Right handed but with left master eye

poolnoob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone out there like me? Is there issues being left master eyed but plays right handed?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
My oldest boy is LED and shoots right handed. Never has been an issue, he simply moves hid dominate eye over the cue and plays pretty sporty.

BWTadpole

The Nitcracker
Silver Member
Likewise, I'm the same way. Over the years, I've naturally adjusted to this dominance. When I had my Perfect Aim lesson with Gene, it only took one shot for him to determine I was left-eye dominant.

So, in short, there are no problems with being left-eye dominant per se, but if a technique is taught with respect to eye dominance, that information will have to be taken into account.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Causes some issues............

Anyone out there like me? Is there issues being left master eyed but plays right handed?

Hi there poolnoob,

Being opposite eye dominant causes a few problems from the preshot all the way to the finishing stroke. Unless you learn the problems you can't fix it.

I do free phone lessons with Perfect aim. This is one of the issues that I clear up for players. Most of the time we miss shots because the wrong eye is trying to work as the dominant eye a little.

It will open your eye and cut down your misses in half almost immediately.

give me a call some night after 7:30 central time.

715-563-8712 Just trying to help. No charge.

poolnoob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there poolnoob,

Being opposite eye dominant causes a few problems from the preshot all the way to the finishing stroke. Unless you learn the problems you can't fix it.

I do free phone lessons with Perfect aim. This is one of the issues that I clear up for players. Most of the time we miss shots because the wrong eye is trying to work as the dominant eye a little.

It will open your eye and cut down your misses in half almost immediately.

give me a call some night after 7:30 central time.

715-563-8712 Just trying to help. No charge.

Thanks for the offer, that's really generous of you, but I live outside of the US of A . How can I get help then, maybe send you a video of me shooting?

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
There are a bunch of us that are LED and shoot right handed.. Geno helped me out quite a bit too, take him up on the phone lesson. It will be worth the price of an overseas call!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Let me get this straight....you shoot out of your left eye?..
..and you're right-handed?
Just like Willie Mosconi?

And you're complaining?:confused:

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am right handed and right eye dominate and had a genetic issue with my right eye(amblyopia) and this caused me to quit pool many years ago. i just picked the game back up and have been training my left eye and have had some success. i do occasionally start seeing doubles and its frustrating to say the least. im not giving up this time though. i hope i am being encouraging.

john

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Ok, time out ... I've said this before and I'll mention it again. Being right handed and LED I happened to read an article a zillion years ago in Billiard Digest that talked about this. I remember the article clearly because I was happy to read the content.

It said, that because we stand at an angle to the shot, with our left side and eye leading when we are right handed, it is best to be what the article called. "cross dominant"

I wish I could remember who wrote it, but it was one of those full page articles.

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
I'm right handed, left eye dominant, and shoot pool left handed. Also, shoot a rifle left handed. Play golf right handed. :cool:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
An argument can be made that eye dominance is not important in pool. What is important is that your vision center be aligned over the shot aiming line. This position can vary from one person to the next, regardless of which hand you shoot with and which eye might be dominant or not. Find your vision center and forget about everything else.

Regards,
Dave

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me get this straight....you shoot out of your left eye?..
..and you're right-handed?
Just like Willie Mosconi?

And you're complaining?:confused:

+1

Exactly.

Dale(who would ALMOST give his right arm to be left eyed)

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm the same, it's not a big deal. Because ironically my right eye has always been the stronger of the two, both before and after lasik, I've learned to compensate to get my left eye in the proper position but also allow my right eye to work as well.

If anything you may have to stand slightlly differently, sort of extend your bridge hand so your body is more like shooting an arrow as opposed to square to the table to allow your eyes to work properly. But certainly Gene is the expert in this area, I would give him a call if you need further help.
Scott

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Never realilzed I was an LED but I am. :grin: And left-handed but I play pool and do most everything right-handed. The only exceptions I'm aware of are my writing, which is horrible left-handed and completely bizarre right-handed, and shooting a bow.

It doesn't matter much nowadays with cataracts in both eyes, loss of about 30% of field in my right eye, and my eyes just won't synchronize as they once did. Going from 20/10 in both eyes to this old age chit sux.

But I can still see a pretty girl and I have beaten Danny Harriman a couple of times in tournaments lately. (He was probably feeling sorry for the old man).

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is tough my friend...........

i am right handed and right eye dominate and had a genetic issue with my right eye(amblyopia) and this caused me to quit pool many years ago. i just picked the game back up and have been training my left eye and have had some success. i do occasionally start seeing doubles and its frustrating to say the least. im not giving up this time though. i hope i am being encouraging.

john

Hi John,

Being right eye dominant and having to switch to being left eyed is really tough. the biggest problem is that darn right eye will keep trying to work as the dominant eye until you are just about blind in it.

You can force the left eye to the dominant position but the right will keep sneaking back there.

many players accidently make the wrong eye dominant a little and it totally screws up their aim on certain shots. . Forcing the other eye to be dominant is equally difficult.

Good luck geno......

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They were guessing.

Ok, time out ... I've said this before and I'll mention it again. Being right handed and LED I happened to read an article a zillion years ago in Billiard Digest that talked about this. I remember the article clearly because I was happy to read the content.

It said, that because we stand at an angle to the shot, with our left side and eye leading when we are right handed, it is best to be what the article called. "cross dominant"

I wish I could remember who wrote it, but it was one of those full page articles.

There is no advantage to being opposite eye dominant. In fact it can cause some problems that nobody could ever imagine.

I address the problems in my teachings especially in the Perfect Aim free phone lessons. Once a player understands these things he can nuetralize the vision problems that opposite eye dominant players have to deal with.

My words here are just not theories but hard facts that I have collected from hundreds of lessons teaching players.

And we are all the same. Every player that is opposite eye dominant experiences the same things. it's just that many players don't understand that there is even a problem. If your never showed the difference you never know there is one.

The blind man once said. I can't see what I'm missing.

If it's never pointed out you just keep missing the same way over and over and not really knowing why.

Have a great day geno........

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks geno. at times when my eyes strain and i begin seeing doubles i get headaches and it actually gets me tired. especially at night. i think if it werent for my eyes id be very accomplished as a pool player now. guys i played against years ago are now top players.

i thibnk i will get your video when i have some extra funds because it will probably help. thanks again.