing my cues.

I say, really, does $50 bucks really mean that much to you? I make that every ***edited :)....REALLY???

He keeps flapping...so I offer to play him for a little more next Thursday, up the bet some, make it worth my while, ( Thursday is my 1 night a week to play) he sais he's only in town for like 3 days.
I explain I gotta work, he doesn't understand...I explain that people that live in Myrtle Beach aren't all like jimmy buffet. We work. I also explain to him that he probably doesn't want anymore of this, since he couldn't even give me a game and I'm dogging 8's...playing like a donkey...what happens when I wake up????????
Another set would put us into 2:30-3am ...can't do.

When is a good time to end a set...they're never happy when u gotta go cuz you have their money. So you have to play until they finally win it back????

I've never had someone hand over cash happily and not ***** that its over. I feel like throwing the measly $50 back at him and saying...fill your tank 1/2 way up.

SO FRUSTRATING...where's the fun in gambling???

Last edited:

CarlB

Formerly AfghanBilliards
Silver Member
Unfortunately that is the problem with starting a late set on a weekday. Personally I always try to establish or mention something before I start especially if I am going to be tight on time. Just as a courtesy to my opponent. As an example, "sure ill play, race to 5 for $50 but I only have time for one set tonight." So no matter the outcome, I am done after one set, either he has my $50 or I have his.

He probably felt that if he had won your $50 you would have stayed and kept playing to win it back, etc. It is always tough to quit winners and the other person be ok with it. I prefer and feel that communication or a lack there of is the problem in your situation. Had he known before hand that you were out after one set, perhaps the banter wouldn't have ensued.

JMHO
Carl

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I stopped into the pool hall tonight at like 11pm after a corporate party with the higher-ups. I'm practicing and my line of sight is off...missing everything by a hair...

8 ball? I say...

We play our set, I beat him 5/3 ...and 2 of the 3 games he won were where I ran out and tanked the 8... I'm playing as bad as I can play, so I'm playing smart and controlling the table. A lot of defense.

He pays the 50.
I say I'm done...gotta work tomorrow. Nice playing. It's 1AM ...I GOTTA WORK AT 8.

He and his entourage peanut gallery start complaining...saying...so that's how it's done...your not gonna play anymore? , they are being assholes. I say...I gotta work...ey keep at it as I'm unscrewing my cues.

I say, really, does $50 bucks really mean that much to you? I make that every ***edited :)....REALLY???

He keeps flapping...so I offer to play him for a little more next Thursday, up the bet some, make it worth my while, ( Thursday is my 1 night a week to play) he sais he's only in town for like 3 days.
I explain I gotta work, he doesn't understand...I explain that people that live in Myrtle Beach aren't all like jimmy buffet. We work. I also explain to him that he probably doesn't want anymore of this, since he couldn't even give me a game and I'm dogging 8's...playing like a donkey...what happens when I wake up????????

When is a good time to end a set...they're never happy when u gotta go cuz you have their money. So you have to play until they finally win it back????

I've never had someone hand over cash happily and not ***** that its over. I feel like throwing the measly $50 back at him and saying...fill your tank 1/2 way up.

That's why you gotta let him know up front you only have time for 1 set. or set a time that both of you agree to quit at no matter what. i wouldn't get butt hurt over smething like this but i've seen it n you're right it's crappy

tommyceilings

The Netherland Nihilator
Silver Member
Sorry, but this sounds like a whiny thread.

You played someone and beat them, they were unhappy about not playing more but paid you.

Where is the story at?

Think if 6,000 people wrote this story everyday how flooded the forums would be.

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its your money you can quit anytime. I have never understood that crap about having to iron out every little detail before a set starts.
If nothing is said it should be assumed it is one set, unless you lock up more then one.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Its common courtesy to tell the guy before hand that you only have time for 1 set. You don't HAVE to tell him, but there are plenty of other things you don't have to do that you should do just because it makes it easier for everyone involved. These situations occur because you weren't being diligent. Not that its your fault, the guy is probably just a douche, but the situation and bad feelings could have been avoided had you simply told him before hand.

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I do my best to let someone know how long I can play time wise or how many sets or games. Tonight I played and said I would do 4-5 games of one pocket and it turned into 9 or 10 because I was enjoying it and was winner and did not want to quit up after the 4-5 games. We broke even and I enjoyed the game. If I quit up we might not play again or whatever and it was cheap too. I think its courteous to let someone know and not quit after one set or playing for a very short period of time.

My buddy played a dude a game for a $100 on the bar table and won, the guy is ready to play again and my buddy quit winner. He assumed that was okay but I told him it was bad etiquette and should have told the guy he would only play that one game or whatever. If someone gets mad at me for quitting winner if I have let them know we can play until 10pm, 3 sets or 5 games or whatever it is then tough $hit and I might not play them again anyway. I like to play to have a good time and if its not fun or the person is a jerk then I do not need it over a couple of dollars.

sydbarret

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should have let him know you only had time for 1 set. Because you didn't what you could have done is said it's 1am and I have to work in the morning but I'll play you 1 more set.

It's kinda common courtesy to not quit winner, especially after 1 set. but it sounds like you may not have been aware of that, just keep it in mind for the future.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

8 ball? I say...

He pays the 50.

You should never play sets when you have time issue.. always bet by the game, and tell him look i got time for two, or three more to give you a chance to even up, if he loses then no hard feeling..

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member

8 ball? I say...

He pays the 50.

Do you happen to know where he will be tonight?

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do my best to let someone know how long I can play time wise or how many sets or games. Tonight I played and said I would do 4-5 games of one pocket and it turned into 9 or 10 because I was enjoying it and was winner and did not want to quit up after the 4-5 games. We broke even and I enjoyed the game. If I quit up we might not play again or whatever and it was cheap too. I think its courteous to let someone know and not quit after one set or playing for a very short period of time.

My buddy played a dude a game for a $100 on the bar table and won, the guy is ready to play again and my buddy quit winner. He assumed that was okay but I told him it was bad etiquette and should have told the guy he would only play that one game or whatever. If someone gets mad at me for quitting winner if I have let them know we can play until 10pm, 3 sets or 5 games or whatever it is then tough $hit and I might not play them again anyway. I like to play to have a good time and if its not fun or the person is a jerk then I do not need it over a couple of dollars.
That's my thinking exactly. I don't play pool for a living; I play because I enjoy it. Fortunately where I regularly play the other regulars know I bail around the same time, so generally not an issue, even if I don't say anything specific. A newcomer though, I would make a point to say something ahead of time simply to avoid that kind of thing -- because even if I am winning I don't want the night to end with a confrontation. The bottom line is, to manage your own ease of leaving when you want, set a limit ahead of time -- if this kind of thing bothers you.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Take it as a lesson learned. You knew you were tight or time and you know people who lose money gambling want a shot to win it back.

In any gambling, you have to set the ground rules for the action up front. We've all been burned one time or another.

Freddie <~~~ 1998

MapleMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

8 ball? I say...

He pays the 50.

Walk out.Plain and simple. He would have done the same to you. You left the winner and that was important. Don't gamble if you can't afford to lose that is the true moral of the story

Woofresh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When playing for money and you can only play one set, ALWAYS tell them that beforehand.... Most times they want to run a couple

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member

You played someone and beat them, they were unhappy about not playing more but paid you.

Where is the story at?

Think if 6,000 people wrote this story everyday how flooded the forums would be.

I know... if people actually talked about their real-life experiences, we wouldn't have room for everyone telling Bonus Ball what they should have done, suggest new games that the pros should play because pool is "too easy", create TAR polls, or complain about what is "really wrong" with pool these days.

At least the aiming devotees finally got their own sub-forum. :)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

8 ball? I say...

He pays the 50.

The fun in pool is action,

Where you went wrong is you didnt manage your action before it started.

Action is business, just like work, you plan out your day. set a time to stop, bet amount etc.

If you manage a game right you avoid all this BS, and yes I agree 100% with your post that kind of action isnt fun. So learn to manage the game, and be nice about it but firm when you negoaite it and then play your game.

After you now someone and have played them 10 times for $$$ and you know each other, Its possible to pull up early, and be flexable on the rules, cause there is a relationship. But if there is no relationship ot the guy is a dick, either negoatite and manage your game or pick another time. Because no action is better than bad action.

If you need advice on management, ask Billy Cardone-he manages games netter or as good as anyone I ever saw, I watched guys for years math up, saw the problems and learned from my mistakes. you can to

best
eric:):)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Where is the story at?

Sadly I dont think there is this much action left:frown::frown:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You got action kid, just post up everything you can stand, go borrow more, steal some, rob a bank, borrow Nathans life savings, hock the camera's at Super Pawn and Post up!!!!!

See the above paragraph is how to manage a game when you want to get shot:eek: Just kidding Lenny is a VERY GOOD FRIEND!! i'm just busting balls.

Just kidding Lenny, i'm pretty sure your playing stronger than me by now, i aint played much this past year, i ran a 11 playing one hole the other night had all 15 up one wan in the jaw up table not makeable, had a real tough straight back for #12 I missed by a mile to get shape for 13,14. Pockets were on the big side tho.

see ya soon

eric:smile: