This is why I don't like to play for money!!! ...

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read it. We just disagree...and that's OK. As a courtesy, he should have said something like, "I have time for one set" or "I have to work in the morning so this is it for me", etc. Like most things in life, communication is key. Maybe I just take action more seriously. I'm trying to maximize my profit. Like Fatboy said, I look at it like a business situation. He is my customer and I want to make him happy so that he keeps "buying".

For example, there is this guy that I play all of the time. He has lost thousands to me. $2K in the last few weeks. The place where we play serves food and has a full bar. He eats and drinks like a champ. He always asks me when we are finished..."you got the tab right?". Sometimes it's $150 or so. I could be a nit and say that I would cover his time ($10) and he would have to pay the $140. But you know what, that would be like cutting off my nose to spite my face. This situation is no different except for the amount.

Maybe you should give that guy a players card and count the number of points he earns towards some great comps.

In all seriousness, I understand that in a potential big money game you would want to know up front when the game is over. We are talking about a $50 race that finished at 1am. Not only that but a agreement was made beforehand that outlined a race to 5 for $50. My opinion is they did communicate the number of games to be played. The little biatch that was complaining could have said he expected to play a second race if he lost. He didn't. End of story. This really shouldn't be on the OP imo

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
as soon as the guy got all huffy I would've put the $50 back on the table and said, "no problem bud, me being able to function at WORK tomorrow is worth more to me than your $50; thanks for the game".

It really is that easy.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me its gambling etiquette. If you could not play at least 2-3 sets, you should have told him up front "1 and done". Then he has a choice and both sides have the same expectations.

And the difference in poker, there is still a table full of players so you aren't killing the game and likely someone else to take your place.

Last edited:

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I believe most seasoned gamblers would agree that it is common courtesy to give a time/set restriction in situations like this. This was $50, not $5.

If I had been playing the OP and he pulled up with no advance warning, I might be a bit miffed too. I wouldn't go ballistic but I would tell him his ettiquette could improve. It's part of a pool player's "code".

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
To me its gambling etiquette. If you could not play at least 2-3 sets, you should have told him up front "1 and done". Then he has a choice and both sides have the same expectations.

And the difference in poker, there is still a table full of players so you aren't killing the game and likely someone else to take your place.

Why is it that the guy who can only play for an hour or two has to state that? If the OP would've lost, I don't think his opponent would have had a problem with him saying hes heading home....

You can't really expect everyone you play to stay til the room closes just cuz you are down to them. If you are looking for 6 hours of action, or at least playing till your opponent is broke, then why not say that before the start? lol

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is it that the guy who can only play for an hour or two has to state that? If the OP would've lost, I don't think his opponent would have had a problem with him saying hes heading home....

You can't really expect everyone you play to stay til the room closes just cuz you are down to them. If you are looking for 6 hours of action, or at least playing till your opponent is broke, then why not say that before the start? lol

of course not, he would not be quitting winners in that case.

asianevil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately that is the problem with starting a late set on a weekday. Personally I always try to establish or mention something before I start especially if I am going to be tight on time. Just as a courtesy to my opponent. As an example, "sure ill play, race to 5 for $50 but I only have time for one set tonight." So no matter the outcome, I am done after one set, either he has my $50 or I have his.

He probably felt that if he had won your $50 you would have stayed and kept playing to win it back, etc. It is always tough to quit winners and the other person be ok with it. I prefer and feel that communication or a lack there of is the problem in your situation. Had he known before hand that you were out after one set, perhaps the banter wouldn't have ensued.

JMHO
Carl

Agreed, I was on the flip-side your situation. I asked a guy later in the night to play some 9-ball. $100/ 7 game set. He said he only had time for one set. I said no thanks and went looking for another game. Best to state in the beginning what the game is and no questions later to dispute.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed, I was on the flip-side your situation. I asked a guy later in the night to play some 9-ball. $100/ 7 game set. He said he only had time for one set. I said no thanks and went looking for another game. Best to state in the beginning what the game is and no questions later to dispute.

Exactly. I am the same way, if a guy tells me up front 1 set. I just look for other action.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree with those that say you need to give your opponent a chance to win their money back, but I do consider it poor form to quit immediately after a game/set/whatever without warning while you're ahead.

If I'm in the lead or we're tied, I always let my opponent know when we're going into the last game or set. Sometimes they'll ask to adjust the bet, adjust the spot the spot, or just pull up to cut their losses. In any case, it's not as abrupt and gives them some time to think about their options. If I'm really in a hurry and playing sets, I'll sometimes ask to play a short one last.

Most people I play around here do the same thing, so if I am down more than one set or game, I don't expect to be able to get it all back that night.

AAplayr

Banned
I stopped into the pool hall tonight at like 11pm after a corporate party with the higher-ups. I'm practicing and my line of sight is off...missing everything by a hair...

I figure, no biggie, I'll come around...I always do.

A guy wants to play for money...I say sure...
8 ball? I say...
He sais , sure...race to 5 for $50...sounds good to me so we start.

We play our set, I beat him 5/3 ...and 2 of the 3 games he won were where I ran out and tanked the 8... I'm playing as bad as I can play, so I'm playing smart and controlling the table. A lot of defense.

He pays the 50.
I say I'm done...gotta work tomorrow. Nice playing. It's 1AM ...I GOTTA WORK AT 8.

This is where it goes where you think it's going...

He and his entourage peanut gallery start complaining...saying...so that's how it's done...your not gonna play anymore? , they are being assholes. I say...I gotta work...ey keep at it as I'm unscrewing my cues.

I say, really, does $50 bucks really mean that much to you? I make that every ***edited :)....REALLY???

He keeps flapping...so I offer to play him for a little more next Thursday, up the bet some, make it worth my while, ( Thursday is my 1 night a week to play) he sais he's only in town for like 3 days.
I explain I gotta work, he doesn't understand...I explain that people that live in Myrtle Beach aren't all like jimmy buffet. We work. I also explain to him that he probably doesn't want anymore of this, since he couldn't even give me a game and I'm dogging 8's...playing like a donkey...what happens when I wake up????????
Another set would put us into 2:30-3am ...can't do.

When is a good time to end a set...they're never happy when u gotta go cuz you have their money. So you have to play until they finally win it back????

I've never had someone hand over cash happily and not ***** that its over. I feel like throwing the measly $50 back at him and saying...fill your tank 1/2 way up.

SO FRUSTRATING...where's the fun in gambling???

If I had won that easily I would have stayed only if he upped the bet and posted. Then I would close the place and go to work on 4-5 hours sleep. Fish like that don't swim by everyday.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
I guess that's why it's WAY better to just play people you know. I have no problem with someone beating me and saying they need to leave at 1AM. Hell, it's 1AM!!! Do I really need to to keep playing till the birds start chirping in hopes of getting my money back? NO WAY! I'll catch them some other time....

I know I might be in the minority here, but I'll play for amounts that I'm willing to donate for competitions sake (or think of it as entertainment expense). I don't want to lose regardless of the wager, but know beforehand that I might. I don't want a LOCK when playing (where's the fun in that??), and I don't want a game where the other guy is a lock. The fun in gambling is the GAMBLE part....where it could go either way - not just winning the money. A large majority of so called gamblers don't want to gamble at all; they want to take their opponents money (not just win, mind you). String your opponent along and take every cent you can....which is fine if that's what motivates you, but don't get mad when that isn't someone else's reason for playing. I believe that is the reason behind the "etiquette", and really find it kind of funny.

AAplayr

Banned
I read it. We just disagree...and that's OK. As a courtesy, he should have said something like, "I have time for one set" or "I have to work in the morning so this is it for me", etc. Like most things in life, communication is key. Maybe I just take action more seriously. I'm trying to maximize my profit. Like Fatboy said, I look at it like a business situation. He is my customer and I want to make him happy so that he keeps "buying".

For example, there is this guy that I play all of the time. He has lost thousands to me. $2K in the last few weeks. The place where we play serves food and has a full bar. He eats and drinks like a champ. He always asks me when we are finished..."you got the tab right?". Sometimes it's $150 or so. I could be a nit and say that I would cover his time ($10) and he would have to pay the $140. But you know what, that would be like cutting off my nose to spite my face. This situation is no different except for the amount.
I just read through some posts and this one stands out to me. This is how you treat a customer.

A customer is a player who has gamble, but a weak game. Someone who can go off for a few thousand over time, but you gotta treat them right. I have had several customers and let me tell you it is a beautiful thing to be free-riding, up thousands and just adjusting the spot to keep them happy. If I give up the break to a guy who can't run out, what am I really losing? If I guy loses over $200, I will always pay time. It softens the blow of losing some and will bring them back to try again.

KLM

Registered
When I was young and played all the time, it was fun to gamble. But I would never bet more than I could afford to lose, whether it be 1 set or 20 sets of play. But if it was close to quitting time I would always make sure my opponent knew that and was in agreement before we played.

Also, if it were any amount of money more than just chump change, the stake would be put up before the game. Not much fun either to win a few hundred bucks, only to find out the guy does not have it. Been there, done that....like I say this was when I was young and dumb. I was always too trusting of anyone I played , that they would pay if they lost. The $50 might be small change to you, but it might have made the difference whether the other guy ate the next day or not. I know, that's not your responsibility, but maybe just part of why he was being a whiney biatch about playing another set.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
I just read through some posts and this one stands out to me. This is how you treat a customer.

A customer is a player who has gamble, but a weak game. Someone who can go off for a few thousand over time, but you gotta treat them right. I have had several customers and let me tell you it is a beautiful thing to be free-riding, up thousands and just adjusting the spot to keep them happy. If I give up the break to a guy who can't run out, what am I really losing? If I guy loses over $200, I will always pay time. It softens the blow of losing some and will bring them back to try again.

that post made my point exactly - thanks :cool:

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This whole thread is ridiculous. Here is a guy who plays egg a set of pool for a few bucks, wants to quit when he wins the set and now wants to go home. His opponent gets pissed off that this winner desides it is too late to play more and win the rest of this suckers money.

Now this same winner wants us all to see him as some kind of victim of the ills of gambling. Why didn't you just offer to play him one more short set for whatever he had in his pocket? You say you had way the best of it. Take him off!

First off, anyone can play and quit after losing and no one complains. There is no rule that says you can't quit winner either. That's not me though. Someone wants to give me his money i'm more than willing to take it. So I lose an hour of sleep. I think I will live through it.

But please don't complain if the guy you just beat wants to give you a bit of crap if you pull that on him! There were numerous things you could have done both before and after the set which would have prevented this situation from happening. You knew the time when you started.

IMO you are both wrong and need to grow up. Stop complaining and don't blame your mistakes on the nature of gambling.

Tom

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
If I forget to stipulate the time-frame and I gotta go-- I just let the cry babies keep the money.

Giving someone their money back (to me) is the ultimate "up your ass" move you can make. It's almost better than keeping the money, imo. Unless, of course, you really NEED the winnings. Different story, then.

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't always agree with "Gambling etiquette".
But I'm sure any longtime player and AZ member is aware of it.

So you might not agree with "you gotta give me a chance to win my money back",
but you DO have to expect it.

And since you can see it coming a mile away,
maybe next time you say something that will prevent the argument like
"ok but I don't have time for two races, I gotta work early. One set only. Cool?"

That is the perfect way to handle it. "gambling etiquette" with a stranger who plays 1 set for $50 probably would be shocked to see you packing it up without being told in advance that you only have time for 1 set. You certainly didnt do anything wrong and can quit at any time..but with strangers its kind of expected (in their minds) that more then 1 set will be played win or lose.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see nothing wrong with what the TS did.The agreement was $50 for a set of 5 games. Not $10/game/not $50/set,it was $50 for a set of 5 games.

People who don't quit winners will end up losers inthe long run.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Buy 'em a round then come back the next day and win more $$.

Question though, why 8ball? :scratchhead:

Hobart007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I just don't understand. If someone chooses to gamble then that is just what they are doing.. gambling. This means that they can come out ahead or not.

I think that the only reason that someone would need to know ahead of time is so that they could adjust their speed to give someone some matches and then clean them out. I would think that if someone chose to play their best and give an even match then 1 set or 100 wouldn't matter.

Maybe people who gamble risking money that hurts to lose are upset when someone walks away but I would think that it could as easily be chalked up to losing.. you know.. that thing that might happen when you gamble? Losing is a risk of doing business for anyone who gambles. If the winner had to stay until things are even then what is the point of the whole exercise - just to keep going back and forth until someone is cleaned out?

I love to play and will gamble on occasion but I don't get the part of pool culture that is sympathetic to people who get taken while trying to fool someone else into thinking they have a chance and then cleaning them out.