BCA bands phenolic saturday at nationals

banky

Registered
Will be in print new rule book that is now in printing.

Check post down ways for more info. BCA and Jump cues

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Say it aint so :eek: How's anybody gonna play if they can't break? Sorry for the sarcasm. I just don't see the big deal.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
For break cues, I dunno if it's a big deal. Some of these beat to hell house sticks have tips that are so packed and worn and shiny that they're like diamonds.

But for jump cues it's huge. I've tried many times to jump without the benefit of the harder tip and it's a huge difference. Phenolic tips really do make popping up the cue ball super easy. It'll be interesting to see how this affects people's games.

skor

missing shots since 1995
Silver Member
As long as White Diamond tips are OK then I don't mind...

ne14tennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's True

The new rule book in effect for the 2009-2010 BCAPL season which goes into efffect 1 June prohibits the use of phenolic tips.

You can still jump, just not with phenolic.

This is for BCAPL sanctioned events. Read: Nationals and most likely your state tournament and any leagues that decide to adopt it.

TheMadScientist

Justin Richardson
Silver Member
I'd say good, but people will just find a way around the rule. They will cut a plastic tip out and glue it to the ferrule. Noone will know the difference. Or they will go back to putting a hole with a tiny leather piece in the middle of the tip.

They should just ban all jump cues. Let people learn how to kick and masse again. Bring back some purity to the game.

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
someone please link to the wording they agreed on? i've been wanting this ban for a long time...

-s

mongoose-

Banned
Are they banning only jump cues with phenolic tips or are they banning break cues as well. The phenolic tip definatly makes a difference if you ask me.. I can jump a full ball very easily with my break/jump cue with a phenolic tip without breaking it down to the jump cue. Of course the jump cue I can get over balls closer together but it is still a big advantage with that tip.

ne14tennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No Link Yet

Are they banning only jump cues with phenolic tips or are they banning break cues as well. The phenolic tip definatly makes a difference if you ask me.. I can jump a full ball very easily with my break/jump cue with a phenolic tip without breaking it down to the jump cue. Of course the jump cue I can get over balls closer together but it is still a big advantage with that tip.

On the page with the summary of rule changes for the upcomming year, it says:Phenolic tips are prohibited at BCAPL events

I would say that covers anything you want to use with that kind of tip

Bill S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Phenolic tips

The BCA Pool League is banning phenolic tips as of June 1, 2009. Cues are not an issue. Jump cues are still allowed as long as they do not have a phenolic tip on them. The harder phenolic is tearing up the cue balls.

Bill Stock
BCA Pool League
Director of Referees
Rules Administrator

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The BCA Pool League is banning phenolic tips as of June 1, 2009. Cues are not an issue. Jump cues are still allowed as long as they do not have a phenolic tip on them. The harder phenolic is tearing up the cue balls.

Bill Stock
BCA Pool League
Director of Referees
Rules Administrator

What about G10? That's some hard stuff. I would think if phenolic is banned so would G10, but that is just my opinion.

I personally like white diamond. They are just as hard as phenolic tips but they are still leather and can put english on the cue ball if so desired. It doesn't get too shiny either. I think Joseph Picone invented these? Great tip. 100% leather if I am correct.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Would it be legal to use a phenolic ferrule with the slightest sliver of leather over the top? Maybe even domed (very slightly) such that the edge of the "tip" is dead even with the edge of the ferrule?

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Well, from what I believe Mike Gulyassi owns the patent for ALL phenolic tips. I believe that he is activley talking to manufacturers and telling them that they can't make anymore or if they do they have to pay a royalty to him.

I am not sure if there is any connection here but it sure would not help Mike if his tip was made unusable in many tournys. I am sure I am reading too much into this, I am not good enough to know the difference to be honest.

btoneill

Keeper of the Cheese
Silver Member
What about G10? That's some hard stuff. I would think if phenolic is banned so would G10, but that is just my opinion.

G10 is a phenolic. It just has fiberglass in it to make it stronger. Other phenolic tips use linen/cotton in its construction.

Brian

mongoose-

Banned
On the page with the summary of rule changes for the upcomming year, it says:Phenolic tips are prohibited at BCAPL events

I would say that covers anything you want to use with that kind of tip

Thank you ne14tennis. I will bet there will be other leagues/organisations following suit as well. BUMMER! :(

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say good, but people will just find a way around the rule. They will cut a plastic tip out and glue it to the ferrule. Noone will know the difference. Or they will go back to putting a hole with a tiny leather piece in the middle of the tip.

They should just ban all jump cues. Let people learn how to kick and masse again. Bring back some purity to the game.

Absolutely, and let's go back to clay balls and wooden tables. Simonis cloth is really unfair and let's move on to basketball too. The dunk, out of here ... breakaway rims, no way ... the three point line, bye bye. Golf ... no more synthetic balls, no large head drivers, no wedges. Racing, no turbo chargers, no superchargers, no NOS, no oversized bores.

These things are natural progressions of the game that change it from its history. These things happen. It's how life goes. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but why ask for purity in pool and nothing else. Unless you follow an Amish lifestyle or more severe you have accepted the evolution of the world around you, but not your game.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
As much as there is physical change to try to improve games, there is also the RULE changes that also cause resistance. There has always been some level of 'resistance' for any change(s). All games/sports go through this.

Especially when there isn't a single authority for physical or rule changes in pool, it will be pretty much left up to the whims of all the different organizations.

These things are natural progressions of the game that change it from its history. These things happen. It's how life goes. .

TheMadScientist

Justin Richardson
Silver Member
Absolutely, and let's go back to clay balls and wooden tables. Simonis cloth is really unfair and let's move on to basketball too. The dunk, out of here ... breakaway rims, no way ... the three point line, bye bye. Golf ... no more synthetic balls, no large head drivers, no wedges. Racing, no turbo chargers, no superchargers, no NOS, no oversized bores.

These things are natural progressions of the game that change it from its history. These things happen. It's how life goes. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but why ask for purity in pool and nothing else. Unless you follow an Amish lifestyle or more severe you have accepted the evolution of the world around you, but not your game.

Jumping with toothpick is different than having nice balls and cloth. If a 4 in APA can line up with his tiny stick and fire a jump in every time, there is someting wrong with the system. How often would that same player even get a good hit kicking or curving?

There is a difference with pool and the pro sports you mentioned. If I wanted to go play golf with a shovel in my back yard, I could do it. Could I play on the pro tour with one? No. They wouldn't let me play with or without one. What if I could beat Tiger Woods with my shovel? Not because I play good, but because a shovel gets over all the trees in the way 95% of the time. Then it would not be a skill game anymore, and Tiger will soon be using a shovel to play too.