Ortman's Big "Run" Last Week

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ortmann's Big "Run" Last Week

I'm trying to figure out how many balls Oliver Ortmann pocketed without a miss last week.

In his third round-robin match, on Tuesday afternoon or evening, he beat Lombardo 100-10. But I do not know how many balls Ortmann ran at the end of that game. Since no 100-ball run was mentioned for that game, he ran somewhere from 1 to 99. Does anyone know the actual answer? For now, let me call that number "x."

In his fourth round-robin match, on Wednesday, Ortmann broke, Zvi ran 2 then fouled, then Ortmann ran 100 and out.

In his fifth round-robin match, on Wednesday, against Maropulos, Ortmann ran 100 and out. I didn't see that match, but am I correct that Ortmann ran the 100 directly after the opening break shot?

In his only match on Thursday, against Herring, Herring broke and Ortmann then ran 150 and out.

In his next match, on Friday, Ortmann missed his first shot after Herring broke, thereby ending Ortman's string of offensive shots without a miss.

So, it appears that the number of balls that Ortmann "ran" without missing (and ignoring the fact that he also made either one or two opening break shots during the "run") was
x + 100 + 100 + 150​

This would be somewhere from 351 to 449, depending on the value of x.

Obviously, this was not a run of the normal type, but does anyone know of other high run strings of this magnitude in competition? I know Hohmann had a phenomenal tournament a few years ago in Europe, but I don't know how many balls he "ran" across multiple matches.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It is quite likely that, in competition, this is the greatest number of balls pocketed without a miss. Ortmann's four 100+ ball runs, however, is not unprecedened. In 1979, Pete Margo had six 100+ ball runs in a single event.

Ortmann's total of 350+ is definitely not the record if exhibition play is considered. In five consecutive exhibition matches, Mike Eufemia (circa 1959) ran 150 and out for a one inning win, meaning he made 750 balls without a miss. At the exhibitions occurred in five different rooms, legendary referee Cue Ball Kelly felt it was more impressive than running 750 balls.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is quite likely that, in competition, this is the greatest number of balls pocketed without a miss. Ortmann's four 100+ ball runs, however, is not unprecedened. In 1979, Pete Margo had six 100+ ball runs in a single event.

Ortmann's total of 350+ is definitely not the record if exhibition play is considered. In five consecutive exhibition matches, Mike Eufemia (circa 1959) ran 150 and out for a one inning win, meaning he made 750 balls without a miss. At the exhibitions occurred in five different rooms, legendary referee Cue Ball Kelly felt it was more impressive than running 750 balls.

Wow! I've heard how great Eufemia was, but the oddity seems to be that he couldn't do much in tournaments.

Now -- how many balls did Ortmann run to go out against Lombardo -- anyone know?

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wow! I've heard how great Eufemia was, but the oddity seems to be that he couldn't do much in tournaments.

Now -- how many balls did Ortman run to go out against Lombardo -- anyone know?

It wasn't many, but I don't know the answer. Oliver noted after that match that from -1, he had a chance to run 101 and out, and ran a lot of balls but didn't close it out. His last inning was probably twenty at most.

Why does it matter? Even the verifiable 350 ball stretch of balls pocketed is not an official statistic.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Why does it matter? Even the verifiable 350 ball stretch of balls pocketed is not an official statistic.

It's just something I'd like to know and remember as a terrific achievement.

PoolGrapevine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ortmann was awesome all week. and to have all those big runs on film, a treat for us fans and the future fans. its a shame he didnt win, he was playing the best.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's just something I'd like to know and remember as a terrific achievement.
I think it is interesting even if unofficial. It's like Dick Jaspers' 34 consecutive 3-cushion billiards in one match while playing sets to 15. Not official but awesome.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In 2005, at the European Championship, Thorsten Hohmann had x + 125 + 125 + 125 + x = 375+

Wow, again!

Roy -- in the three 125-&-out's:
- did Hohmann's opponent make the opening break shot in each game?
- were all three games one inning by each player? (i.e., no other intervening safes or fouls before the run-outs)​

It sounds like you must not know what the x values were, but do you know whether they were long or short runs?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
yea yea

official...."Official" is a term used by suits to have control of you...They had a * next to Marris's record for how long...oh yea he died before they took it off to name him the "Official" Home Run King. If you done it you done it...breaks off withstand it all, when he wasn't shooting he wasn't missing, when he was shooting he was not missing...the run is intact....aaaannnd the runner is SAFE AT THE PLATE! GreyGhost 1 : Officialdom 0

This was a public service announcement brought to you by....

Attachments

• shrooms-gnome.jpg
    shrooms-gnome.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 649

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Wow, again!

Roy -- in the three 125-&-out's:
- did Hohmann's opponent make the opening break shot in each game?
- were all three games one inning by each player? (i.e., no other intervening safes or fouls before the run-outs)​

It sounds like you must not know what the x values were, but do you know whether they were long or short runs?

Most of the 125-outs were single-inning matches, probably all of them. Hohmann averaged 50.0 for the whole tournament.

Jason Koopman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to an E- mail from Accu-stats Oliver ran 475 with out missing (they have 3 of these matches recorded. he had runs of 100 X 2 in the preliminary rounds (consecutively). Oliver then ran 125 his next match and 150 in the quarter finals to = 475.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
According to an E- mail from Accu-stats Oliver ran 475 with out missing (they have 3 of these matches recorded. he had runs of 100 X 2 in the preliminary rounds (consecutively). Oliver then ran 125 his next match and 150 in the quarter finals to = 475.

Actually the runs were 100,100,150,and 125.

But it was not without missing. When he came to the table after the opening break in the last match, he missed his first shot. Then he ran the 125.

I didn't see the first match but the second match was against Marop. The third and fourth were against Earl Herring.

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member

But it was not without missing. When he came to the table after the opening break in the last match, he missed his first shot. Then he ran the 125.

I didn't see the first match but the second match was against Marop. The third and fourth were against Earl Herring.[/QUOTE

Dennis is correct.

100, 100, 150, missed opening shot then ran 125.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

I didn't see the first match but the second match was against Marop. The third and fourth were against Earl Herring.[/QUOTE

Dennis is correct.

100, 100, 150, missed opening shot then ran 125.

I forgot to mention that during Ortmann's last 100 ball run, his opponent appeared to give him a loose rack. A glowering stare from Ortmann resulted in the racker racking with his glasses on and making sure the balls were touching on the following racks.:cool:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I didn't see the first match but the second match was against Marop. The third and fourth were against Earl Herring.

Dennis: Ortmann's first run of 100 was against Zion Zvi on Wednesday. The game went like this: Ortmann broke; Zvi made two then fouled by failing to get the cue ball to the rail on a safety attempt; Ortmann ran 100 and out.

In his second game against Herring, Ortmann actually missed three times and also fouled on a break shot. The game started like this: Herring broke; Ortmann missed; Herring ran 2 then played safe; Ortmann and Herring each played two more safeties; Ortmann ran 125 then missed. So the 125 came in Ortmann's fourth inning of that game.

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Dennis: Ortman's first run of 100 was against Zion Zvi on Wednesday. The game went like this: Ortman broke; Zvi made two then fouled by failing to get the cue ball to the rail on a safety attempt; Ortman ran 100 and out.

In his second game against Herring, Ortman actually missed three times and also fouled on a break shot. The game started like this: Herring broke; Ortman missed; Herring ran 2 then played safe; Ortman and Herring each played two more safeties; Ortman ran 125 then missed. So the 125 came in Ortman's fourth inning of that game.

I kind of saw the Zion match from a distance but did not know he was running 100. On the last Ortmann Herring match I was sitting right near the bottom right pocket so I got a good view of it , but......

can you believe I had to leave for the airport while he was still on his run??

We got ims every rack and by the time I got to the airport I knew he had missed .

patscue

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

Dennis is absolutely correct. I stand corrected. My appologies for screwing up.
Regards,
Pat Fleming
Accu-Stats

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
In 2005, at the European Championship, Thorsten Hohmann had x + 125 + 125 + 125 + x = 375+

A blast from the past....Roy Steffensen

IMG_2345.JPG.....hasn't posted much since entering Norwegian politics

IMG_2347.JPG....Barack is pretty handy with a cue...but he needs weight
from Roy....probably every politician in the world does.

IMG_2346.JPG...if you're looking for action...approach this man with caution..
...he's a locksmith. :)